Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Running Back of all time?
I'd have to say Walter Payton. Emmitt Smith isn't far behind him.

As far as potential wise, I think Barry Sanders could've been the best RB of all time had he not have retired at an early stage. He was a true specimen! Thoughts?
"bevinsville_bomber" Wrote:I'd have to say Walter Payton. Emmitt Smith isn't far behind him.

As far as potential wise, I think Barry Sanders could've been the best RB of all time had he not have retired at an early stage. He was a true specimen! Thoughts?

I will agree with you on Walter Payton but you can't forget about Jim Brown,
Earl Campbell both would flat run over you.
Jim Brown...he walked away from the game in his prime he is the best running back ever...as far as the best that actually stuck around probably Payton
Barry Sanders had the potential to be the greatest back but he quit to early and he was on a terrible team. Emmitt Smith is the best of all time. Stats dont lie. Number ONE in all time rushing yards. He was a very speedy guy but he could pound it inside then bounce out for big yards.
I'm going to go out on a limb here. I respect all the greats, but I think when it's said and done, the best RB all-time may be Ladanian Tomlinson. Have we ever seen a running with the skills he contains. A potential NFL leading rusher every season, speed to get outside, strength to power up the middle, and HANDS. He had a season of 100 catches. Most receivers never obtain that number and he accomplished that from RB. I believe he is by far the most well rounded RB the NFL has ever seen.
Walter Payton, Jim Brown and dont forget Franco Harris. So many good backs have come and gone. I would have loved to have seen Earl Campbell have a full career.
well i think Emmit might be. either him or Payton.
Bo Jackson had the talent to be the best ever if it hadnt been for his hip injury.
1)Jim Brown

2)Barry Sanders
3)Gale Sayers
sports whiz u remind me of someone i know.. after reading ur answers to all the sports threads i remind me of a track coach i had in high school
Jim Brown
"Johnny Ringo" Wrote:Jim Brown
he was a stud that played against middle aged white guys... he had no competition in his era.
"tomcat68" Wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here. I respect all the greats, but I think when it's said and done, the best RB all-time may be Ladanian Tomlinson. Have we ever seen a running with the skills he contains. A potential NFL leading rusher every season, speed to get outside, strength to power up the middle, and HANDS. He had a season of 100 catches. Most receivers never obtain that number and he accomplished that from RB. I believe he is by far the most well rounded RB the NFL has ever seen.

I havea to disagree tomcat, I think Marshall Faulk or Michael Westbrook are the most well-rounded RB's ever. But I think the best RB's of all time would have to be Sweetness, Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders, all 3 were on the same level of dominance compared to every other RB.
Faulk and Westbrook have dominated all around RB for the past five years.
1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
Top 4 list
1.Barry Sanders
2.Jim Brown
3.Walter Payton
4.Emmitt Smith
Bo Jackson could ve been No. 1,if he didnt get hurt
Walter Payton...some linebackers were afraid to try and take him down
1. Walter Payton
2. Earl Campbell
3. Barry Sanders
4. Jim Brown
Emmit wasnt to bad. Neither was OJ.
Emmit Smith
1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Barry Sanders
4. Emmitt Smith

But, Emmitt is not close to being top 3. But, him and Jim are the toughest backs of all time. Emmitt played the last three quarters of the NFC champ. game w/ a seperated shoulder. TOUGH CAT...no doubt.
1. Walter "Sweetness" Payton
2. Jim Brown
3. Barry Sanders
4. Emmit Smith
1. Walter "Sweetness" Peyton
2. Emmitt Smith
3. Jim Brown
4. Barry Sanders
5. Eric ****erson
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton is the best running back of all time