Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best boys middle school teams in Kentucky
Who are the best Middle school boys basketball teams in the state at each grade level? Who will be the top teams in Eastern Kentucky?
7th grade in Eastern KY - Johnson Central, Hazard

State - Sayre, LTMS, Johnson Central, Clinton Co., Hazard

Honorable Mentioned: Wayne Co, Lincoln Co, Fleming Co.

If Scott Co only has one middle school then they are up there.

Don't know much about northern ky schools or Louisville area.

I just based this on Middle School state tournaments and aau tournaments.
I can honestly say that year in and year out that Shelby West Middle has some terrific talent and talented teams
The 16th region should have some quality teams Russell's 8th grade I believe has a player that saw a lot of varsity minutes last year. Verity's 7th grade should be loaded, and I believe Boyd should have a nice 7th grade team.
cart man Wrote:7th grade in Eastern KY - Johnson Central, Hazard

Eastern ky, virgie is by far the best 7th grade team they have beaten both of these 7th grade schools already.....
in 8th grade-johnson central,virgie,and hazerd in order
these teams are in 3 way tie for 1st place in the region because virgie beat hazerd, johnson centrel beat virgie and hazerd beat johnson central.....
so all 3 teams are great but i belive the best in my opinion could be virgie but the best right now is johnson central but mark my words i am not a virgie fan but i have seen this team play and they are the most dangorus team i have ever seen at such a young age they are dominate in the post and can shoot the lights out but the richardson kid is one of the better players in the state ...along with shne hall and the kid from hazerd #33 i belive the point gaurd...but virgie is to talented and loaded for most teams, but johnson central is good too....could go ethier way.
Wayne County 7th and 8th grades look good, but I called a game the other night with Southern Pulaski and their 8th grade will be hard to stop.
How in the world can you not say Betsy Layne isn't top 5 in the entire state? They beat Hazard, they played Johnson Central very tight and I honestly predict them to beat them if they play at the expo. And this Betsy Layne team beat Virgie last year at Pike College to death, and before you say they were two different teams, remember that both schools held everyone back! Johnson Central is the best in east Kentucky or so I have been told, and I believe Southern Middle out of Pulaski is the only team to beat them so far and Betsy Layne beat Southern by about 15. Betsy Layne and Johnson Central are head and shoulders the two best teams in the mountains, I believe they can beat anyone. Johnson Central will simply overwhelm you with there height and Betsy Layne will simply push you around with there size.
Besty Layne, Virgie, Johnson Central and Hazard are the best in Eastern Ky hands down.

As far as Besty Layne beating Virgie last year that's sorta irrelevant. Its a new year and players have gotten better and matured. Personally i think Virgie beats Besty Layne if they play at Virgie, and Besty Layne wins if they play at Besty Layne.

So the question is who wins on a neutral site? We may get the chance to see at the Eastern Kentucky Expo center this Friday is things work out like people think.

People are picking either Virgie to play Johnson Central or Besty Layne. These same people are over looking Feds Creek who played Besty Layne to a 2 or 3 point game earlier in the year.
aauhoops Wrote:Who are the best Middle school boys basketball teams in the state at each grade level? Who will be the top teams in Eastern Kentucky?

:Thumbs: When it comes to 7th grade b-ball, give the Bobcats some respect, undefeated thus far, ( we beat JC 7th ) , haven't really been in a close game..... 8th grade JC , is on top right now, with some really good teams in our area coming on, ( BL , Virgie , Hazard , it's pretty competitive, only making our region better, ( isn't our goal, some respect for mountain sports. and a state title for the 15th ) , I won't comment on the STATE , let's get it right here , and , then we'll worry about them...... ( BUT, just call , we'll play anyone 7th or 8th , it only makes us better !!! ) Stay healthy , and , good luck to all the teams !!!!! :Thumbs:
Hazard beat Johnson central 14 last week, they have beat Virgie twice and split with Betsy Layne

In Scott Co. there I believe is 3 middle schools Scott Co. Middle, Georgetown Middle and Royal Springs...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC/]
Saratoga_86 Wrote::Thumbs: When it comes to 7th grade b-ball, give the Bobcats some respect, undefeated thus far, ( we beat JC 7th ) , haven't really been in a close game..... 8th grade JC , is on top right now, with some really good teams in our area coming on, ( BL , Virgie , Hazard , it's pretty competitive, only making our region better, ( isn't our goal, some respect for mountain sports. and a state title for the 15th ) , I won't comment on the STATE , let's get it right here , and , then we'll worry about them...... ( BUT, just call , we'll play anyone 7th or 8th , it only makes us better !!! ) Stay healthy , and , good luck to all the teams !!!!! :Thumbs:

