Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle School Basketball? Can a school have two teams for one grade?
Can a middle school have 2 7th grade basketball teams?
i believe they can
I think so... it would be a blessing to have that many kids wanting to play ball.
15th region slamdunk Wrote:I think so... it would be a blessing to have that many kids wanting to play ball.

Tell me about it. Our 6th and 7th grade teams are low in numbers. But it seems like every year we have new talented 8th graders that come out for the team.
mcolem00 Wrote:Tell me about it. Our 6th and 7th grade teams are low in numbers. But it seems like every year we have new talented 8th graders that come out for the team.

Thats kinda how we are ( Allen elem) We have one 8th grader on A-team and the rest is 7th, 6th, and 5th graders. So basically our B-team is doing double duty, cause the starting 5 on B is the same starters as A.
You can have as many 6th 7th or 8th grade teams you have numbers for.
NEXT Wrote:You can have as many 6th 7th or 8th grade teams you have numbers for.

It would be nice to have more than 1 team per grade, but alot of times it is not numbers, its gym time, finding coaches, scheduling conflicts, etc. I know our middle school teams and some schools around us, normally have to ask and beg someone to coach. They are usually not knocking the door down to get paid very little for what they do. It's normally very time consuming, also putting up with parents such as myself, who almost all parents @ MS level think their sons and daughters are very talented and deserve more PT. I really appreciate the coaches at this level, it is probably the hardest level to coach because of some things I have already mentioned. For a lot of you on here that keeps complaining about your MS sports programs, go volunteer your time for no pay or very little pay. I know you can blame the administration as some of you have for your programs not being good, whether they hired the wrong coach, or its who you know, etc., when the real problem is us parents not doing more for our children. I can say these things because I have been there and complained (about the coach) with my older son, but I finally realized maybe I am not doing all I can(such as camps, summer leagues, strength and conditioning programs). I made these changes with my daughter and my youngest son and it is working much better. Sometimes we want them to be someone they can't and we make it harder on them than it should be.
riverrat11 Wrote:It would be nice to have more than 1 team per grade, but alot of times it is not numbers, its gym time, finding coaches, scheduling conflicts, etc. I know our middle school teams and some schools around us, normally have to ask and beg someone to coach. They are usually not knocking the door down to get paid very little for what they do. It's normally very time consuming, also putting up with parents such as myself, who almost all parents @ MS level think their sons and daughters are very talented and deserve more PT. I really appreciate the coaches at this level, it is probably the hardest level to coach because of some things I have already mentioned. For a lot of you on here that keeps complaining about your MS sports programs, go volunteer your time for no pay or very little pay. I know you can blame the administration as some of you have for your programs not being good, whether they hired the wrong coach, or its who you know, etc., when the real problem is us parents not doing more for our children. I can say these things because I have been there and complained (about the coach) with my older son, but I finally realized maybe I am not doing all I can(such as camps, summer leagues, strength and conditioning programs). I made these changes with my daughter and my youngest son and it is working much better. Sometimes we want them to be someone they can't and we make it harder on them than it should be.

Gym time is the #1 reason we do not have more than 1 7th and 8th grade team at Belfry.

I am the coach at Belfry Middle School and get paid 0$, I understand completely.
riverrat11 Wrote:It would be nice to have more than 1 team per grade, but alot of times it is not numbers, its gym time, finding coaches, scheduling conflicts, etc. I know our middle school teams and some schools around us, normally have to ask and beg someone to coach. They are usually not knocking the door down to get paid very little for what they do. It's normally very time consuming, also putting up with parents such as myself, who almost all parents @ MS level think their sons and daughters are very talented and deserve more PT. I really appreciate the coaches at this level, it is probably the hardest level to coach because of some things I have already mentioned. For a lot of you on here that keeps complaining about your MS sports programs, go volunteer your time for no pay or very little pay. I know you can blame the administration as some of you have for your programs not being good, whether they hired the wrong coach, or its who you know, etc., when the real problem is us parents not doing more for our children. I can say these things because I have been there and complained (about the coach) with my older son, but I finally realized maybe I am not doing all I can(such as camps, summer leagues, strength and conditioning programs). I made these changes with my daughter and my youngest son and it is working much better. Sometimes we want them to be someone they can't and we make it harder on them than it should be.

Agree completely!!
I understand I have 13 players from the 5th to the 8th. would love to have more.
at paintsville we do we have the good players on 1 and the sucky on the other
NEXT Wrote:Gym time is the #1 reason we do not have more than 1 7th and 8th grade team at Belfry.

I am the coach at Belfry Middle School and get paid 0$, I understand completely.

Sir you have my respect.

I would like to see schools have more than one team per grade.
bleedin blue Wrote:What if they said the same thing about you,would you like it? Thats not cool to put other kids down. Some kids have great potential but haven't been given the chance or they know the first time they mess up they're coming out of the game, that would make any kid nervous.

I agree:Thumbs: :Thumbs:
kybaseball Wrote:Sir you have my respect.

I would like to see schools have more than one team per grade.

Hard to have more than 1 team in Middle school, can't find coaches, maybe you could throw your name in there to coach a 2nd team.
lcalum Wrote:Hard to have more than 1 team in Middle school, can't find coaches, maybe you could throw your name in there to coach a 2nd team.

Ain't no need being a smart booty I just asked a question!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEXT Wrote:I am the coach at Belfry Middle School and get paid 0$, I understand completely.

I feel your pain.
I think if you have the numbers you should have two middle school teams.

I'll use Russell's 7th grade team as an example. There were 42 kids that tried out for 12 spots in the 7th grade alone. Of those 42 about 20 of them are pretty good players and similar in talent. The bad thing about only taking 12 for one team is it does not develope all of your potential players for the high school program.

