Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardest Throwing Pitchers In The 14th For '09??
Brian Milam Wrote:I gotta be honest...some of you guys are wearing me out!!! Does anyone know what mid 80's looks like or sounds like? Also, there is a MAJOR difference between throwing 82-85 and throwing 82-85 for a strike!

A healthy Freeman is the only guy in the 14th who throws consistently in the mid 80's. Brandon Napier at PCC 'hit' 81 in practice the other day. He doesn't consistently throw 81 because he touched it once!

All this talk about this kid and that kid hitting mid 80's....C'MON! :lmao:

Here's your top three hard throwers in the mountains:
1. Chandler Shepherd - Lawrence Co. 86-89
2. Drew Freeman - Estill Co. (when healthy) 85-88
3. Spencer Greer - Bell Co. 84-87

In last year's 14th region tournament, Freeman was the only pitcher to top above 82 miles per hour "for a strike". In the 5th inning against PCC Freeman was 75-78. In the 6th inning, Freeman started get loose hitting 79-82. In the 7th inning he mowed PCC down blowing 84-86.

Dakota Ritchie from Breathitt County hit 81 against Hazard. Napier from PCC hit 82 but it was hitting the backstop. Goodson topped out at 79 against Estill County. Potter was 75-77 against Estill County in round one. Joey Meehan (now at LCA) hit 78-80 against Estill County early in the game. End of discussion! :HitWall: If we are to talk about the kids let's not exaggerate the numbers.

Thank you!!! Any coach who has been around HS baseball for a while can tell you what '80's looks AND sounds like. The pitchers mentioned are all good players but their numbers have been inflated. Good post.
mandan Wrote:Thank you!!! Any coach who has been around HS baseball for a while can tell you what '80's looks AND sounds like. The pitchers mentioned are all good players but their numbers have been inflated. Good post.

I disagree completely. Unless you have a gun, you can not tell for sure. Pitchers deliveries can sometimes be decieving. One pitcher you may think that looks like they are throwing 85 may only be in fact 78, or vice versa. I also assume when you say and "sounds like" you are referring to the pop of the mit. Also deceiving. Sometimes ythe catcher may catch the ball in the webbing and you may not get the same sound as you will get if it hits another part of the mit. You have to have a gun.
potter was hitting mid to upper 70s against estill with a shoulder injury he was definatly not throwing his best and has been clocked in the 80s more than once and there is no way adams from lcc throws harder than him
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I disagree completely. Unless you have a gun, you can not tell for sure. Pitchers deliveries can sometimes be decieving. One pitcher you may think that looks like they are throwing 85 may only be in fact 78, or vice versa. I also assume when you say and "sounds like" you are referring to the pop of the mit. Also deceiving. Sometimes ythe catcher may catch the ball in the webbing and you may not get the same sound as you will get if it hits another part of the mit. You have to have a gun.

There is a difference in sound if you have been around the game long enough. Somebody may have a pillow for a mitt but if the catcher has it pop the pocket of the mitt, you know it when you hear it. The leather does sound different with a 78 mph fastball to a 87 mph fastball. Same way with wood bats. You can tell the difference between the higher grades of wood, whether or not they hit the sweet spot, or if they hit the label.
Why is it that everybody thinks if a player cannt throw in the 80 or higher they are not that good. I myself like a player that can control the ball throwing in the mid to upper 70s hitting mit . Then to have a kid throwing 80s off the back stop JMO. I know that they are a FEW flame throw that can hit the mitt. And the glove does have a good sound when the ball has good speed.
Freeman and Clowers EC.
Freeman was the best last year in the 14th. Should be the best this year. I think we will have to wait and see about this seaon. Alot of thing can happen from one season to the next. Players grow and they get stronger.
kymom Wrote:Why is it that everybody thinks if a player cannt throw in the 80 or higher they are not that good. I myself like a player that can control the ball throwing in the mid to upper 70s hitting mit . Then to have a kid throwing 80s off the back stop JMO. I know that they are a FEW flame throw that can hit the mitt. And the glove does have a good sound when the ball has good speed.

I don't believe anyone saying pitchers who don't throw hard aren't good. The thread just asked about the hardest throwers in the region. I like guys who are "crafty" and make hitters look bad.
Without a doubt you have to put Freeman from Estill as the hardest thrower in the 14th......but N.Adams and M.Adams From LCC are throwing in the mid-low 80's......Potter from KCC is also in the mix
Freeman and it aint even close.
Dakota Ritchie - Breathitt
Dakota Ritchie from breathitt
Seriously???? These two couldn't touch some others in the 14th or maybe you can't be very objective?????? Every time you post you mention one particular player. Makes one wonder???
dakota ritchie for sure he threw 84 the other day at practice def...the hardest