Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry Pirates
74.50%
Russell Red Devils
25.50%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry (Class 3A 2nd Round)
Boozer Wrote:All I can say is If you let W Carter play with you in the first half. Belfry has had it this week. Russell come to Belfry with an attitude. :eek:

All I can say is if you have an "attitude" after beating Pike Central and having no other quality victory, then you may have some issues to worry about.

Every team comes to Belfry with an attitude, just like Russell gets everyone else's best shot. I personally would think an undefeated Belfry team who feels they have unfinished business left in Louisville might have a little swagger themselves.
SmackDaddy2 Wrote:Belfry is tough team no doubt about that! But they do have some weekness's that Russell should exploit! If Ivan mixes the run and pass properly Russell should move the ball well! I then think it will come down to defense to determine the outcome!!

...and Russell suddenly has cured all their tackling, blocking, and run stopping issues when they beat Pike Central?

What kind of weaknesses do you think Belfry have?
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:Just because I added a lil Pfft...to it...lol..there was sensitivity...honestly I am teasing..and I apologize if anyone was offended...not my intention..

You didn't offend me I like a little spice throwed in. Sorry if i came off that way you can tease me all ya want.Smile Smile Smile

I think a crow thread would be great as long as everybody doesn't take it seriously.
what i was saying in an earlier post eku,is that i think belfry wins by a couple for touch downs,insaying that asland beat russell then jc beats asland,i was just saying that russell defence is not as good as jc,because one of russell fans said belfry would only score 13points,i know they always bring it when they play belfry..
I picked Russell in this poll. I think they are clicking on all cylinders right now. They are looking pretty good. It will be a squeaker though. If Russell can play like they have in their last 2 games, i'm givin the W to them thanks to a last minute Dolly field goal

Russell 34
Belfry 31
I think russell will win this one they are firing on all cylinders.

russell 35

belfry 14:flame:
Devils have beat noone, Belfry just JC, neither near as good as they think but Belfry wins. Way more speed.
Well I picked Belfry but I hope I'm wrong.

Belfry has more size and is stronger upfront. That is where I believe the game will ultimately be decided.

It won't be a blowout though. Russell is not weak and the do have a speed advantage on Belfry.

I have been saying all year that while this Russell team has been frustrating at times they have alot of potential. They are not nearly as bad as what some people think and hope.

Yes they lost to four good teams this season. Two of those games they really should have won. Look what the teams that beat them did last night as well.

Simon Kenton just blew out Lafayette.
Mason County put up 68.
Raceland as much as I hate to say it might be the best team in the east besides Bell County.
Ashland Rushes for nearly 400 yards in beating Dixie Heights.

Thats not bad.

Yes Belfry did get that very impressive victory over JC. Russell will be the second best team that Belfry has seen though and I think most who haven't seen them may be suprised by how physical Russell is.

Off the top of my head though and I HOPE I'M WRONG.

Belfry 27
Russell 17

PS

EKU 05, I still think Simon Kenton is better than any 3 a team and Ashland would be right near the top.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Russell is the one team Belfry will never overlook.

I'll be the very first to say that if Belfry does not bring their A-game and turn the ball over they can and will lose... but when Belfry is on top of their game they are 2-3 TD's better than any other team in 3A except Lou. Central....

Any Russell fan who puts alot of stock in Belfry struggling with WC in the First half is in for a rude awakening...

Any Belfry fan who takes stock in Ashland beating Russell, then JC destroying Ashland may be equally dellusional.

I like you more and more with each and every post. You can see the truth of this game not the 55-12 thrashing that Belfry is about to lay on Russell.

I remember being at the Cam in 06 and Andrew Joyce interviewing me and me saying iot would be a good close game. I had many looking at me like I was crazy. There were many that were predicting a Belfry blow out. Turned out 19-0. That's a fairly close game. No where near a blow out.

I think this one will be a decent game. Russell hasn't been "blown out" in the last 5-6 years that I can recall. Sure they may lose but just like 04,05 and 06 Belfry will know they have been in a game.