Now at Russell these kids can still play in the school league against each other. The middle school division of the MMYBL at Russell has seven teams of 6-8th graders. 7-8 kids per team. The good thing is they get to play. The bad part about is they don't get the practice time that the travel team gets due to that lack of gym space that has been talked about.

My feeling is that if you have that many kids that can really play you keep them and develope them with the extra practice time. The down side of it is they may not play as much in the games. But two teams if you can find enough games for them both would be the direction I would go.

The 8th grade at Russell had about 35 kids try out I think. Again, about 20 of those kids are good athletes and could develope.

The 6th grade class is much smaller. I believe there were 22 kids that tried out for the sixth grade team.

Anyway if you could find a way with gym space and coaches and scheduling, which is not easy, I would keep every kid that has potential to play in high school. To me it is a waste of resources if you don't.
Campbell County Middle School has 2 teams of 12 per each team for both Boys and Girls: 6th, 7th, 8th. In the 6th grade, two teams are created by attempting to split the talent equally. In 7th & 8th grade, their is an A & B team.

For boys, which I am most familiar with, you get 70+ to try out for the 6th grade team. This is primarily due to very good Intr-Mural program that they have for elementary schools in the District. The Intramural league usually has ten teams with as many as 8-10 per team.

Tryout numbers begin to decline in the 7th and 8th grade tryouts. By High School, 30-35 tryout for the Freshman team. Many prospective players will transfer to a Parochial school by their Freshman year to get a better shot at playing time.

The success of the 6th grade teams is very good annually, with both teams competing for the Middle School league championship. By the 8th grade, there is a pretty significant talent level between to two teams, but they starters on the B team tend to develop as well if not better than the 8-12 players on the A team.

Gym time is not much of a factor. There are two gyms, one being a smaller floor. The main gym is a full size court (the Middle School is the former High School). The main floor can be split and still have two virtually full courts running horizontal with a curtain splitting the two sides.
CamelPride Wrote:Campbell County Middle School has 2 teams of 12 per each team for both Boys and Girls: 6th, 7th, 8th. In the 6th grade, two teams are created by attempting to split the talent equally. In 7th & 8th grade, their is an A & B team.

For boys, which I am most familiar with, you get 70+ to try out for the 6th grade team. This is primarily due to very good Intr-Mural program that they have for elementary schools in the District. The Intramural league usually has ten teams with as many as 8-10 per team.

Tryout numbers begin to decline in the 7th and 8th grade tryouts. By High School, 30-35 tryout for the Freshman team. Many prospective players will transfer to a Parochial school by their Freshman year to get a better shot at playing time.

The success of the 6th grade teams is very good annually, with both teams competing for the Middle School league championship. By the 8th grade, there is a pretty significant talent level between to two teams, but they starters on the B team tend to develop as well if not better than the 8-12 players on the A team.

Gym time is not much of a factor. There are two gyms, one being a smaller floor. The main gym is a full size court (the Middle School is the former High School). The main floor can be split and still have two virtually full courts running horizontal with a curtain splitting the two sides.

That sounds very similar to the system at Russell except for the two teams per grade in middle school. Russell has had two teams in the past but has not gotten away from that practice. I wish they would resume the practice myself.

Gym space is still an issue. For the Intramural league we have 22 teams. The gym at the primary school is full sized and where games are played. For practice it can be split with a current like you mentioned so two teams can practice full court at the same time.

There is a smaller gym at one school for practices but only there is only room for one team at a time.

The middle school and high school gyms are almost impossible to get practice time on for these younger kids. You have 3 teams plus cheerleaders practicing at the middle school with games being played there as well.

The highschool gym has the boys and girls varsity teams, the freshman team, plus the dance team, plus the cheerleaders all using it. Sometimes the Varsity will practice at the primary school gym as well.

By my terrible math skills that is 28 basketball teams (all levels), 2 cheerleading squads and a dance team all sharing 4 gyms. Needless to say gym space is tight.
Is there a grade school league in your school district?

Campbell County is at a stage where a new High School, second in last 10 years, may need to be built due to the growth.

This could create even further opportunities for more sturdents.
Yes it is the intramural league I reffered too. The Marv Meredith Youth Basketball League (MMYBL).

22 teams.

4 - 2nd & 3rd Grade teams
5 - 4th grade teams
6 - 5th grade teams
7 - 6th, 7th and 8th grade teams.

It is almost impossible to get all of them enough gym time for practice.

Russell used to have 4 elementary schools. Each had its own gym and kids played for that school. About 12 years ago they built the Russell Primary School which has K-3. 4th and 5th grades are at McDowell Intermediate school. 6th, 7th and 8th grades are at Russell Middle School.

Now without the elementary schools and the gyms that went with them there is not nearly enough gym time for everyone.
Belfry has -

6 - 5/6th grade teams

7 - 3/4th grade teams

7 - k/2 teams.

1 - 7th

1 - 8th

Plus the girls and boys varsity, JV, and frosh teams sharing 2 gyms.

Not fun.
Campbell County is very fortunate with the number of elementary schools, which all have gyms. This allows them plenty of access.

Each Intra-mural team only get's one hour of gym time per week, but that has been sufficient for this level.
thats wat johnson central has we have 4 teams in all
black a(8th)
shane halll
braxton blair
hunter ratliff
juwan mays
trevor sherman
truman salyers
jacob cantrell
nick mckenzie
seaton hall
slade mcpeek
Black B(7th)
josh hitchcock
harrison burchett
travis powers
patrick rice
jd harles
james rowland
tristan salyer
kyle gullet
bradley hall
that is the 2 black teams which is the top ten 7th and 8th graders and then there is the gold team but dont get me wrong the gold teams r still good some of those kids could play on black they juss dont because of #'s