Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Smallmouth rivers and creeks
Just like to hear some stories about smallmouth fish in the area
the head of wolf creek near german bridge
Cutshin.
elkhorn creek in georgetown is nationally recognized. during spring and summer, you'll see people wading for miles upon miles...... i've pulled out many 15-18" small mouths... 5-6 a day when i was into it...

some nice fishing there... great oxygen level, plenty of tumbling waters into deep spots.... and very minimal ducks to eat up the smaller population..
I love smalljaw fishing. This entire year I have fished Tug river in South Williamson, Ky. Every trip (which lasted about 5 hours) we averaged about 60 fish. The average weight was about 1.5 lbs, we caught fish up to 4lbs. Another great place that I have fished is NewRiver in Virginia. Awesome place to fish. There is a campground right on the river and you can wade all day long and slay the fish. The State record was caught while I was there and it was a hog. I have a bass boat and a jon boat and I 2 to 1 prefer the jon boat in the rivers.
Crossbones Wrote:I have a bass boat and a jon boat and I 2 to 1 prefer the jon boat in the rivers.

Who doesn't? Smile

I don't think i've ever saw a bassboat on a river. And if I have... the 'skipper' was an idiot. Big Grin
ronald_reagan Wrote:Who doesn't? Smile

I don't think i've ever saw a bassboat on a river. And if I have... the 'skipper' was an idiot. Big Grin
I should have phrased that a little better.Smile
ronald_reagan Wrote:Who doesn't? Smile

You obviously haven't fished the Ohio or the Mississippi rivers.
I agree, the new river in Virginia is awesome for smallmouth. Red eye are also good there.
Paint Creek used to be full of smallmouth when I was a kid. Paintsville Lake I thought was supposed to be designed to be great smallmouth fishery. Now you cant even find a smallmouth in Paint. Where did they go?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Paint Creek used to be full of smallmouth when I was a kid. Paintsville Lake I thought was supposed to be designed to be great smallmouth fishery. Now you cant even find a smallmouth in Paint. Where did they go?
I et 'em!!!Big Grin
Beefhide Wrote:I agree, the new river in Virginia is awesome for smallmouth. Red eye are also good there.

I would have to agree with ya man. What the biggest you've caught out of new river?
-STAT- Wrote:I would have to agree with ya man. What the biggest you've caught out of new river?
The biggest for me out of New River was around 5#, but the average was around 2#.
My personal favorites:
KENTUCKY
-Silver Creek (Madison County)
-Paint Lick Creek (Madison County)
-Elkhorn Creek (Scott Co.)

Virginia
- Clinch River
- Holston River

Tennessee
- Holston River
-Little Nolichuckee
- Powell River
EKUAlum05 Wrote:My personal favorites:
KENTUCKY
-Silver Creek (Madison County)
-Paint Lick Creek (Madison County)
-Elkhorn Creek (Scott Co.)

Virginia
- Clinch River
- Holston River

Tennessee
- Holston River
-Little Nolichuckee
- Powell River
:Thumbs: Most excellent list!!
The Cumberland River in Harlan Co. is a great place to catch big smallmouth.
I fished with two other guys last Sat. in an area of the River in Harlan called Poor Fork. We fished for about 5 or 6 hours and caught over 100 smallmouth and Red eyes using live bait.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Paint Creek used to be full of smallmouth when I was a kid. Paintsville Lake I thought was supposed to be designed to be great smallmouth fishery. Now you cant even find a smallmouth in Paint. Where did they go?

My dad says he used to slay em back in the day. He said he used to catch one just about every cast using a little rapala minnow on a light spinning rod.
Beefhide Wrote:I agree, the new river in Virginia is awesome for smallmouth. Red eye are also good there.

I agree with ya man. New River is excellent for small mouth. Haven't caught any red eye though mostly small mouth, they put up a heck of a fight.
Troubles Some creek has some good smallmouth. I caught one a few years back about 17 inches long. Pretty good for a small creek.
how about caney creek? crystal clear water!
-STAT- Wrote:I agree with ya man. New River is excellent for small mouth. Haven't caught any red eye though mostly small mouth, they put up a heck of a fight.

You've never caught a goggle eye in New River...That's surprising:eek:
took my son to the clinch last year , first cast he caught a 18 1/2 smallmouth
The Liking River has some smallmouth fish despite a lot of the pollution it has been getting within the last few years...

Used to catch me sum' shellcrackers, silversides, and sum' horney heads... Can I get an amen! lol
The poorfork river is loaded with smallmouth.
I agree totally with the previous comments on the New river. I've also had success on the Holston in Virginia and the Pigeon in Tennessee.
-STAT- Wrote:I agree with ya man. New River is excellent for small mouth. Haven't caught any red eye though mostly small mouth, they put up a heck of a fight.

I love the New River . I usually catch about as many red eye as I do small mouth. Not quite the fight of a small mouth, but still taste great in the skillitt.