Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morgan Newton to UK
Oh how the times have changed. UK has got a 4 Star in Mossacowski and a 5 Star in Newton all within a months time.
Yes!!! I've been waiting for this to happen!! UK is on the rise.
Wow. Yes!!!!!!!!
This is awesome!!! Hope we can get somebody to catch the passes from these guys.
Well we have Aaron Boyd, but that will be about it for next year. Kyrus Lanxter has alot of expectation on him so hopefully he will breakthrough. Randall Cobb is the man to watch, Joker said he is the best player he has seen in a UK uniform so if Hartline slips up expect to see him get time this year, he is a QB but can play WR also.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, DeMoreo Ford, and my prayers go out to his family after he lost his brother in the past few days.
I figure that Cobb will play WR next season because of these two great QB's that will be coming in next season. What ever happend to the 5* JUCO wr?
Great to hear. But like others have said, hopefully UK can pull some top recruits that aren't QBs. Although getting these commitments should really help recruiting!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NIKE2010 Wrote:I figure that Cobb will play WR next season because of these two great QB's that will be coming in next season. What ever happend to the 5* JUCO wr?

Here is a link to his report on scouts.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8...id=3481910
**** Yeah!
This is awesome!
I think this is great news for UK, although I don't see both Newton and Mossakowski staying in Lexington. Whenever these two battle for the starting job, I think there is a good chance the loser transfers. Because I can't see either one of these guys being content with being a backup.

It's kinda unfortunate that the one year we get a 4- and a 5-star in the same recruiting class, they happen to be at the same position. Like someone else said, it would be nice if we signed a 4-star (or better) receiver for one of these guys to throw to.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I think this is great news for UK, although I don't see both Newton and Mossakowski staying in Lexington. Whenever these two battle for the starting job, I think there is a good chance the loser transfers. Because I can't see either one of these guys being content with being a backup.

It's kinda unfortunate that the one year we get a 4- and a 5-star in the same recruiting class, they happen to be at the same position. Like someone else said, it would be nice if we signed a 4-star (or better) receiver for one of these guys to throw to.

Maybe we can do what Florida did with Leak & Tebow, and the same that LSU did with Flynn & Perilloux.
I first heard this news this morning when I was in school and was pumped for the rest of the day. Another great recruit for UK Football!
This is good news for the Kentucky program.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Maybe we can do what Florida did with Leak & Tebow, and the same that LSU did with Flynn & Perilloux.

I thought about that, and I think that kind of setup could work for one season. One guy is the primary QB, but the other guy gets a set number of series every game, regardless of the situation.

The difference is that Leak and Flynn were both seniors, while Tebow and Perilloux were underclassmen. So, the job sharing only had to last one year. Would Tebow have been willing to be the "change-of-pace" QB for 3-4 seasons, if he and Leak had come in the same class? I highly doubt it.

I think the best we can hope for is that whoever loses is willing to move to another position, like WR. If you were one of them and had that kind of talent, would you want to hold a clipboard for four years?

That said, I don't have a problem with UK accepting both of them. They are too talented to pass up, and you never know if one of the two might get injured or not gain academic eligibility, or whatever. So it is still a good signing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I thought about that, and I think that kind of setup could work for one season. One guy is the primary QB, but the other guy gets a set number of series every game, regardless of the situation.

The difference is that Leak and Flynn were both seniors, while Tebow and Perilloux were underclassmen. So, the job sharing only had to last one year. Would Tebow have been willing to be the "change-of-pace" QB for 3-4 seasons, if he and Leak had come in the same class? I highly doubt it.

I think the best we can hope for is that whoever loses is willing to move to another position, like WR. If you were one of them and had that kind of talent, would you want to hold a clipboard for four years?

That said, I don't have a problem with UK accepting both of them. They are too talented to pass up, and you never know if one of the two might get injured or not gain academic eligibility, or whatever. So it is still a good signing.

Good point, and I agree.

Hopefully Hartline can do a real good job this season, then maybe we could redshirt Newton or Moss. But if Hartline struggles this season then I believe that UK needs to keep all 3 available for next season.

I know a lot of people think that freshman Randall Cobb should be one of our quarterbacks but we need his athleticism at receiver more so than quarterback.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Good point, and I agree.

