Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Referee Takes Down South Carolina Quarterback
[YOUTUBE="Referee Takes Down South Carolina QB"]V3Z-kAmbZCc[/YOUTUBE]

How has no one posted this!!?!?!! This ref slides his feet like a linebacker, lowers his shoulder, and puts a hit on this quarterback like a Hall-Of-Famer!!!!!!
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Spurrier and the SEC have both said that the ref. did nothing wrong. He was avoiding getting hit from behind. Plus, if you saw a guy running full speed at you, what would you do? Stand there and get hammered? No way, you'd protect yourself.

This ref. was a former Kentucky linebacker...he knows how to hit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Spurrier and the SEC have both said that the ref. did nothing wrong. He was avoiding getting hit from behind. Plus, if you saw a guy running full speed at you, what would you do? Stand there and get hammered? No way, you'd protect yourself.

He side-stepped to the right, lowered his shoulder and went into him. The only players behind him were the safeties, so how would he be trying to avoid them? There was 20 players in front of him and 2 behind him, and the dude doesn't have eyes in the back of his head, and even if he did, he would have seen that he was in no fear of getting hit.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
pay back for last weeks loss?? lmao
BFritz Wrote:He side-stepped to the right, lowered his shoulder and went into him. The only players behind him were the safeties, so how would he be trying to avoid them? There was 20 players in front of him and 2 behind him, and the dude doesn't have eyes in the back of his head, and even if he did, he would have seen that he was in no fear of getting hit.

From what I saw he didn't lower his shoulder and actually hit him pretty high. He definitely stutter-stepped like a linebacker would, but can you blame him? He is a former UK linebacker.

Also, the USC QB cut across the field...the play happened pretty quick. Yes, it looks more convincing in slow motion.

He may not have had eyes in the back of his head, but surely he has ears and you can hear and feel when something is going on behind you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Per ESPN.com

Hackett, a former linebacker at the University of Kentucky from 1967-70, ended up making contact with Garcia after the Gamecocks' QB rolled to his left and headed for the end zone in the second quarter. Hackett and Garcia collided at the 5-yard line as the LSU defense closed in.

"He was trying to get out of the way," Spurrier said of Hackett, according to The State in Columbia, S.C. "Stephen sort of cut back right into him. Sometimes that will happen."

When contacted by ESPN's Joe Schad, the Southeastern Conference office said after reviewing the play, it believes the umpire was in appropriate position. A spokesman said the umpire raised his arm to defend himself after a change of direction by the runner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Spurrier and the SEC have both said that the ref. did nothing wrong. He was avoiding getting hit from behind. Plus, if you saw a guy running full speed at you, what would you do? Stand there and get hammered? No way, you'd protect yourself.

Exactly..it's just a natural reflex, cant blame the guy
gish_7 Wrote:Exactly..it's just a natural reflex, cant blame the guy

Well it's at least a natural reflex for a former football player. Someone cuts into your direction real fast and is coming head on, it's either you or him. The ref. decided to stand his ground. I'm kind of glad he wasn't another one of those refs that gets run over.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
But my problem with the entire play, is that he had room to go in the opposite direction and he steps into the play and actually had a flashback or something..Maybe he had money on the game!
I know one thing, Garcia is a wuss. He let a referee with no pads take him out. Smile
Can you say HOOTERS commercial?
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
REF laying the smackdown!!!!!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:But my problem with the entire play, is that he had room to go in the opposite direction and he steps into the play and actually had a flashback or something..Maybe he had money on the game!

also must take into consideration the ref is watching the play not what is behind him or to the left of him.
He needs to wrapup and drive his legs through the tackle. Poor form but I guess you have to give him a break for his age.
Pretty funny.... It def. looked like he could've gotten out of the way.. I wonder if he still has elgibility? haha
What a joke.
Shoot, I wish we would've had him reffin' our game against USC this year...maybe he could've helped us stop the scramble..hahaha.
Im with you RavenBoy, it is a joke. If I had been Garcia, after the play I would have gotten up and ran right toward him again and nailed his butt. The ref had plenty of time and opportunity to move out of the way. I saw the picture in the Lexington Herald and it looks to me like he meant to be in the way and didnt try to move. Thats the SEC for ya and also a former kentucky player at his ignorant best.