Poll: ???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
63.64%
No
36.36%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should HS baseball go to Wooden Bats only?
LCthug Wrote:Just to clarify things, I go to school with Steve Hunt and he did not get kicked off of the baseball team. He may seem a little cocky but he does have some skill and will contribute a lot to our team this spring.

And candyman, Steve plays for LC.

You may go to school with him, but you don't play baseball with him because he is no longer on the team. Check with your coach and find out for yourself.
No because college does not use them but if college did then I could understand why.
LCthug Wrote:Just to clarify things, I go to school with Steve Hunt and he did not get kicked off of the baseball team. He may seem a little cocky but he does have some skill and will contribute a lot to our team this spring.

And candyman, Steve plays for LC.

After reading some of his post, I'm glad he's on your team Big Grin
we shouldnt get the wooden bats
Hey, Hunt. Do you have any relatives named Mike Hunt? Big GrinBig Grin

I couldn't resist.
Me personally think all of baseball should go to wooden bats, Highschool, College, and MLB.
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
most high scool kids now days can't hit the ball with a bat period....and very few hit with power...
how long have high schools used metal bats?
catsfan08 Wrote:how long have high schools used metal bats?

well i decided to look this up and i went to google and typed in my question... and this site was one of the first listed...

http://news.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/14...etal-bats/
I was watching a 15 year old wooden bat tournament last year and at first I did not see much of a differance in the hitting, if the kid's hit the ball off the sweet part of the bat, they hit it good, you know, a base hit, but then a kid hit a ball about 350ft, and I turn to my friend and said" THAT BALL WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT WITH A METAL BAT, WOW."
allsports00 Wrote:I was watching a 15 year old wooden bat tournament last year and at first I did not see much of a differance in the hitting, if the kid's hit the ball off the sweet part of the bat, they hit it good, you know, a base hit, but then a kid hit a ball about 350ft, and I turn to my friend and said" THAT BALL WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT WITH A METAL BAT, WOW."

Well said. I tend to think that a base hit is a base hit, but a ball to the gap is much more difficult to hit than with a double wall, $400 hit weapon Wink
When college goes to wooden bats maybe highschool will consider it but I doubt it will happen.
I believe if high school would go to wooden bats, then the really strong, hard hitting talent would really come out. Those who can pound a double, triple, or home run for that matter, would be your talented players at the plate
I think college should go to wooden bats because if you are playing for a college then you must know how to hit a little. So you are still going to be able to hit triples and doubles just like with a metal bat. But in high school you have to many players that dont know how to hit and that could cause a lot of broken bats that would have to be replaced and it just wouldnt be feasible for any high school to replace that many bats on a consistant basis.
baseballfan24 Wrote:I think college should go to wooden bats because if you are playing for a college then you must know how to hit a little. So you are still going to be able to hit triples and doubles just like with a metal bat. But in high school you have to many players that dont know how to hit and that could cause a lot of broken bats that would have to be replaced and it just wouldnt be feasible for any high school to replace that many bats on a consistant basis.

Not just high school, but i think it depends on what level of college your talking about. Most small college's dont have the budget to maintain enough wooden bats. It is beneficial to use wood during practice, but for small college's it just makes more sense to use metal, but for all your major D1 programs i wouldn't mind seeing them go to wood because most of them have a shot at playing at the next level anyhow
baseballfan24 Wrote:I think college should go to wooden bats because if you are playing for a college then you must know how to hit a little. So you are still going to be able to hit triples and doubles just like with a metal bat. But in high school you have to many players that dont know how to hit and that could cause a lot of broken bats that would have to be replaced and it just wouldnt be feasible for any high school to replace that many bats on a consistant basis.

Well I hope you know how to hit a little high school or else you shouldn't be on the team
OffTheHook Wrote:No, but I do think college should.

Agreed!
How many wooden bats would someone estamate be broken during a HS season,and how many injuries are there due to metal bats? Wouldn't the cost be worth the offset of injuries if the injuries are sugnificant enough? I'm not involved in any youth or HS baseball, but from everything I've heard and read injuries are the only reason not to use metal.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Not just high school, but i think it depends on what level of college your talking about. Most small college's dont have the budget to maintain enough wooden bats. It is beneficial to use wood during practice, but for small college's it just makes more sense to use metal, but for all your major D1 programs i wouldn't mind seeing them go to wood because most of them have a shot at playing at the next level anyhow

i agree hitting with wood bats makes a player hit the ball off the sweet spot. this makes somebody a much better hitter if you practice with a wood bat over time
No wooden Bats
I have played in a couple wooden bat classics they were fun but i think hs should should keep things the way they are not enough talent to use wooden bats all the time
i dont think that high school should because you rarely see a high school player that can really mash every time up to the plate, but i do think that college should go to them
no way! high school needs to stay with metal bats and let college baseball switch to wooden bats.

high school athletes these days are still too small to be able to swing those heavy wooden bats.
No!!! High School hitters aren't good enough to swing a wood bat. Trust me, there is a difference in the two. There may be one hitter on a every few teams that is capable of using the wood the way it should be. It would be a hazard because there would be so many broken bats by kids getting jammed. The difference is when you get jammed with aluminum you still have a chance to possibly get a hit but when you get jammed with a wood bat you just got a $120 piece of firewood.
how did ruth, gehrig, foxx, dimaggio, williams, musial, mantle, mays, mccovey, and all the great hitters of the past ever become great hitters without metal bats!
bleedinblue3 Wrote:no way! high school needs to stay with metal bats and let college baseball switch to wooden bats.

high school athletes these days are still too small to be able to swing those heavy wooden bats.

Im really not trying to be a smart alec but I am pretty sure that whether its wood or metal the weight of the bat is the same if you want it to be. A wooden bat that is 33 in 30 oz, weighs the same as a metal bat that is 33 in 30 oz. You know kinda like that the which weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?........their both a ton right?lol Im just kidding around with you
I think you could compare the aspect of the 3 point line in basketball.
You'll never see High School change to wooden bats as long as College Baseball continues to use them. I also think that manufacturers would oppose the change more than anyone else. Although the quantity of wood bats would be more because of breaking them more often & WOOD BATS having a shorter life-span, the Bat manufacturers would suffer because wood bats are cheaper than metal bats. Bottom line- if college baseball continues to use metal, so will high school. IMO
I say the should go to them in High School and Collage. So, that they can be ready for when they get to the Majors if they make it.
I wouldnt take it as far as highschool but college maybe.
Brief history lesson. Well from 1983- 1986 wasnt allowed to use anything but wood bats in the 57th district. And also wasnt allowed to wear metal cleets.