Hopefully Hartline can do a real good job this season, then maybe we could redshirt Newton or Moss. But if Hartline struggles this season then I believe that UK needs to keep all 3 available for next season.

Don't forget about Will Fidler, and possibly Randall Cobb (if he doesn't move to WR). If Hartline plays well and the UK staff feels confident with Fidler's ability if Hartline got injured, then there is a good chance that both Mossakowski and Newton could redshirt.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Don't forget about Will Fidler, and possibly Randall Cobb (if he doesn't move to WR). If Hartline plays well and the UK staff feels confident with Fidler's ability if Hartline got injured, then there is a good chance that both Mossakowski and Newton could redshirt.

True, but I did edit my post after you quoted referring to Cobb. I just don't think that Filder will ever fit the profile for Kentucky.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:True, but I did edit my post after you quoted referring to Cobb. I just don't think that Filder will ever fit the profile for Kentucky.

I don't know if Fidler would ever be good enough to be the full-time starter, but I do feel he could be a solid backup QB. Which would leave either of the two freshmen at #3 or lower on the depth chart.

If neither of them is even going to be the top backup, why waste a year of their eligibility?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well here's the thing, Joker has already stated the Randall is the best player he has ever seen in a UK uniform and already has basically beat out Fidler for the 2nd spot on the Depth Chart. More Cowbell to your statement earlier, Ryan's dad said this evening on a Lexington news channel that Ryan planned to fulfill his commitment to UK, so I guess were gonna have one **** of a QB battle lol!
BlackcatFootball Wrote:Well here's the thing, Joker has already stated the Randall is the best player he has ever seen in a UK uniform and already has basically beat out Fidler for the 2nd spot on the Depth Chart. More Cowbell to your statement earlier, Ryan's dad said this evening on a Lexington news channel that Ryan planned to fulfill his commitment to UK, so I guess were gonna have one **** of a QB battle lol!

Oh, I don't doubt that both Newton and Mossakowski will both keep their committment and sign with UK. I just feel that there's a good chance that when they battle for the starting job, the loser may transfer.

Look at it this way: since they are in the same class, whoever loses faces the likelihood of holding a clipboard for the next four years. Do either of them want to do that? I doubt it.

As I mentioned earlier, it's possible that the loser could be converted to another position, such as WR or safety. But if he really thinks he should be a D-1 quarterback and a starter, then he's going to go elsewhere.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Incidentally, anyone else notice that Newton was listed as a 5-star by Scout.com, but only a 3-star by Rivals?

Kinda odd that they would differ that much in their assessments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Just thought I would let everyone know Newton will be playing on ESPN today SATURDAY at noon!!!!!!
Newton took his team straight down the first series and scored. This guy is big and quick. Very quick ball from what I've seen so far. He looks a little like Andre Woodson but he can run somewhat better. He came out of a juke move on one defender and went into a spin move before being tackled. Kentucky's future is looking very bright.
More Cowbell Wrote:Incidentally, anyone else notice that Newton was listed as a 5-star by Scout.com, but only a 3-star by Rivals?

Kinda odd that they would differ that much in their assessments.

He attended the scout camp but declined his invitation to the rivals camp or combine whatever its called.
I love this kid, he is the real deal especially he showed so much poise on that last series at the end of the 1st half. I wish they would run some more play action with him.
At the Half

13-17 160 Yards, 2 TD,
11 Carries, 43 Yards

Almost all of his passes are spot on. At the beginning when they made the comparisons to Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young, I sure hope the Russell part was because of his arm because the kid can barely flick the ball and it flies.
Final Game Stats

Carmel - 28 Cathedral - 21

Morgan Newton - 201 Pass Yards, 92 Rush Yards, 4 TD's
The kid looked GREAT on all aspects of the position. Nice comparisons..If you can be compared to Russell on the arm strength and Vince Young on scrambling ability, then that is a pretty complete QB! Merry Christmas to us UK fans.THAT'S FOR SURE!
He looked amazing, made a lot of plays on his own. His size and speed is what really surprised me by the way he ran over numerous defenders.

Very impressive... cannot wait to see him in blue & white.