Let's not forget that Johnson County has 3 7th graders that start 8th grade, but do not play in 7th grade games. But when early February rolls around who knows they may play in the 7th grade state tourney. I think Betsy Layne and Johnson COunty will make a big push in the 7th and 8th grade state tournaments this year.
I made this list a year and a half ago for 7th grade. After the state tourny back in February I would say that Moss and Crosby are the top 2 for 8th grade this year. There are some other Louisville schools as well but they did not play in the state. Johnson finished runner up to Moss out of 54 teams last year. Betsy Layne missed the final 8 by 1 point and now have added Hamilton, Hall and Spencer to that group. Hazard got beat twice by 2 points but I feel they did not shoot the ball the way they usually do. Sayre needs to come off this list as they have lost players as well as Clinton Co. who has three players playing high school and don't know if they will play in the state. I have only seen Virgie once in the last 2 years so I don't know where to put them until I see them more. But, these four teams in Eastern KY will all be competitive at state. Moss and Crosby though are the leading two until someone beats them.

Moss 8th grade lost to Glasgow tonight, after leading by 18 at the half. Its the first game this Moss team has ever lost. Probably still the best team in the state, just not tonight. They'll have a chance for redemption in the Warren East Christmas tournament this weekend.
CADEREECE Wrote:Hazard beat Johnson central 14 last week, they have beat Virgie twice and split with Betsy Layne
JC didn't be Virgie twice they only beat them once
The Punisher Wrote:JC didn't be Virgie twice they only beat them once
I misunderstood
Virgie beat Hazard 56-54 at hazard first game of the season!!!
Johnson Central then Hazard then Betsy Layne
If your middle school topics include 6th graders, by all means Paintsville must be included, kent phelps, luke trimble, andruw rice, jordan ray,luke vance. As for 7th graders is hands down the bobcat bunch from Betsy Layne, peyton case, jarred jarrell, dustin rogers. Once again you can look to betsy layne for the best 8th grade class with hamilton, chase hall, and spencer.(sorry if i missed 1):Thumbs:
In Northern Kentucky the Ockerman Middle School 7th grade boys are very, very good. They have not lost in 2 years and have not honestly had a game within 15 points in 2 years.
Shelby West has very solid teams year in and year out for the last 10 years
What about South Laurel's 7th grade? They are 15-0 & beat Southern Pulaski in the Adair Co. Tourney. They were also 6th grade State Runner-ups last year. Don't count them out! Pretty impressive if you get to see them play!
i have 2 say that we have played hazard,betsy layne,virgie,and southern pulaski.i think that my team can play with any of the schools in the state considering that we beat virgie,lost 2 southern,betsy layne,and hazard only beat us by bout 10 points.when we played hazard and betsy layne was in a championship game in a tournameant including the 15th regional tournament.
I saw Crosby play this past weekend and they didn't have a close game in Corbin Shootout. They are athletic and can shoot the ball well. I think they won the 8th grade state tournament two years ago.
I think Corbin's 8th grade should be in this list. They are 14-1 beating the likes of Clay co. by 15, Meece by 17, and Knox Co. by 9 last night. Not to mention a victory against Lexington Catholic.
Their only loss is to Crosby, who they played closer than anyone only losing by 10.
if we are including 6th grade, RW Combs has to be one of the top teams. They have beat everyone to death. Only loss is to 7th grade team in overtime that they had beat twice previusly and was the 5th game that day. May have the best 12 year old around. IMO, from what ive seen.
Simons Middle Fleming co. is undefeated as of today. I think they went 23-0 last year as 7th graders.
In eastern kentucky there is no dout that the paintsville 6th grade team is dominate theyve only lost 3 games and won 15. these kids(kent phelps,luke trimble,andrew rice, jordan ray, luke vance, caleb price, and darren morris) are all heck of athletes... And an overall average of points per game is 45 per game:1:
The top two teams in Louisville are Crosby and Meyzeek. I watched Meyzeek defeat Crosby on a neutral court without their best player- the Martin kid. However two weeks later I heard Crosby defeated Meyzeek at Crosby. For years I have followed the ville's middle school basketball and it is about impossible to win at Crosby.

Crosby has five or six solid players and they will demostrate their talent at the high school level. Meyzeek probably has two of the best players in the state. They have a guard that averages 4 or 5 3s a game. He had 7 or 8 against Crosby in the game I watched. The Martin kid is 6'5" and he can handle the ball, shoot the 3, and has many inside moves. Martin is out of action until tournament time. Without Martin Meyzeek still has a front line 6'3" and 6'4" and when the state tournament comes around they will have Martin back... 6'5, 6'4, 6'3" and the guard. If anybody knows the name of the Meyzeek's guard please let me know. I heard he was going to Ballard.
Eaglesfan

You said Crosby played in the Corbin shootout? I wanted to go watch this shootout but didn't have time. Who did they play?