Good luck to both and I hope to make it down there to tailgate and watch the game.
PS

EKU 05, I still think Simon Kenton is better than any 3 a team and Ashland would be right near the top.[/QUOTE]

Smile Good analysis though.....

The key for Russell is figuring out effective ways to use their advantages to hurt Belfry. Russell has more team speed and a defense with the ability to force turnovers.

IMO what will decide this game is whether Russell plays conservative on defense or if they play aggressive. A conservative approach would mean Belfry will control tempo and impose their will physically, if Russell plays aggressive and fail to tackle then Belfry may put up 40+ points. If Russell plays aggressive and disrupts Belfry in the backfield and make tackles, the Devils may just hvae what it takes to shut down Belfry's offense.

It's also going to be interesting to see what develops out of both teams' passing games. This is the best passing team Belfry has had in recent years, they just have had no real need to use it. Russell also has proven to have numerous weapons. In the games Russell has beat Belfry their passing game and QB play has been one of the biggest factors.
[quote=FBALL]Raceland as much as I hate to say it might be the best team in the east besides Bell County.

I think you're giving Raceland a little too much credit.......

I don't think there's any way the Rams could walk away from.... let's say.... Johnson Central, Breathitt or Belfry with a win...regardless where it's played. I'm not sure they could beat Russell again.

Don't get me wrong...Raceland has a nice team....but to say they may be the 2nd best team in the east ....just behind Bell Co....is a complete stretch.
As far as Belfry/Russell.....it's a crap shoot. Home field advantage will definitely play a role...much like the 2005 game in Russell.

In the end...IMO....home field and the power game is too much...Belfry 28 Russell 14
kdrn Wrote:Devils have beat noone, Belfry just JC, neither near as good as they think but Belfry wins. Way more speed.
Was that necessary?TongueirateSho
Midee1 Wrote:I like you more and more with each and every post. You can see the truth of this game not the 55-12 thrashing that Belfry is about to lay on Russell.

I remember being at the Cam in 06 and Andrew Joyce interviewing me and me saying iot would be a good close game. I had many looking at me like I was crazy. There were many that were predicting a Belfry blow out. Turned out 19-0. That's a fairly close game. No where near a blow out.

I think this one will be a decent game. Russell hasn't been "blown out" in the last 5-6 years that I can recall. Sure they may lose but just like 04,05 and 06 Belfry will know they have been in a game.

Good luck to both and I hope to make it down there to tailgate and watch the game.
We would love to have you and of course you know that you are always welcome!
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:Was that necessary?TongueirateSho

everyone is allowed thier own opinion..
BelfryPirates Wrote:I'm kind of curious why all the Sheldon Clark people think Belfry will lose. Is it an actual prediction, or just hoping that we do lose?

I have only seen 1 SC fan on here who stated their opinion. Most SC fans I know pick Belfry to win.
Belfry wins this and state.
Write that down.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:[quote=FBALL]Raceland as much as I hate to say it might be the best team in the east besides Bell County.

I think you're giving Raceland a little too much credit.......

I don't think there's any way the Rams could walk away from.... let's say.... Johnson Central, Breathitt or Belfry with a win...regardless where it's played. I'm not sure they could beat Russell again.

Don't get me wrong...Raceland has a nice team....but to say they may be the 2nd best team in the east ....just behind Bell Co....is a complete stretch.

I don't think it is that much of a stretch. If you knew me you would know how hard that is for me to say. The rams have size on the line and a nice power game to go along with decent speed.

But thats not what this thread is about.
Mueller 86 Wrote:I think russell will win this one they are firing on all cylinders.

russell 35

belfry 14:flame:

I don't see how a win over Pike Central proves you're firing on all cylinders.....
Hail Mary Wrote:I have only seen 1 SC fan on here who stated their opinion. Most SC fans I know pick Belfry to win.

