Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN Electoral College Map/Calculator
Pretty neat to mess around with. Check it out....
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/calculator/

Pretty obvious the only two states that matter at this point are Ohio and Florida...Obama appears to have the edge in both states right now as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Electoral College is outdated and should be done away with.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Electoral College is outdated and should be done away with.

Therefore, should every state have the same number of Representatives in the House?
what does 1 have to do with the other?
EC IS outdated.
Ppl say every votes count, but it doesn't.
Otherwise, Bush wouldn't be in DC right now.
alfus21 Wrote:Pretty neat to mess around with. Check it out....
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/calculator/

Pretty obvious the only two states that matter at this point are Ohio and Florida...Obama appears to have the edge in both states right now as well.

Actually, according to CNN's predictions, even if McCain wins both Ohio and Florida, he still loses. For that matter, even if he takes every state they designate as a toss-up, McCain still loses.

Why? Because they are calling Virginia, a state that Bush carried both times, for Obama. So it seems to me that unless he can keep Virginia a red state, McCain still has no shot.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Actually, according to CNN's predictions, even if McCain wins both Ohio and Florida, he still loses. For that matter, even if he takes every state they designate as a toss-up, McCain still loses.

Why? Because they are calling Virginia, a state that Bush carried both times, for Obama. So it seems to me that unless he can keep Virginia a red state, McCain still has no shot.

Calling Virginia? Have they already voted? It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings, people. Obama may very well win, if he does, look out---if you think things are bad now, you ain't seen nothing yet!
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:Calling Virginia? Have they already voted? It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings, people. Obama may very well win, if he does, look out---if you think things are bad now, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Roseanne Barr is backstage gargling salt water... What exactly do you think Obama is going to do? Start killing Masons?
I'm sorry, but our Commonwealth certainly isn't blue yet.

McCain went to school in the "Communist North" (Alexandria).
Obama will get clobbered in the southern/rural areas simply because of his race.
We've supported the Rep. for POTUS the last 10 times (LBJ was the last Dem. we backed), and 8 of 11 Congress members are Rep., yet we elected a Dem. Gov. 5 of the last 7 times.

Nothing is a given over here.
Things are starting to look very interesting. McCain is being seen as doing better than expected.

If McCain wins PA. Then he can afford to lose CO, NV, and either NC or Virginia as long as he pulls along all the other states Bush won.

Looks like PA is going to be a huge factor this election. I bet Obama would like to fight Murtha right now.
VHSL-helper Wrote:what does 1 have to do with the other?
EC IS outdated.
Ppl say every votes count, but it doesn't.
Otherwise, Bush wouldn't be in DC right now.

The Electoral College was set up as a way to give smaller states more power in the government progress. The strictly popular vote is called the tyranny of the majority. This system based on a designated number of electors based on state population, which is the combined total of representatives and senators, was created as a means to ensure that bigger states did not just push over smaller states. This was done because it is very common to have like people living in similar locations. They created the EC to make sure that you couldn't just focus on particular regions but the country as a whole. You need to try to educate yourself a little before you make stupid posts. Plus its not the EC that needs to go, it is the party system. Our founding fathers realized that a party system would prevent the government from keeping the nation's best interest at hand and instead people would vote strictly on party lines. And what do you know that is what our country has come to now.
so, you're saying smaller states should have more of a say in who the PEOPLE want to be president than the PEOPLE THEMSELVES? Sorry, but I don't agree with that.
If I win 49 states by 1 vote and you win th 50th by 100,000, is it fair that I win?

"They created the EC to make sure that you couldn't just focus on particular regions but the country as a whole"
Is that happening? Aren't the candidates focusing on western PA, rural VA, and a few other pockets in just a handful of states?
VHSL-helper Wrote:so, you're saying smaller states should have more of a say in who the PEOPLE want to be president than the PEOPLE THEMSELVES? Sorry, but I don't agree with that.
If I win 49 states by 1 vote and you win th 50th by 100,000, is it fair that I win?

"They created the EC to make sure that you couldn't just focus on particular regions but the country as a whole"
Is that happening? Aren't the candidates focusing on western PA, rural VA, and a few other pockets in just a handful of states?

Well lets say if New York and California's voters all voted for the same Candidate, along with some other west coast states, those states could have a stranglehold on politics with the popular vote. Eventhough someone in Cali or New York's concerns aren't the same as someone's in Kentucky, or Texas, or Alabama. The EC allows for the entire USA to voice their beliefs in the Presidential election on even grounds.