•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pikeville Coach?
allseasonfan Wrote:By outsider, do you mean out of State or out of Pikeville?

cheeseforme Wrote:Is this person going to take the job, spring practice is looming right around the corner and I would assume they would want to fill this job asap. It is getting kinda late. To build a staff and get everything going in the right direction they need to get started ASAP. Spring practice more than likely begins in a month for most schools and that is so important for a new coach to at least get his coaching philosophy across to the kids, not to mention weightroom and assistant coaches. Also you had mentioned some conditions needing to be met by the Pikeville administration in a previous post, any word if that is going to come to fruition.

Well i would almost bet anything they will have something in place by spring practice. When I said he wasn't an outsider it meant that he was from the area. I guess really the conditions are the only issue, but regardless after speaking with him today he thinks he is going to take it regardless, and i think everyone will be pleased with the hire, and i really hope they give him what he wants, because its not much and he needs it to succeed. I guess this will really test to see how much they actually do care about putting the program back together.
Jackrabbit, I just heard it is going to be ben howard and mac was going to help any truth to this?
I've spoke to several people over the past few weeks that Ben is going to be the coach and that there is going to a position available for his certification area...I look for them to announce something soon.
I'd almost bet my house it'll be Ben Howard.
I would say it would be a safe bet and a good hire. He runs a pretty potent offense at Letcher. Let's say he does get it, does he have the horsepower to run the passing offense??
Kyboy13 Wrote:I'd almost bet my house it'll be Ben Howard.
robbie Wrote:I would say it would be a safe bet and a good hire. He runs a pretty potent offense at Letcher. Let's say he does get it, does he have the horsepower to run the passing offense??
It takes a talented and smart player to run the QB spot in that potent offense plus better blocking than Pikeville has had in the past couple of years.

Can Pikeville's o-Line be ready to protect and can Pikeville's QB learn a new system THIS off season?
FOX SPORTS Wrote:It takes a talented and smart player to run the QB spot in that potent offense plus better blocking than Pikeville has had in the past couple of years.

Can Pikeville's o-Line be ready to protect and can Pikeville's QB learn a new system THIS off season?

I would say that the powers that be understand the situation and do not expect him to change things overnight. If they do not understand the situation i don't think he would take the job. This is going to be atleast a 3 to 4 year project.
I hope Ben Howard takes the job, but in the end I will be suprised if he decides to take it. I'd say that alot has been promised to him, and they may follow through on some of those promises but not all of them. It will be a completely different situation than what he has been around and I'm not sure this is the best move for him as a coach. He should get plenty of support from the parents, but the player pool will continue to drop off, making things that much harder. I think the opportunity to coach his alma mater is what he is stuck on at the time. I wish him the best if he does decide to take the position.
^^If he comes he will get the players out in a big way.
I feel pretty confident that Ben will be staying at LCC, I don't know if that is fact or not, but some pretty good sources have insinuated that he would be staying. Don't know when he will have to be make that decision for sure though.
Well i have talked to some of the players and they seem to say that bout 20-30 more kids are coming this year that have quit in the past and are good athletes.......
The LCC players tell me Ben adressed the team in their wieghtlifting class and said he was staying put.......
Kyboy13 Wrote:The LCC players tell me Ben adressed the team in their wieghtlifting class and said he was staying put.......
......till Pikeville offers the job then hes gone.
Not so sure my friend!
Nothing against Pikeville and their great tradition, but Ben is a part of building a tradition at LCC and has all the parts in place to make it his own. Once emotion is thrown out, it is a simple choice.
What IF, Hillard is hired at Pikeville College and wants Ben to be his OC?
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Not so sure my friend!
Hide and Watch
Phil McCavity Wrote:What IF, Hillard is hired at Pikeville College and wants Ben to be his OC?
I dont see that happening IMO. Hillard has been offered college coaching jobs in the past at higher levels and has always turned them down.
Phil McCavity Wrote:What IF, Hillard is hired at Pikeville College and wants Ben to be his OC?
Hillard and Ben are both too smart to take that job...what a mess there.
Spring practice is coming soon. I wonder how close an announcement is? The need is now so the team can pull together and learn a new system, etc.
betsylaynealum Wrote:Jackrabbit, I just heard it is going to be ben howard and mac was going to help any truth to this?

I dont know people...as a mountain football fan that hire just doesn't fire me up. Maybe I am missing something here but other than being from Pikeville how does this stimulate player interest, turnout and program improvement?

Hope it works out but not very exciting. Sorry
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Hillard and Ben are both too smart to take that job...what a mess there.

