Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Boys' 7th Grade State Basketball Tournament
Clinton and Conner both are very small compared to most of the field, both are very well coached and have alot of quickness which will cause some teams fits. Hazard had a tough loss there was a foul called on a drive with 1.3 seconds left in the game, this should have been a no call. I think Meece will be a team hard to beat after this loss. I think after the next round there will be some really good games, if you get the chance to attend you will see some really good ball players. Best of luck to all the teams tommorow.
Betsy Layne plays Tates Creek. Any thoughts in this game who dou think will win
I mean no negativity toward kids here: the KBA advertises "7th grade" tournament: what it is a glorified AAU tournament where middle school jersey's are passed around like so much Gatorade. No regulations. No checks (except the ones KBA cashes). Age level inappropriateness runs rampant. Ethics in sports sacrificed at the altar of winning.
That is not true. Name one kid playing that is not the right grade or goes to another school. I know 90% of the teams here and that is just not an accurate statement. There is not a team here that hasn't played at least one other team here during the regular season. They couldn't cheat. It's statements like yours that ruin youth sports. I know there are some huge kids here but most of them have played in this same age group for years. Some have just grown faster than others. We don't have a big kid so I am not defending our team. Johnson Central is the biggest team here and I know just about all of their kids and they are all legitimate. Crosby's kids are all legitimate. Who are you talking about?
Final 8 starts at 9 am

LTMS vs. Knox County

Johnson County Vs. Scott County

Moss Vs. Wayne County

Clinton County vs. South Laurel
AAU is right. Johnson Central is a very big team but all of their kids have played together the entire year.
Who is LTMS?

How did Eversole and SMS do during bracket play Saturday?
Betsy Layne Bobcats (aau) 7th Grade Team Went 3-1 In Tourny.
Very Proud Of Each One Of The Kids, They Played Very Hard.

We Were Beaten 49-48 By Wayne Co. They Played Very Well, And Good Luck To Them. Clutch Freethrows With .3 Seconds Left Sealed The Deal.

Bobcats 3/4 From The Line.
Wayne Co. 22/31 From The Line.

Best Of Luck To Johnson Co. Bring The Title To The Mountains.
The talk at this tournament this wkend .Was what happened to Fleming County? Watch their game Saturday,and I could not believe they were down 25 pts,at one pont.I watched their game earlier in the season at Mason County,and they looked great.Anyone have an answer to what may have happened since the Mason County game?Most had them picked to be in the top 8 or so.I don't think anyone seen this coming.
thecavemaster Wrote:I mean no negativity toward kids here: the KBA advertises "7th grade" tournament: what it is a glorified AAU tournament where middle school jersey's are passed around like so much Gatorade. No regulations. No checks (except the ones KBA cashes). Age level inappropriateness runs rampant. Ethics in sports sacrificed at the altar of winning.

Sounds like you must of got smoked by a team or two in this tourny. Even if it is an AAU team as long as they are legal sorry but it happens.
I heard that Crosby and Moss were on another level from the rest of the field this weekend.
I have heard a lot about Moss. Anyone got any specifics about them?
Big Snappy Wrote:The talk at this tournament this wkend .Was what happened to Fleming County? Watch their game Saturday,and I could not believe they were down 25 pts,at one pont.I watched their game earlier in the season at Mason County,and they looked great.Anyone have an answer to what may have happened since the Mason County game?Most had them picked to be in the top 8 or so.I don't think anyone seen this coming.

Maybe some of those Fleming players have already transferred to Clark Co.:yikes:
Crosby and Moss along with LTMS to me were the best 3 teams there. Johnson Central was better than any of the others. Knox County played great, South Laurel played well as did SMS.

Who is the kid for SMS. He can really play. I heard his name but had never heard of it before.

Shane Hall was the best player in the tournament to me and when he went out with cramps the game was basically over, in the finals.

The mountain teams played well and should be proud of how they represented. The Knott County Sportsplex is already starting to pay dividends!

