•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best HS Gym In The State Of KY
what about breathitt's colosseum? i think it is a one of a kind gym that you will not find anywhere else.
What's unique about Breathitt?
The dome?
PATS2011 Wrote:It still doesn't compare.. not even close in capacity. For a new school they should have built better...

New schools can not build as big as previous schools. New rules use the student body population times a constant plus a number (sorry I cannot remember the exact formula).

If a school wants to build bigger than the formula allows, then the district must raise additional funds (outside the local building funds) to do so....
palmer Wrote:What's unique about Breathitt?
The dome?

Well lets see, its one of the only if not the olny high school gym that has a dome. Plus the histroy of the Colisum is awesome. Alot of great players has played there. It has to be one of the most intimidating gyms I have seen. Pulling up on a bus from another school looking to the size of it would put someone in aww of it. When that place is packed its really loud!
Some of the largest gyms I've been in are Mason County and Boyd County. Both are huge!

Perry Central has the most practical gym. Six goals, two full courts with bleachers pushed in and a drop curtain, 4 or five concession areas, wrap around seating, plenty of parking. Great for summer leagues

Knott Central and Hazard have the best gyms to actually sit and watch a game

For atmosphere though, I don't think you can beat some of the old gyms like Hazard and Prestonsburg.
I would have to say SC
In my opinion the best and most up to date gym in the state has to be Belfry by far...
C.Clair Wrote:Well lets see, its one of the only if not the olny high school gym that has a dome. !

Betsy Layne has a dome gym as well. In my opinion Betsy Layne is the best gym to watch a game in. East Ridge has a great gym as well in my opinion.
C.Clair Wrote:Well lets see, its one of the only if not the olny high school gym that has a dome. Plus the histroy of the Colisum is awesome. Alot of great players has played there. It has to be one of the most intimidating gyms I have seen. Pulling up on a bus from another school looking to the size of it would put someone in aww of it. When that place is packed its really loud!

James A. Cawood High School had a dome.i think it was bigger than that 1. now the jr.high plays in it. so no its not the only dome.
I said one of the only, if not the only. Meaning more could be out there.
Domes are nothing new to Harlan Countians. I think Cawood's gym is a little larger.
I think that the Raceland Gym is pretty nice. I haven't been to many other than those Raceland have played. At Racelands gym, the home side has great seeting with backs and arm rests. I think that the visortors side should have it as well, but i guess that wasnt in the budget. Its a really nice facility. The consession stand is nice and the restrooms are spacious and clean...nice gym over all...and as at most Ram functions, the crowed spirit is wonderful. Its definitely one of the nicest small school gyms in the state.
C.Clair Wrote:I said one of the only, if not the only. Meaning more could be out there.

will i guess i need to read posts a lil closer. sorry.i think there is 1 more in western kentucky.i not sure were at tho.
ACB&JAM Wrote:In my opinion the best and most up to date gym in the state has to be Belfry by far...

I saw Belfry's gym. It's not as nice as Harlan County's. I like Letcher's better, too, as far as new gyms.
I personally like Racelands as well, may be because its newer, but I like the layout of it. Mason has a nice gym also.
Pike County Central has a very nice gym. Nice location easy access from all surrounding areas. Seats alot of people. I agree they do need to use the ticket office and just post ticket takers at a few doors. This would clear up alot of cogestion. Also the concessions should be moved to the front entrance where the trophy cases are and move the trophies to either side and possibly to different places throughout the gym, don't know maybe a possibility. But PC in my opinion is one of the best places for games.
Muskie13 Wrote:I personally like Racelands as well, may be because its newer, but I like the layout of it. Mason has a nice gym also.
I like the layout of Raceland's gym and the newness makes it nice. There something about the lighting or background though. Its a terrible place to shoot. Its to bright.

I like the fieldhouse in Maysville and Montgomery County's new gym much better.
Lawrence Countys is lookin pretty nice!!!
None better than Harlan County's. guarantee it.
FBALL Wrote:I like the layout of Raceland's gym and the newness makes it nice. There something about the lighting or background though. Its a terrible place to shoot. Its to bright.

I like the fieldhouse in Maysville and Montgomery County's new gym much better.

I Agree. Raceland has a nice gym but it is pretty bright in there..
If you go by crowd and student section/atmosphere I would list them....

1) Shelby Valley (Blue Crew Very Loud)
2) Prestonsburg (Fans right on top of you, very clever student section)
3) Allen Central (Student sections on the end makes it hard to focus)
4) Paintsville (The small arena and low celing help to make noise)
5) Hazard (Alot of passion for the Bulldogs in that school)

Just IMO.
Allen Central has a nice gym
I to am a huge fan of Memorial Gym!! Only problem is the parking!!
We Played At Harlan Cc On Monday. Their New Gym Is Unreal You Have To See It To Believeit. It Is Better Than Most College Gyms. I Love To Play At Knott Cc But Harlan Take The Prize.
gish_7 Wrote:Allen Central has a nice gym
Yeah, I agree... if they would get some new bleachers up top it could be really nice.

I heard at one time they even had a pool under neath, but it was filled in so ROTC could have a place of their own????
Everyone seems to have good opinions on these all these gyms, and it seems there are alot up for consideration. How about posting some pictures of these places and letting others that haven't been lucky enough to see them, have a look and compare? Just a thought.
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:I to am a huge fan of Memorial Gym!! Only problem is the parking!!

That's a big, big problem.
I don't like going there because of that.
thug Wrote:Lawrence Countys is lookin pretty nice!!!

I have not been in LC's gym since they had the rubber floor and gray walls.. I felt like i was outside shooting at midnight it was so dark in there..
C.Clair Wrote:Well lets see, its one of the only if not the olny high school gym that has a dome. Plus the histroy of the Colisum is awesome. Alot of great players has played there. It has to be one of the most intimidating gyms I have seen. Pulling up on a bus from another school looking to the size of it would put someone in aww of it. When that place is packed its really loud!

Idk what's so intimidating about the size, KCC's is way bigger, and after the refurbishing, it's a lot nicer as well. KCC has the second largest gym in the state (info on KHSAA.org), but is also tied with two other schools. The record count at the Morton Combs Athletic Complex has been 6,000.
This is really a stupid post. Unless you have a select few that visits each and every gym in KY to cast their vote. Then you can never really tell who has the best. So if you want to be serious and judge, then get a panel together, date where, when, what, how and why they think its the best. I have been to many games but not enough to tell you which gym in the state of KY is the best. Go Figure.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next