I say Mac is the next Pikeville coach. Why? Because he is the better fit for the current Pikeville administration. Reminds me of a old Johnny Cash song; I walk the Line
ZoneRead Wrote:I say Mac is the next Pikeville coach. Why? Because he is the better fit for the current Pikeville administration. Reminds me of a old Johnny Cash song; I walk the Line
I was talking about the PC job
betsylaynealum Wrote:Jackrabbit, I just heard it is going to be ben howard and mac was going to help any truth to this?

Could very well be?Big Grin I hope that is the case, Ben is one of the smartest people in this area when it comes to offense and overall strategy of the game. Whenever you add Mac in there as well, I think it puts together a very nice combination that shold compliment each other well.

Surely to God those boys wouldn't do that! I can't imagine picking up that job?? If Ben gets the job offer from Pikeville High School he'd better take it! He sure as heck isn't going to get any better offers as far as salary and support from the community go. Plus, If I were him, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I was even considered and that's the truth.
jakethesnake Wrote:Surely to God those boys wouldn't do that! I can't imagine picking up that job?? If Ben gets the job offer from Pikeville High School he'd better take it! He sure as heck isn't going to get any better offers as far as salary and support from the community go. Plus, If I were him, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I was even considered and that's the truth.

I would hope that community support would not be the same that Copley received. The Pikeville job is not that attractive. Ben Howard's stars are in line without Pikeville in the picture.
ZoneRead Wrote:I would hope that community support would not be the same that Copley received. The Pikeville job is not that attractive. Ben Howard's stars are in line without Pikeville in the picture.
Ben Howard is who the community wants so its already better than it ever was for Copley. For the record: The administration were the ones who did Copley in.
Enter The Dragon Wrote:Ben Howard is who the community wants so its already better than it ever was for Copley. For the record: The administration were the ones who did Copley in.

Absolutely ETD, and that's exactly what I was referring to, the fact that BH will have community support (from the football crazies anyway), and that will work much to his advantage. Copley NEVER had that.

As for the Pikeville Job not bein that attractive, I beg to differ when you look at the whole pic. Unless your coaching at Saint X or Trinity or any other private school with financial backing, you won't find a better coaching job and that's a fact. With money comes support comes interest comes talent comes wins. He can consider himself blessed!
jakethesnake Wrote:Absolutely ETD, and that's exactly what I was referring to, the fact that BH will have community support (from the football crazies anyway), and that will work much to his advantage. Copley NEVER had that.

As for the Pikeville Job not bein that attractive, I beg to differ when you look at the whole pic. Unless your coaching at Saint X or Trinity or any other private school with financial backing, you won't find a better coaching job and that's a fact. With money comes support comes interest comes talent comes wins. He can consider himself blessed!

Ben, if he takes the job will be working for the same administration that done Copley in. The community will not be paying the salary of the coach. If the coach don't do what he is told then the same will happen to Ben. Why then is Pikeville football program not winning if money brings support, talent and wins?
The Pikeville principal already made the comment that wins are not important to him. What kind of support from the administration do you think Ben would have with this kind of attitude? The coach who ever coaches Pikeville in the future better have the administration behind him to get the program back to the elite or I say it will not happen. Community support is good but the coaches success depends on the administration that he is working for.
ZoneRead Wrote:Ben, if he takes the job will be working for the same administration that done Copley in. The community will not be paying the salary of the coach. If the coach don't do what he is told then the same will happen to Ben. Why then is Pikeville football program not winning if money brings support, talent and wins?
The Pikeville principal already made the comment that wins are not important to him. What kind of support from the administration do you think Ben would have with this kind of attitude? The coach who ever coaches Pikeville in the future better have the administration behind him to get the program back to the elite or I say it will not happen. Community support is good but the coaches success depends on the administration that he is working for.

Listen Zone Read, apparently your taking this forum a little to seriously. Now, I want to get across to everybody on here that I'm sure not saying money = wins. What I am saying, is that money can make a lot of other things happen that can = wins. I don't care what Mayo says about wins, maybe he says that because he's never expereinced winning since he's probably the worse thing that ever happened to Pikeville High School sports (worst coach for sure); if this team ever starts winning again, he along with the rest of the "administration" will change their minds. The "administration" along with the football crazies in the community are the ones that are going to get this boy hired. These community meetings that are happening........what do you think is going on there Zone Read??? The administration is going to listen, and if the wins come tehre will never be statements like the one tha tyou said Mayo mentioned. And as far as the community paying the salary, maybe not on paper, but they can make a huge differenc ein teh decisions that go down around here I'll tell you that!
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next