•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 55 - Elliott County 52 All "A" Semi-Finals
Amen!!!!!!!!!!
EKY Sportster Wrote::lmao: Dude, you are hillarious!! That has to be the most ridiculous comment I have ever heard. Elliott has had more rest in this tourney than SV, but that is still not the point. I don't have anything against SV or Elliott Co. I wish them both the best. But if Elliott Co. gets worn out that easily, then they have no chance at the Sweet Sixteen. Do you really think the KHSAA is going to give Elliott Co. an extra day between games to get ready? If you do make it to the semis at State, you should be a little tired. Then you have to play your final two games in the same day. Based on what you just said, then if Elliott loses at state, you are going to just say "if they had their rest, they are the best in the state". It doesn't work that way. The best team is the one that comes out and gets it done, not the ones that make excuses. I doubt that you are going to hear any excuses from the Elliott Co. team. They lost and they will re-group. They may beat Valley if they play again or they may not, but the point is they lost today. And Valley controlled the tempo almost the entire game. And both Elliott Co. and Valley are going to have to play much better competition to win a state title and with little rest in between. So get over it. We don't base games on if's or but's. Only on outcomes.
Sorry. AMEN!!!
wow see elliot isnt better than valley
even with there ref
I just got in from the game and here are my thoughts - the game was won in the first quarter. Elliott County won the last 3 quarters, but they were shell shocked in the first. They didn't appear to have any kind of gameplan in place at all to start the game and found themselves down 16-3 at one point. I'm not sure if the Elliott coach failed to watch the other Shelby Valley games or what, but he had no plan that I could see as to how to attack SV's defense. Take away that miserable start and Elliott County wins the game. On the 2nd or 3rd play, a Shelby Valley player grabbed Ferguson around the body and slammed him to the floor on one end. On the next play on the other end, Ferguson was hammered twice by the SV big men. Neither was noticed by the officiating crew and that kind of set the tone for the first quarter. The officials were absolutely terrible on both ends and against both teams. They allowed SV to play a physical game and dominate the game by not blowing the whistle. There were numerous times that SV gathered steals by just running into Elliott guards and taking the ball. The officiating in this whole tournament was sketchy at best. Ironically enough, I went to eat after the game and one of the officials walked in the door. I said "that was a pretty intense game, wasn't it?" He answered and then walked out the door and got his food to go.

Elliott had numerous opportunities to get back in the game but always came up a shot or two short. I think their undoing was not allowing Ferguson to get back in the game offensively. He was spotted up several times but they didn't get the ball to him. They just about had to get him going from the outside in order to make a comeback of that magnitude. He hit the big shot near the end of the game to make it 55-52 and then Elliott had the ball with a chance to tie. They should've found Ferguson for that shot, IMO, but Timmy Knipp took the shot and it came up well short. It was, however, a good shot and not forced. He was open but just missed. With 1.5 seconds remaining, SV inbounded the ball and the SV player caught it and landed on the out of bounds stripe. It should've been Elliott's ball with around 1 second remaining but the officials didn't see it and hence the time ran off the clock.

Altogether, SV was the better team today and they were more prepared than Elliott was. I won't be shocked at all to see these two teams win their regions and win their first round games at Rupp to setup a rematch. For the regions that thought they caught a break by drawing the 15th and 16th, good luck to you. Shelby Valley is the real deal. They are big, strong, well coached, and they play as good of defense as I've seen in Kentucky this season. Despite what many will say, Elliott is the real deal to and they will be ready to make a run in March. This is a great year for mountain basketball.
ky wildcats Wrote:I just got in from the game and here are my thoughts - the game was won in the first quarter. Elliott County won the last 3 quarters, but they were shell shocked in the first. They didn't appear to have any kind of gameplan in place at all to start the game and found themselves down 16-3 at one point. I'm not sure if the Elliott coach failed to watch the other Shelby Valley games or what, but he had no plan that I could see as to how to attack SV's defense. Take away that miserable start and Elliott County wins the game. On the 2nd or 3rd play, a Shelby Valley player grabbed Ferguson around the body and slammed him to the floor on one end. On the next play on the other end, Ferguson was hammered twice by the SV big men. Neither was noticed by the officiating crew and that kind of set the tone for the first quarter. The officials were absolutely terrible on both ends and against both teams. They allowed SV to play a physical game and dominate the game by not blowing the whistle. There were numerous times that SV gathered steals by just running into Elliott guards and taking the ball. The officiating in this whole tournament was sketchy at best. Ironically enough, I went to eat after the game and one of the officials walked in the door. I said "that was a pretty intense game, wasn't it?" He answered and then walked out the door and got his food to go.

