Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best players ever from Eastern KY
Zach Lewis should be mentioned because he broke Tim Couchs records.
Couch
Mike Gothard Ashland played a Vandy-Rob Channey Boyd County-played for UK John Groves Russell-played for Bama and UK. The running back from Fairview that played for Arazona or Arazona St. Most recently the lineman from Boyd County that played for WVU and was drafted by the 49ers.
Giving a nod to some big guys on the line.

TJ Maynard - Russell - Played OL at Kentucky
Bob Craycraft - Boyd County - Played OL at Vandy
Joe Avila - Ashland - Signed with Colorado (I'm not sure that he ever played there though)
Nate McPeek - Russell - Played at Marshall (4 year starter)
Phil Ratliff - Lawrence County - Played OL at Marshall

Tim Couch would get my vote for the best player of all time out of the Eastern half of the state.

The best player I ever played against from Eastern Kentucky in high school was Joey Couch. Played DL at UK but was a beast at LB and TE for Paintsville in high school.
Tim Couch is probably the best ever.

I've seen Ortega mentioned, but no one has mentioned Jeremy Caudill of Prestonsburg who started his final two seasons at UK.
Some of the best RBs from Eastern Kentucky

Josh Gross - Russell - Played at Georgetown
Arliss Beach - Ashland - Played at UK
John Groves - Russell - Played at Alabama and UK
David Jones - Belfry - Played at UK
Mike West - Lawrence County - Signed with Marshall
Juan Thomas - Ashland - (Signed to play professional baseball but may have been the best athlete to ever come out of this half of the state.)
Kasey Clark - Russell - Played at Murray State
Rick Kesner was a DE that played for Belfry in the early to mid 60's that went on to play for UK. They ended up retiring his number their, Then he went on to play for the Baltimore colts and Miami dolphins!!
I'm going to throw in a reciever and a kicker.

WR:

Jerrod Parker - Lawrence County - Played at UK

Kicker:

Aaron Pettry - Raceland- Currently kicking for Ohio State (great QB as well)
bac2369 Wrote:Zach Lewis should be mentioned because he broke Tim Couchs records.

He probably should be mentioned but he isn't in the same leauge. Sorry Zack.
JackRabbitSlimJR Wrote:jones isnt from belfry ;]

The David Jones that I saw play wore red and had belfry on his chest. Maybe there are two David Jones. ????
Houston Hogg- Hazard

1 of the first 2 Black players to play a season and finish the season in the SEC!

Played at UK!
Gene Cyrus (Paintsville '55) Texas A&M
IRISH4 Wrote:Tim Couch (Leslie Co. - UK, Cleveland Browns, Jaguars, Packers)
Joey Couch (Paintsville - UK)
Tony Mayes (Paintsville - UK, Buccaneers, Cardinals)
Mike West (Lawrence Co. - Marshall, Campbellsville)
Gerad Parker (Lawrence Co. - UK)
Durrell White (Middlesboro - UK)
John Ortega (Prestonsburg - Centre College, I believe he was an All-American in 3 sports there)
Brad Tiller (Sheldon Clark)

*just a few off the top of my head

You are correct
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Tim Couch is probably the best ever.

I've seen Ortega mentioned, but no one has mentioned Jeremy Caudill of Prestonsburg who started his final two seasons at UK.

Caudill was a 4 year starter!!
Cumberland High School in Harlan County has produced some good atheletes:

George Massey played DL at UK

Charles Tinsley played for the Philadelphia Phillies minor leagues for a while then played football at EKU.

Freddie Maggard-QB at UK
Ron Cain (Sr.) played his high school football at Cumberland High School from 1951-1955. He was All State two years in a row and led the state in scoring two years in a row. He played at the University of Kentucky from 1955-1960. He was All SEC two years and also All Academic for two years, his Sr. year and the year he worked on his Master Degree he was a 4.0 student. He signed a bonus with the Denver Broncos and played with them for awhile. He later coached at the University of Kentucky for four years under Coach John Ray.

Ron Cain was inducted in to the Kentucky Hall of Fame about four years ago.
Free BAlla 14 Wrote:Caudill was a 4 year starter!!

I wanted to because he was so nice to my son and his friends whenever we would go down and stay @ the Hilton Suites on a Friday night! Couldn't remember his last name...:o , but remembered a nice young man from P-burg. His Dad was a judge right? It is always more fun to go to Cats game when a kid from Eastern Kentucky, is playing!!!Wink
bac2369 Wrote:Zach Lewis should be mentioned because he broke Tim Couchs records.

By some people's standards that would make Lewis, and Ricky Bowling from South Laurel, better than Couch.

Couch was the best QB I've ever seen from the mountains, and probably one of the best all around football players. My top choices would be these guys.

Tim Couch - Leslie Co.
John Ortega - Prestonsburg
Doug Howard - Belfry
David Jones - Belfry
Justin Haddix - Breathitt
Donte Wright - Lawrence Co.
Mike West - Lawrence Co.
Durrell White - Middlesboro
Jon Chapman - Breathitt/Pikeville
Lee Renfro - Pulaski SW
Cole Draughn - Pulaski Co.
How can you put Justin Haddix in there?
Sorry i thought that said Jade..lol
Jeremy Caudill may have started at UK, but he didn't really do much while he was in highschool. He was a paper athlete, as in he has the size, the speed, and the strength . But he never really dominated ball games like he SHOULD have when he was in high school. IMO one of his teammates Nathan Leslie, who went to Marshall, was a much better player then he was.
IRISH4 Wrote:T
John Ortega (Prestonsburg - Centre College, I believe he was an All-American in 3 sports ther

Actually I think he was All-Conference in all three, but an All-American in football.
John Wayne Taylor: Knott County Central, played in the 70's was the best running back to come out of Knott county in in many peoples opinions didn't get to play college ball. Last I heard he was making custom signs down on 80.
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Couch and George Massy during my tenure. I remember Massy coming into F-N and we had a huge running game. He stopped us up pretty good and sacked our QB who was like 6'2" 240 like a rag doll.
Jeepman Wrote:The David Jones that I saw play wore red and had belfry on his chest. Maybe there are two David Jones. ????

Played at Belfry-yes From Belfry-no. No sour grapes though great HS player good college player helped UK win.
grayson smith- magoffin co.- played at uk
mike caba- magoffin co.- played at georgetown college
gish Wrote:Jeremy Caudill may have started at UK, but he didn't really do much while he was in highschool. He was a paper athlete, as in he has the size, the speed, and the strength . But he never really dominated ball games like he SHOULD have when he was in high school. IMO one of his teammates Nathan Leslie, who went to Marshall, was a much better player then he was.

a true weightroom freak.. but i agree
IISnakE Wrote:I wanted to because he was so nice to my son and his friends whenever we would go down and stay @ the Hilton Suites on a Friday night! Couldn't remember his last name...:o , but remembered a nice young man from P-burg. His Dad was a judge right? It is always more fun to go to Cats game when a kid from Eastern Kentucky, is playing!!!Wink

Yes, judge caudill
Free BAlla 14 Wrote:a true weightroom freak.. but i agree

Oh yeah no doubt. When Jeremy was a senior I watched him squat 700 lbs. with smile on his face. A beast in the weightroom..
Caudill still holds several state records for lifting, when I was a sophomore we went to the Lex. Cath. meet and his name was in the program and no one was even close to his lifts...I'm sure it's like that still today.