Poll: Abortion and Birth Control
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I am for the birth control pill, but pro-life
44.74%
I am against the birth control pill, but pro-choice
0%
I am for the birth control pill and pro-choice
50.00%
I am against the birth control pill and pro-life
2.63%
I have no idea
2.63%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birth Control and Abortion - what are you for?
More Cowbell Wrote:My rebuttal to each of your points...

First, everyone who is pro-choice says that they are not out on the street telling people to get abortions. As if that supposedly relieves their conscience of any guilt. That's like saying, "I don't believe in murder, and I'm not telling other people to go out and kill, but it's none of my business if they want to kill someone." If you support the right to kill, you're still supporting the right to kill.

As for making abortion legal in order to prevent "back-alley" abortions, that is a weak argument. Just because people would break the law, is a reason to not have a law against something? No matter what law you're talking about, there will always be someone who will break it, possibly getting hurt in the process. The solution is not to eliminate every law, so as to protect the law-breakers.

Finally, the "her body, her choice" argument. You're correct, it is her body, all except for that little mass of cells that she is trying to get rid of... that is not her body, it belongs to another life. The anti-abortion position is not about legislating God's commandments, it's about protecting human rights, and the fight against those who believe unborn children have no rights.

(1) I do not yell, "human willed miscarriage today" on the street: I do not feel guilt or need to appease guilt, despite your "Appalachian religion" based appeal to it. (2) My conscience is just fine. (3) I am pretty sure you make value judgments as to the value of human life in relative terms frequently. (4) If human beings were perfect decision makers, your absence of feeling for, what in other places on here, people refer to as "stupid women making stupid choices," might strike some in terms of self-tried abortions which lead to death (a historical reality that was very common). (5) You keep saying, "Religion has nothing to do with it." Are you serious?
Messages In This Thread
Birth Control and Abortion - what are you for? - by thecavemaster - 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM