Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somebeachsomewhere matches harness record
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP)—Canadian-owned Somebeachsomewhere matched the fastest mile in harness racing history Saturday, finishing in 1:46.4 in a Bluegrass Stakes division for 3-year-old pacers at the Red Mile.

Somebeachsomewhere, driven by Paul MacDonell, tied the mark set by Holborn Hanover in 2006 at the Meadowlands in 2006.

Holborn Hanover was a 5-year-old when he set the record. Somebeachsomewhere’s time is the fastest ever for a 3-year-old, breaking the mark of 1:47 set by Art Official in the Meadowlands Pace in July. Art Official beat Somebeachsomewhere by a neck in the Meadowlands Pace, handing Somebeachsomewhere the only loss of his career.
Facing 70-degree temperatures and a 10 mph headwind in the backstretch, Somebeachsomewhere had fractions of 26.4, 52.4 and 1:19.2. MacDonell said he hopes for better conditions next week to take on the record again.

“The conditions weren’t exactly 100 percent,” he said. “He did have a bit of a breeze in his face, but this just shows how great of a horse that he is. The track condition was excellent, though.”

Trainer Brent MacGrath had to treat some sickness before he arrived with Somebeachsomewhere earlier this week.

“He had three weeks off and he was a little sick in his last start,” he said. “I think we’ve got him close to 100 percent now. I think he’s got another half-second in him.”
Somebeachsomewhere will start next in the Tattersalls Pace at The Red Mile for owner Schooner Stables of Nova Scotia. The colt has won 16 of 17 career races and earned $2.3 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap...&type=lgns
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]