Moss is Warren Central's middle school and they are very deep and athletic. They play extremely hard and don't really have a star player, just a whole lot of quality players. They are all in the 5'6" to 5'10" range and all have perimiter skills. They are a very nice team.
This was a great tournament, the talent in this grade was unblieveable, anyone wanting to watch basketball at its best should have attended both the 6th and 7th grade tournament. I can only imagine what the 8th grade will be like. Todays four moring games had alot of excitement with to games being won on last second shots. The championship game was won by a well coached team in Moss, they were very patience against JC and really took them to school. I would like to congradulate all the teams and looking forward to next year to see how much this group of players develope, it should be a great tournament in 2010.
I didn't have a dog in the fight. "Hey, if we don't redshirt, we can't compete. The only place to do it, really, is in middle school." I was told that by a guy talking about what mountain teams have to do to compete. I am not slamming any particular team, any particular kids. As someone said earlier, "it happens." How does speaking the truth ruin youth sports? I've been to KBA a lot. "It" does happen.
Everybody does it statewide except for a couple of little pockets. Some hold their kids back and some start them late but reguardless they will be 19 when they graduate. It's just the way it is and if your program is not doing it, you are probably not competitive at the high school level. It is just the way it's done most places now. It's been going on for 20 years.
aauhoops Wrote:Everybody does it statewide except for a couple of little pockets. Some hold their kids back and some start them late but reguardless they will be 19 when they graduate. It's just the way it is and if your program is not doing it, you are probably not competitive at the high school level. It is just the way it's done most places now. It's been going on for 20 years.

It is the way things are done. There are several middle school conferences who don't allow players to compete two years at one grade level. You are right, more and more, if you don't do it, you get left behind.
Holding kids back two years in the same grade to play ball is crazy, this just tells kids that ball is more important than grades. I think it is scary to leave a good student in the same grade for two years when they get the academic part the first year, that is taking a risk of the kid getting bored and start getting into other things. How do ya tell a teacher that you are holding back a (a or b) average student back ,just so they can play ball another year.
Just like that!

I know probably 100 kids that have been held back and have not heard one negative from them or a teacher in their system during or after the fact. The only people that complain are the people who don't hold their kids back. It is much easier to start them late, that is what most people in Kentucky are doing now.

I did it 25 years ago, was a straight A student, stayed a straight A student, recieved a full ride from Georgetown College to play basketball, and played one year. I then transfered to UK, graduated, and have had a very successful and happy life. I started varsity 4 years in high school and finished my senior year with a 28-2 record. I see nothing negative about that.
aauhoops Wrote:Just like that!

I know probably 100 kids that have been held back and have not heard one negative from them or a teacher in their system during or after the fact. The only people that complain are the people who don't hold their kids back. It is much easier to start them late, that is what most people in Kentucky are doing now.

I did it 25 years ago, was a straight A student, stayed a straight A student, recieved a full ride from Georgetown College to play basketball, and played one year. I then transfered to UK, graduated, and have had a very successful and happy life. I started varsity 4 years in high school and finished my senior year with a 28-2 record. I see nothing negative about that.

I meant no offense to you or anyone else. That is just my opinion on hold backs. There is a difference in starting late and holding back an extra year. The reason I don't think hold backs are fair is that it is hard for a school that doesn't hold back to compete with schools that do. Its not fair to a student that hasn't been held back to have to compete against a kid two yrs older but in the same grade. The younger kid pays the price just because they haven't been held back. We shouldn't have to hold our kids back just for sports. If a kid can't play against kids their own age why is it fair that they can stay back and just beat younger kids.
Most of our older kids play up 2-3 grades anyway. We don't do it to dominate middle school basketball. We do hope to be competitive at the high school level by doing it.

I respect your opinion, I just think kids get out of school too early anyway. I do know that it costs the school system money for a child to stay back and it affects testing for that grade. There are several good reasons why you shouldn't, however, there are several good reasons why you should. If I were a state administrator and I had a vote, I can't honestly say which way I would vote.
I know that I had a team there and I can honestly say that my entire team was only 7th graders with two starters that really should be in the 6th grade due to their age. It's hard for those teams to compete against kids that are in the 7th grade and 14 years old.
I can say we only have 7th graders on our team. We have an 8th grader that should be in 7th.