Poll: ???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
63.64%
No
36.36%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should HS baseball go to Wooden Bats only?
Nice thought, but not economical.
Not a good idea.
Hickory or Ash will spinter very rareley.If these two woods were used the broken bat numbers would go down significally.
IRISH4 Wrote:Nice thought, but not economical.

how is it not economical?
catsfan08 Wrote:how is it not economical?

He is saying that to supply high school kids with enough bats to get through a year would take up too much money and it wouldn't be worth it for schools to change over. Regardless of the level wood bats get broke and broke often..
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:He is saying that to supply high school kids with enough bats to get through a year would take up too much money and it wouldn't be worth it for schools to change over. Regardless of the level wood bats get broke and broke often..

Thank you, JRS. I figured that everyone would know that by starting each year by Feb. 15 and finishing somewhere around the neighborhood of June 10, that the number of bats that each school will have to purchase could possibly be astronomical. The price of a good wood bat can vary anywhere from like $65 - $110 and, since it is wood, the bats will break and need to be replaced. Also, each person has a different feel with wood. Someone might want a narrower handle and need to sand it down or something....then that means players can't share bats and the number will continue to rise. Like I said, it's a nice thought but just not very economical. Wink
kybaseball Wrote:Hickory or Ash will spinter very rareley.If these two woods were used the broken bat numbers would go down significally.
Are you sure that you are not meaning to say Maple instead of Ash? Northern White Ash has always been the staple wood for bats. Maple and Hickory are both denser woods than Ash and have been an alternatives for bats here lately. Both are much heavier than Ash however, and much more expensive. A 32 inch bat made from white ash will weigh about 31 ounces depending on the handle diameter, while an identical Maple bat will weigh in at about 38 ounces. Big difference.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:He is saying that to supply high school kids with enough bats to get through a year would take up too much money and it wouldn't be worth it for schools to change over. Regardless of the level wood bats get broke and broke often..
It's not been too many years ago that you could buy a northern white ash Louisville Slugger for around $19. Now that same low end Louisville slugger costs $50 while the maple and hickory versions will run in the $80-$100 range. They are not cheap anymore.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Are you sure that you are not meaning to say Maple instead of Ash? Northern White Ash has always been the staple wood for bats. Maple and Hickory are both denser woods than Ash and have been an alternatives for bats here lately. Both are much heavier than Ash however, and much more expensive. A 32 inch bat made from white ash will weigh about 31 ounces depending on the handle diameter, while an identical Maple bat will weigh in at about 38 ounces. Big difference.

Maple breaks a whole lot more. Have you not heard the complants from the MLB.
catsfan08 Wrote:Maple breaks a whole lot more. Have you not heard the complants from the MLB.

No and No.
If they used wooden bats then their would be some pretty boring games. Keep it medal. Let the kids get some hits they can actually be proud of.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:If they used wooden bats then their would be some pretty boring games. Keep it medal. Let the kids get some hits they can actually be proud of.
That's were most dont appreciate the mental approch that baseball offers.

Actually if high schoolers learned to use wooden bats properly, they would all be better hitters. Not nearly as much of a sweet spot as metal. Metal bats promote mediocricy when it comes right down to it.
Steve Hunt can hit with any bat so it really doesnt matter to me.
Hunt13 Wrote:Steve Hunt can hit with any bat so it really doesnt matter to me.

:lmao:
catsfan08 Wrote::lmao:

I am gonna go ahead and go out on a limb, but I think he may have either been referring to himself in the third person or he is a family member of his.Smile
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Are you sure that you are not meaning to say Maple instead of Ash? Northern White Ash has always been the staple wood for bats. Maple and Hickory are both denser woods than Ash and have been an alternatives for bats here lately. Both are much heavier than Ash however, and much more expensive. A 32 inch bat made from white ash will weigh about 31 ounces depending on the handle diameter, while an identical Maple bat will weigh in at about 38 ounces. Big difference.

Not to dis agree even though maple is a more denser wood it is more brittle than ash. Ash naturaly has a lower moister content than maple.which makes it a little harder to process. When taking it from log form maple is much more easier to process.Maple bats cost more because the wood brings a lot more per M than ash or hickory. Hickory bats are more expensive one because it is a bear to process and finding a piece of wood not loaded with bird peck and pin knots is hard to come by.
IRISH4 Wrote:I am gonna go ahead and go out on a limb, but I think he may have either been referring to himself in the third person or he is a family member of his.Smile

to be that cocky id say so 2
IRISH4 Wrote:I am gonna go ahead and go out on a limb, but I think he may have either been referring to himself in the third person or he is a family member of his.Smile

no this is me guys..didnt you see me last year in the state championship..???
Hunt13 Wrote:no this is me guys..didnt you see me last year in the state championship..???

STEVEN.... YOU DIDNT EVEN GET TO WARM UP WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wtf1:
kybaseball Wrote:Not to dis agree even though maple is a more denser wood it is more brittle than ash. Ash naturaly has a lower moister content than maple.which makes it a little harder to process. When taking it from log form maple is much more easier to process.Maple bats cost more because the wood brings a lot more per M than ash or hickory. Hickory bats are more expensive one because it is a bear to process and finding a piece of wood not loaded with bird peck and pin knots is hard to come by.
Good information.

Are you a cabinet nmaker??
I'm going to dominate with a metal bat this season. I woulda warmed up last year at state but coach didn't want Me to get hurt.
Hunt13 Wrote:I'm going to dominate with a metal bat this season. I woulda warmed up last year at state but coach didn't want Me to get hurt.

who gets hurt warming up? I just think ur a cocky .mofo
Nope, actually never even heard of your name. It's a sad day to brag about yourself honestly...that's not a good way to direct attention towards yourself...besides, who honestly gets hurt in warm ups? I'd say it has happend before, but to have a coach come out and tel you that makes it seem like it's one of those "hey kid, we need you so stay ready" and you sit on the bench till your tail gets splinters from riding the pine.
what school did hunt play on? prp or lc?
You've already been kicked off the team Hunt
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You've already been kicked off the team Hunt

haha i guess it wont matter what kinda bat he uses
besides the point...i believe that high school should not switch over but again stay with having wood bat tournaments. and yeah i believe that colleges should switch over so the scouts can really get a picture of what their going to be like in the major leagues...
theshow2012 Wrote:besides the point...i believe that high school should not switch over but again stay with having wood bat tournaments. and yeah i believe that colleges should switch over so the scouts can really get a picture of what their going to be like in the major leagues...

i'd say its almost imposible to see what players are going to be like in the mlb. There is different type of pitchers, and different kinds of managers, just depends on how good u r on handling issues
Just to clarify things, I go to school with Steve Hunt and he did not get kicked off of the baseball team. He may seem a little cocky but he does have some skill and will contribute a lot to our team this spring.

And candyman, Steve plays for LC.
No not until college does. Then I think they should to help the HS players who are going to the next level adapt to how the ball comes off the bat. Is it optional now to use wooden or metal?