Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Near death experiences while fishing
OMG!!! That is crazy. We was in SD Bay one morning and fishing for spotties on a rock pile next to where all the sailboaters moore for the night. All of a sudden emerging from the birth of one of those sail boats was this hideous sea hag. She was shrieking with this horrible smokers voice. She said we was making to much noise. She was so foul to gaze upon that i felt i had to act soon or me and my bros would be turned to stone. Quickly i pulled a 180 and and bombed the throttle waking her small vessel and causing her to spill her coffee all over her deck. We almost didn't make it out alive...
Back in the late spring a friend and I went on a float trip down the Poorfork. If you've never seen the Poorfork,it is a small river,not more than 1 to 2ft deep in most spots but with some deep holes here and there. We were fishing for smallies and redeye. We floated from Totz to Puntney in a 12 ft flatbottom. The river was clear but up about 1 and a half feet above normal. We caught a whole stringer full of fish and were about a mile from our designated landing spot when we came apon the Putney bridge. I could see the bridge coming and could tell that the water was pretty rough going by the bridge pileons. There was also a very large clump of brush piled up at the pileon,about the size of a small house where we would have to pass through. My friend was manning the paddle and I had just caught a nice smallie when we hit. My friend had gotten us sideways going through the rapids. When we hit the brushpile the rushing water caught the edge of the boat and sucked us both out and we went tumbling on the bottom of the river underneath the brushpile. I could feel the limbs poking and scratching at me as I tumbled through. I can remember seeing daylight and dark,daylight and dark as I tumbled. Finally,I struggled to the top about 40ft on the other side of the bridge. When I came up I couldn't find my friend and I started to freak out and then he came up about 15 or 20ft down from me. He said he was alright and said "didn't you just catch a fish" and I lifted about a 3lb smallie up out of the water. I hadn't let go of it. We both wanted to laugh but we were just lucky to be alive. Later we had a good laugh. The rushing water had pinned the boat to the brushpile and we liked to have never got it off. Somehow we were able to struggle with it until it came off the pile. We were able to recover nearly all our equipment except a pole or two and a tackle box. We did recover that stringer of fish and I added the 3 pounder to it. We had to walk about a mile to where the truck was. When I got home that evening I went into my bedroom and got down on my knees and thanked God for sparing my life. All it would have took is for one of those limbs to grab my shirt as I went under that brushpile and I would have drowned. The Lord is good and He watched over me and my friend that day. It just goes to show you how things can go wrong in the blink of an eye when you are on the river.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I was bass fishing on Paintsville lake and one of my buddies was throwing a crankbait and gets it stuck in a tree. Well like always he just starts jerking and pulling to try and get it out of the tree and all of a sudden I hear it snap and come loose. I reel mine in and turn around and he is white as a ghost and then faints and falls over and if I wouldnt have been there to catch him he would have fallen into the water. I get him and he wakes back up and sunk both ends of the crack bait hooks past the barb in his arm. Scarred me to death needles to say!
TRUE STORY: Billy Hicks,formerly of Harlan and now the Scott Co. basketball coach, has a son or nephew that lived in Harlan also. One day he was fishing off of a local bridge somewhere around town and was using worms for bait. He either was hung up on something or had a fish and was hoisting it up from the river and looking over the edge when all of a sudden the hook,with bait intact,breaks free and travels at a great rate of speed straight up and into his mouth and partly down his throat and the hook with worm stuck in his throat. Needless to say he was taken to the hospital to have it removed. The kids name was Jim Bob Hicks. TRUE STORY.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A few years back,me and my friend were at Yatesville lake in my county. It got so foggy that we couldn't even see the lights of the dock. It is funny how you think you know a place but then you get dark and fog and it is like being on the moon. To make a long story short we came just inches from crashing on the bank.
Was smallie fishing in a pool above a medium falls. Hooked into a nice two pounder for this body of water and made the mistake of getting too far into the channel.

As a result, got sucked over the falls and taken into a very deep pool. Got tossed for over half a minute when by the grace of God remembered to not fight the current and relax...

Came to the surface shortly after. Found my gear with fish still on shortly downstream...and discovered a new found respect for life and Gods plan. That happened nineteen years ago early summer.

Moral of the story: when wading in rivers or on the beach when you get taken under...attempt to stay as calm " as possible " and stay loose like a wet noodle. It may save your life!

Happy fishing & hunting!!!
i have never used elephant meat to fish with