Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 52 Pike Co. Central 30
Final...Lady Devils play well...This one was really never in doubt...Hope this is the beginning of a turnaround for the Lady Devils...Played with energy today...Keep it up girls...
Final!
Did Russell's D look that good or Pike Central's offense look that bad?
hard too imagine a bad PC offense
Congratulations to the Lady Devils. It looks like they may have come out of it and played up to their potential.
Russell's length seemed to really bother PCC...Started 3 six footers...Simpson probably blocked 7 shots plus Parsley blocked a couple as well...Russell also seemed to bother their guards some because they had some steals as well...Russell has more talent than their record indicates but I wasn't impressed with PCC at all...Nowhere near the team they have been recently...Shocked they were able to upset Ashland even if Ashland shot poorly from the 3 point line...PCC seems very susceptible to pressure this year and Russell is not a great pressing team...
PCC isn't the team that I was expecting this season but I wouldn't say that this one was never in doubt. Hopefully this is the turnaround that Russell needed after what, a six game?, losing streak. Congratulations to them.

devil58 Wrote:Russell's length seemed to really bother PCC...Started 3 six footers...Simpson probably blocked 7 shots plus Parsley blocked a couple as well...Russell also seemed to bother their guards some because they had some steals as well...

This could have rattled PCC from the start. They aren't used to play against that kind of size and catching them completely off guard with everything else could have got in their minds from the get go.

thetribe Wrote:PCC isn't the team that I was expecting this season but I wouldn't say that this one was never in doubt. Hopefully this is the turnaround that Russell needed after what, a six game?, losing streak. Congratulations to them.

Certainly there were doubts really early but Russell had a double digit lead most of the second quarter and held a 28-14 lead at the half...They extended it to 40-16 after 3 qtrs...My point was that by halftime you really got the sense that Russell was going to win and while 14 points is certainly not a lead that cannot be overcome, by a few mins into the 3rd qtr I got the feeling that PCC felt like they could not come back...They fought hard but really couldn't gain any ground...I believe the lead was 28 with around 3 mins to go when Russell began clearing the bench...PCC continued to press and this resulted in the final margin...

It's no secret that Russell hasn't played to their potential so far this season having won only one game prior to today...The Red Devil faithful are hopeful that this is the beginning of a needed turnaround...Certainly you could see what the team is capable of in this game...They just need to continue to work hard and good things will happen...
Apparently the P C coach agreed the game was over as he cleared his bench at half -time. The starters did not play during the third and some did not return to the game at all. P C played poorly on offense due mostly to trying to play a half court game with a much taller team. Against teams like Russell, P C needs to extend the defense to the full court and try to get more baskets in transition. In the half court P C is not moving the ball like they need to get open looks and are still not shooting the ball well. It would have been nice to see an attempt at a comeback in this game but perhaps there may have been some other lessons the coach was trying to convey. It is time for P C to start showing some consistency and get ready for March.
Congrats Russell
Pike Co. Central 8 6 2 14 30

Russell 15 13 12 12 52

Ashland Kitten Shootout
Pike Co. Central (5-5) -- Harris 3, Thompson 5, Slone 11, Pennington 1, Blackburn 3, Mullins 5, Williams 2.
Russell (2-8) -- Cassity 12, Lavender 2, Parsley 4, Simpson 23, Baldridge 10, Harrison 1.