It wasn't just here. I noticed it elsewhere too.
Belfry is big but I don't think they will stop the power running with big #44 Storm leading the way for Drew. Storm seems to open some massive holes and brings a new deminsion to this offense. Look for huge lead blocks leading to points on the scoreboard. Not to mention you still have to respect the fact that he can run with the ball. Regardless this is going to be a great game and a close game at that. Devils win by a touchdown.:Thumbs:
BLOOD RED Wrote:Belfry is big but I don't think they will stop the power running with big #44 Storm leading the way for Drew. Storm seems to open some massive holes and brings a new deminsion to this offense. Look for huge lead blocks leading to points on the scoreboard. Not to mention you still have to respect the fact that he can run with the ball. Regardless this is going to be a great game and a close game at that. Devils win by a touchdown.:Thumbs:

The line is what makes it happen.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:PS

EKU 05, I still think Simon Kenton is better than any 3 a team and Ashland would be right near the top.[/QUOTE]

Smile Good analysis though.....

The key for Russell is figuring out effective ways to use their advantages to hurt Belfry. Russell has more team speed and a defense with the ability to force turnovers.

IMO what will decide this game is whether Russell plays conservative on defense or if they play aggressive. A conservative approach would mean Belfry will control tempo and impose their will physically, if Russell plays aggressive and fail to tackle then Belfry may put up 40+ points. If Russell plays aggressive and disrupts Belfry in the backfield and make tackles, the Devils may just hvae what it takes to shut down Belfry's offense.

It's also going to be interesting to see what develops out of both teams' passing games. This is the best passing team Belfry has had in recent years, they just have had no real need to use it. Russell also has proven to have numerous weapons. In the games Russell has beat Belfry their passing game and QB play has been one of the biggest factors.
Good points.

I think the deciding factor is going to be in the head.

Belfry has been steady all year. Granted they have really only been tested once. Passed that test with flying colors I might add. They believe they will impose their will just as they believed they would against Johnson Central. That mental edge is IMO the reason they beat the Eagles.

Russell has been all over the place. They have played some pretty good teams and at times looked good against all of them. Russell's nemesis has been the big play. Believe it or not when they have been on offense. They have had to many negative plays on offense. Be it due to missed assignments or ridiculous penalties. These are drive killers. If they drive the ball and then have the negative plays against Belfry they would really be digging themselves a hole. They have had momentum in some of those games this year and then given it back because these mistakes. I truly believe that if Russell plays without the silly mistakes on offense and keep their heads on straight then this is anybody's game.
BelfryPirates Wrote:I don't see how a win over Pike Central proves you're firing on all cylinders.....

It doesn't

What most took away from the Pike County Central game is that Russell came out from the start and did what they were supposed to do. They can play better but they came out and ended that game early like they were expected to.

When you are talking about this Russell team the biggest question has not been talent but effort. Over the last few games and even in that first round game that has not been an issue. That is encouraging to most Russell fans.
your right the line is what makes it happen but the reality is one side of the line seems to be fireing on all cylinders whaer as the other side appears to have dropped a cylinder which make our the backfiel predictable which then puts the extra pressure on your backfield to Get - R - Done. Not the best situation to be in but definetly not the worst. The passing game seems to be sparking but I have not figured out why Russell has not utilized Mike Dillion as a pass receiving tight end. The kid is at least 6' 5" and strong and has great hands seems like a heck of a weapon that could very well be a difference maker.
I really think Russell is putting it on the line now.
Boozer Wrote:I really think Russell is putting it on the line now.
that is the time of year it is put it all on the line leave nothing to chance and hope for the best. gonna be a great game.
I will commend Russell on turning their season around. I will also note that I detected a sputter of a start last night for Belfry (very unusual for them). But seriously, no way will Russell come into Belfry and pull this one out. The only unknown is the margin and that depends on how each team plays.
seems like its gonna be a long week lol :eek:
I kind of like the way this is going right now.

Most people think Russell is down. Most Also think Belfry is unbeatable. There is the mind game in this.

True Russell has had some disappointments this year. Belfry has looked very good.

Here is the rub though. Belfry is still a team made up of a bunch of high school kids. They are not a machine they are human.

I'm sure that the kids from Russell don't feel like they are just going to go through the motions and lose. They have been in enough big games against some very good teams to know that they all bleed, sweat and hurt the same.

I think were in for a pretty good football game.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next