Poll: ???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
63.64%
No
36.36%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should HS baseball go to Wooden Bats only?
southpaw Wrote:Brief history lesson. Well from 1983- 1986 wasnt allowed to use anything but wood bats in the 57th district. And also wasnt allowed to wear metal cleets.

Who all is in the 57th?
Thats actually kinda cool...lol
Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, Johnson Central, Prestonsburg
southpaw Wrote:Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, Johnson Central, Prestonsburg

Prestonsburg is in the 58th?, Is he asking now or back then? You would have to add Magoffin and LC now, but i have no idea about back then.
Am i that old i know the district has been done over and over.
I say keep metal bats..theres no rule saying kids cant use wooden bats so let it be there chose.
No, Stay with Metal.
I completely believe that High School should move to use wooden bats. We won't see as many long balls then, of course, but swinging a wooden bat actually improves a players swing. By using a wooden bat early and often, you learn how to swing it. Swinging a wooden bat and a metal bat aren't the same. Swinging a wooden bat though and swinging it well though will show you exactly how to swing a bat and then it will only improve your swing as a whole. So say if the player then goes to play college ball, by swinging a heavier wooden bat in high school, he will have more bat speed and more proper form when using a metal bat. It would be a great move if the state moved toward using wooden bats.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:I completely believe that High School should move to use wooden bats. We won't see as many long balls then, of course, but swinging a wooden bat actually improves a players swing. By using a wooden bat early and often, you learn how to swing it. Swinging a wooden bat and a metal bat aren't the same. Swinging a wooden bat though and swinging it well though will show you exactly how to swing a bat and then it will only improve your swing as a whole. So say if the player then goes to play college ball, by swinging a heavier wooden bat in high school, he will have more bat speed and more proper form when using a metal bat. It would be a great move if the state moved toward using wooden bats.

????How does wood help your form? I still don't understand how a wooden bat is that much heavier than metal? If they are the same size then they are the same size, if you have a wood bat that is 33in 30oz and you have a metal bat with the same measurements, then would they not be the exact same size bat? I mean please someone tell me if i'm wrong on this please because im confused.

Now I will say this, the one thing that wood will give you that metal can't is a smaller sweet spot. When you use a wooden bat the sweet spot is smaller and it forces you to learn to hit the ball more solid with the barrell and once you change back over to metal after using a wooden bat you should be able to hit that sweet spot on metal alot better because sweet spots on metal bats are a lot bigger than wood.

Other than that I dont see how wood can doing anything with your form or bat speed that metal can't do as well
I think college and high school both should go to wooden bats because it's safer for the players.
i think wooden bats only
Stay with the Metal Bats.
I think wooden bats would be a great thing to have, but eventually the teams would run into some money problems buying these bats, because you know they would break often.
If college goes to wooden bats, then HS, but not until then. That should make it prety much a moot point to continue about HS, becasue college's will never swtich due to the thousands of dollars they receive for endorsing the Bat companies bats. It will not happen in anyone on here's lifetime! Fact.
Stardust Wrote:If college goes to wooden bats, then HS, but not until then. That should make it prety much a moot point to continue about HS, becasue college's will never swtich due to the thousands of dollars they receive for endorsing the Bat companies bats. It will not happen in anyone on here's lifetime! Fact.

Very very true. Endorsements make college baseball teams loads of money and I'm sure the NCAA would hate to be losing that money.