Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best players ever from Eastern KY
#55PirateFan Wrote:Doesn't Cole Bentley deserve to be mentioned in this conversation now? I know he only graduated from Belfry a couple years ago and is still in college, but Cole started a few games at Louisville, a Power Five school, as a Freshman and started every game last year as a Sophomore. This year he is a preseason All ACC candidate. If he doesnt get drafted in the mid to late rounds of the NFL Draft, I'll be shocked if he doesnt at least get invited to a camp. I think he's one of the best to ever come out of Belfry High School and the mountains.
He's from West Virginia. lol
pjdoug Wrote:He's from West Virginia. lol

You do have a point
Best ones I have seen
David Jones- belfry
Freddy maggard- cumberland
Cole Bentley- Belfry
Kash Daniel- paintsville
Fugate-rb from breatthit county
Reese Smith- Boyle County
Bobby deramus -pikeville
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Im not from EKY, don't really even like E KY and the lack of good level ground for the most part. Not being from there I think the best player ever would be Couch when looking at it like I am from a distance. He was a household name even in high school, had a even better college career and did ok in pros. I can not believe that no one has mentioned the great Rodger Bird who played for the Raiders in the NFL

Really good call MC. He was the first i thought of. He was the reason i became a Raiders' fan back in the late sixties, early seventies. I think Rodger was named second team All-AFL twice. Was a terrific multi-purpose talent, as he was an outstanding punt and kickoff returner in addition to being a very good defensive back. I think he returned eight interceptions for TD's in a span of three seasons. His brother Calvin and nephew Steve weren't too shabby either. Thanks for mentioning Rodger.
Warriorhawk17 Wrote:Best ones I have seen
David Jones- belfry
Freddy maggard- cumberland
Cole Bentley- Belfry
Kash Daniel- paintsville
Fugate-rb from breatthit county
Reese Smith- Boyle County
Bobby deramus -pikeville
Don’t think Boyle Co. Is part of E. Ky
Deshae Henson-Clay Co
nedreader Wrote:Deshae Henson-Clay Co

One tuff cat right there now.
All the Disney’s from Lynn Camp
1. Tim Couch- Leslie County
2. Phil Ratliff - Lawrence County
3. David Jones - Belfry
Westside Wrote:1. Tim Couch- Leslie County
2. Phil Ratliff - Lawrence County
3. David Jones - Belfry

4. Bobby Deramus Pikeville
5. Kash Daniel
Stanley Niece (Estill County) completed over 50% passing and three for 6700 yards in his 4 years at Estill.

Matt Richardson (Estill County) broke every Rec Bowl record in Estills 62-6 win over Montgomery County. Reason Montgomery refuses to play Estill during the regular season.
List starts and ends with Tim Couch no one else is close. After that Haddix comes to mind as the next best QB.
I think we all can agree on that their was/is a lot of great players from EKY. Anyone could put together over 1,000 great players from EKY. The list starts with Tim Couch though.
2011 - Cory Davenport - Bell Co.
Bo Silcox MHS great athlete
Frank Jones - Bath County

Not much of a supporting cast to help him out and he still holds, or until recently held, some state rushing records. Toughest player I ever saw in 50 years of following this crazy game in Ky. I have seen a lot of players who got more publicity but very few who earned more respect from opponents who actually played against him or were fortunate enough to have seen him play.
FootballLegend Wrote:Bo Silcox MHS great athlete

Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker: Legend in his own mind. Are you serious or is this sarcasm?
Strikeout King Wrote:I think we all can agree on that their was/is a lot of great players from EKY. Anyone could put together over 1,000 great players from EKY. The list starts with Tim Couch though.

Agreed and any other Eastern Kentucky athlete that has played in the NFL will separate the field a bit. Does anyone have a list of that nature?

Kenny Roark- Middlesboro
NextGeneration Wrote:Agreed and any other Eastern Kentucky athlete that has played in the NFL will separate the field a bit. Does anyone have a list of that nature?

Kenny Roark- Middlesboro

Kenny Roark (Middlesboro) spent some time with the Browns and Redskins.
Oliver White (Knox Central) played for the Steelers.
Randy Frazier (Whitesburg) played for the Chiefs.
Biff Madon (Pineville) signed with the Cowboys.
Roscoe Perkins (Bell County) signed with the Dolphins.
Roy Evans (Evarts) signed with the Cowboys.

I'm sure there are quite a few others.
If your talking about best ever then Don Gullett from McKell High School has to be right at the top of the list. Scored 72 pts in a single game. He had his choice of all the top programs in the country to go play but was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft and went on to play in and win multiple World Series titles.
Great Choice.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Kenny Roark (Middlesboro) spent some time with the Browns and Redskins.
Oliver White (Knox Central) played for the Steelers.
Randy Frazier (Whitesburg) played for the Chiefs.
Biff Madon (Pineville) signed with the Cowboys.
Roscoe Perkins (Bell County) signed with the Dolphins.
Roy Evans (Evarts) signed with the Cowboys.

I'm sure there are quite a few others.

Bird Boys from Corbin. Roger Bird at Oakland. Steve Bird at St Louis Cardinals.
Best LB I saw was Floyd Branham from Middlesboro. he was a beast on that 98 title team.
it would be interesting to see Tim Couch make a list of the toughest defensive players that he played against. I bet a Whitley County player would be on his list Smile
pjdoug Wrote:it would be interesting to see Tim Couch make a list of the toughest defensive players that he played against. I bet a Whitley County player would be on his list Smile

No they wouldn't
#55PirateFan Wrote:No they wouldn't

Yes they would. Ask him Smile
pjdoug Wrote:it would be interesting to see Tim Couch make a list of the toughest defensive players that he played against. I bet a Whitley County player would be on his list Smile

Did Ray Lewis play for Whitley County?
RoShamBo Wrote:Did Ray Lewis play for Whitley County?

Ray Lewis played at Kathleen High School near Lakeland Florida. We're talking about high school football on bluegrassrivals. Not NFL Legends.
pjdoug Wrote:Ray Lewis played at Kathleen High School near Lakeland Florida. We're talking about high school football on bluegrassrivals. Not NFL Legends.

My mistake. :Clap:
I’m a young buck compared to most.

But I’d have to say in no order

Daniel Harmon
Tim and Ted Honaker
#4. WR played at Pikeville with Daniel Harmon. Name is maybe Trey Baker. Not sure at all though

JJ Jude
#20 played RB before JJ. Dude was incredible. Played 100% every play

Ollinger from Hazard. Played QB. Guy was a monster
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL