Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question #2
How many refs usually call a soccer game? I'm seeing two guys with little flags ... and a ref on the field.... sometimes two refs out there.

Explain this to me. What do the flagboys do and what does the ref do... because @ one game I attended, this one lady ref made calls, but the guy ref always changed her call.... overruled I think is what I heard others say... I have seen that sort of thing in other sports once in a blue moon, but it seemed to happen all the time in that game.

Is there an assigning sec for soccer like in other sports?

Annnd why do the refs wear colored shirts?.... and if you're a ref, do you have a closet full of colored shirts to choose from? Who decides what color shirts the refs are going to wear....

Why do the goalies wear shirts different from the their team?

I'll stop for now and let these questions be answered....

(oh and if anyone knows anything about the end of the season tournaments... please post!)
Lisa Douglas Wrote:How many refs usually call a soccer game? I'm seeing two guys with little flags ... and a ref on the field.... sometimes two refs out there.

Explain this to me. What do the flagboys do and what does the ref do... because @ one game I attended, this one lady ref made calls, but the guy ref always changed her call.... overruled I think is what I heard others say... I have seen that sort of thing in other sports once in a blue moon, but it seemed to happen all the time in that game.

Is there an assigning sec for soccer like in other sports?

Annnd why do the refs wear colored shirts?.... and if you're a ref, do you have a closet full of colored shirts to choose from? Who decides what color shirts the refs are going to wear....

Why do the goalies wear shirts different from the their team?

I'll stop for now and let these questions be answered....

(oh and if anyone knows anything about the end of the season tournaments... please post!)
For district play there is a 3 man/women (gotta be politicaly correct lol) crew, One head ref and two ARs(assistant refs-which have the flags) during non-district games it is normaly a two man/women crew which is two ARs on the norm one will call one half of the field while the other calls the other half. However one ref has the ability to veto if you will the other refs call.

The ARs (flagboys as you call them) make offsides call, which is each attacking player must stay even with the last defender (not including the goalie) before a ball in played through the attacking 3rd of the field. If you are even a fraction of a step behind the defender it is off sides. This is why you see them raise their flags. To go along with this they have the ability to ackwolege to the center ref that their had been a hand ball or foul that they have seen. Now the center ref had the ability to ignore the ARs flag to alow the play to go on. The head ref (center ref) had the ability to make any type of call. Fouls, Dangerous play, PKs and so on. Now to explain what you saw in the game against P-Burg i believe it was, is the other ref had the ability to over rule due to he was considered the "Head ref". Now did he make the right call I do not know.

Yes their is an assigner for soccer in each region, I am not sure who the assigning ref is in this area but I do know there is one.

The refs wear diffrent colored shirt to acknowlege who they are on the field, so they willl know who is in the field of play and who is a ref. Basicly that is the only reason for them. Refs normely wear red, blue, yellow or black. On the norm you will see red or yellow. The head ref will decide at the game what color will be worn.

The reason behind goalies wearing diffrent colored jerseys is to acknowlege who they are on the field. So the refs and players can distingoush between field players and goalies easier.

The tournaments at the end of the season are the same as any other. You have district play which is played at one location seeding being determind by Win Loss record in regular season district play. Two teams (winner and losser) advance to the regional tournament. With our region I belive it is not a 6 team regional tournament, and the drawing determines which two teams get a bye (must be a winner). The winner of region goes on into the sub sectional which is comprised of 8 sub setions (16 teams) one team has home field advantage determined by even and odd region numbers swithching by year. (Such as odd region numbers had home field last season so this season even will have home field advantage). The winner of that goes into Sectionals (8 teams) top of the bracket has home field advantage. Winner goes into semi finals (4 teams) which is played at G"Town @ Toyota Stadium. Two winners advance to the finals. Each post season tournament (district, region and state) is single elimination. State is comprised of the sub-section, sectional, semi-final and final.

I hope that cleared things up.Cool
INdeed it did... now ... what is a "PK"? You referred to it above... and I understood the other stuff, but have no clue about a "PK". (is that a place kick?)

And THANK YOU!!!
We'll be playing Pike Co Cen on Saturday @ Johns Creek. Maybe you can drop by around 10am!!!
Lisa Douglas Wrote:INdeed it did... now ... what is a "PK"? You referred to it above... and I understood the other stuff, but have no clue about a "PK". (is that a place kick?)

And THANK YOU!!!
We'll be playing Pike Co Cen on Saturday @ Johns Creek. Maybe you can drop by around 10am!!!

A "PK" is a penalty kick, which is earned by a hand ball inside the 18 yeard box or a foul inside the 18 yeard box.

I will try my best I know I am going to black gold up in hazard ut i will try to make it for at LEAST the first half.
Oh.. ok... THANK YOU!
Lisa Douglas Wrote:Oh.. ok... THANK YOU!

no problem any time!