Elliott had numerous opportunities to get back in the game but always came up a shot or two short. I think their undoing was not allowing Ferguson to get back in the game offensively. He was spotted up several times but they didn't get the ball to him. They just about had to get him going from the outside in order to make a comeback of that magnitude. He hit the big shot near the end of the game to make it 55-52 and then Elliott had the ball with a chance to tie. They should've found Ferguson for that shot, IMO, but Timmy Knipp took the shot and it came up well short. It was, however, a good shot and not forced. He was open but just missed. With 1.5 seconds remaining, SV inbounded the ball and the SV player caught it and landed on the out of bounds stripe. It should've been Elliott's ball with around 1 second remaining but the officials didn't see it and hence the time ran off the clock.

Altogether, SV was the better team today and they were more prepared than Elliott was. I won't be shocked at all to see these two teams win their regions and win their first round games at Rupp to setup a rematch. For the regions that thought they caught a break by drawing the 15th and 16th, good luck to you. Shelby Valley is the real deal. They are big, strong, well coached, and they play as good of defense as I've seen in Kentucky this season. Despite what many will say, Elliott is the real deal to and they will be ready to make a run in March. This is a great year for mountain basketball.

Okay, Valley fans tried using the ref excuse two years ago when Elliott beat us then, and it didn't work then, it doesn't work now.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Okay, Valley fans tried using the ref excuse two years ago when Elliott beat us then, and it didn't work then, it doesn't work now.

Was part of mypost didnt read it either:moon:
ky wildcats Wrote:Altogether, SV was the better team today and they were more prepared than Elliott was. I won't be shocked at all to see these two teams win their regions and win their first round games at Rupp to setup a rematch. For the regions that thought they caught a break by drawing the 15th and 16th, good luck to you. Shelby Valley is the real deal. They are big, strong, well coached, and they play as good of defense as I've seen in Kentucky this season. Despite what many will say, Elliott is the real deal to and they will be ready to make a run in March. This is a great year for mountain basketball.

Was part of mypost didnt read it either:moon:

Dude, you can't make excuses in one part of your post and try to cover them up in the 2nd by saying one team was better.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Dude, you can't make excuses in one part of your post and try to cover them up in the 2nd by saying one team was better.

no excuse my opinon thats all.:Thumbs:
I didn't get to watch the game but it sounds like Shelby Valley done just what they needed to do. The game was low scoring which was in Shelby Valley's favor, and it sounds like Elliot really struggled with the zone. Congrats to Valley though. Something that has got me was the free throw shooting by valley, does anyone have in exact stats on their shooting for the tournament.
Anybody got any stats for Elliot scoring wise?
overall...........http://www.cybersportsusa.com/webgames/T...9245%2Exml..........or...............stats...........http://www.cybersportsusa.com/Webgames/B...009245.xml
Okay I will go ahead say that the mountains have 2 of the top 5 teams in the state in Valley and Elliot. Good luck to both the rest of the way. WAY TO GO WILDCATS!!!
Oh yea man I was totally right I projected that they would win by three I did go look
Great game by Shelby Valley. There are a lot of EC fans out there that are going to blame this loss on officiating (I've heard a lot already) and it's sad to see that they can't just give credit to Shelby Valley. Glad to see Valley quiet the crowd and the doubters.
Wow! I missed this pick and so did a lot of others! Great game and congrats Valley!
mmmmmmmmm.reguardless Valley was the best in this game.Though the refs did call for EC at one time I thought Valley was playing against 6,7 or 8 and still pulled it out.:ref1: :BigLaugh: :****happe
Way To Go Valley!!!
I've already had my serving. I had my doubts. Adams Stepped up played huge. EC has no excuses, the one ref kept EC from a 20 point loss. And that's a Fact.
slugger35 Wrote:I agree, and Shelby Valley is a good team, and they played ver well today. I said yesterday if Elliott played up to their potential they would win easily and after watching the game in person this morning, I will stick to that statement.

I watched the game in person too, and Valley shut EC down right off the bat. EC got the pressure put to them today...bottom line.:flame:
hollerballer Wrote:we will see if they both make it to the 2nd round of the sweet 16...then it will be settled

It was settled today...even with their #1 fan reffing. SV outplayed EC.:flame:
bigman77 Wrote:It was settled today...even with their #1 fan reffing. SV outplayed EC.:flame:

That's exactly right!!!
Without reading throughe verything. I've been in Richmond working for ac ouple of days and came in to check out some of the boys games.
Once I saw both play, I've seen SV play a few times, I told the person I was with that SV would win.
Elliot is a good team, but only have five players and although they have one big body he is lanky and not physical.
Basketball is a game of matchups and SV simply matches up better with Elliot County. Nothing against Ellion County because they are a great team.
bigman77 Wrote:It was settled today...even with their #1 fan reffing. SV outplayed EC.:flame:

I agree totally Bigman!!!Big Grin
Ok, after driving back and forth from Pike Co. to Richmond every day, I have a lot to say on this game. First of all. How can it be said that Elliott would play better if they had more legs? EC had a cup cake schedule to this game. SV had to actually play better competition to get to this point. I thought it was said in the prediction thread that EC can play 3 and 4 games a day and not get tired? If legs was an issue then why not rest your starters when you are up by 50+ on a over matched team? And remember Valley won another game after this one. So legs wasnt a factor for them in this game. Why is it for EC?

Refs are the second thing that needs to be addressed. How can it be said that the refs were in SV favor when SV had more players in foul trouble, and more fouls called on them in this game than EC did? Yes, EC had one to foul out, but look at overall team fouls. At the start of the game, yes a EC and SV player got tangled up and both hit the floor, no call. I think at the most it should have been a double foul. But when both players was running up the floor and the EC player threw a forearm push to the SV player, I think more than a foul should have been called. Look at the tapes and see the total fouls called up until EC started fouling to put SV on the line and say refs were a factor.

Guard play. In my opinion, and from what I seen with my blue tinted glasses today, BOTH of EC guards were trying to contain EJ, both failed. Logan played a heck of a game. He was a very VERY importiant factor in the outcome of this matchup. My hats off to you Mr. Bryant. EC was beating people to death in this tourney with their guard play. But what happens when you have two good guards who go up against two better guards? I think we know the answer to that.

Inside play. EC big man needs to learn how to keep his hands up, and run up and down the floor. Not jog to half court then a slow walk to the top of the key then walk the rest of the way. Valleys big men, both of them, ran the floor 100 times better.

SV out rebounded EC by a ton the first half. I dont have stats, but I would guess at least by 10. SV had a much better game plan. EC was rattled after the first two minutes. SV did what they had to do to win the game. Even though they tried to give it away. 4 minutes and 30 seconds in the 4th without scoring a point. Missing 11 free throws in a row in the 4th. If they had not had a big lead, this game would be EC.

One last thought. Some are saying they belive EC is the better team even though they got it handed to them, at least wait until they have a 1 point lead anywhere in the game to make that statement. EC never had the lead. Except for the free throw shooting, it was total domination from the Wildcats.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
sportzfan Wrote:EC doesn't have a chance against Valley!Big Grin

More Cowbell Wrote:I assume (hope?) you're joking...

NYY10 Wrote:Yea Really, People dont need to say stuff like that. They make Valleys fans look badSad

As you can see, I wasn't joking! I think Valley and their fans look pretty good, don't you? Now, go eat your crow. Valley laid a smokin on EC, like I knew they would! Congratulations Valley! Confusedmoke:
sportzfan Wrote:As you can see, I wasn't joking! I think Valley and their fans look pretty good, don't you? Now, go eat your crow. Valley laid a smokin on EC, like I knew they would! Congratulations Valley! Confusedmoke:

Where could I get one at lol..Big Grin
Well, my belly is full I sure missed this one. As for all the excuses I have none. SV was the better team today just didn't look like EC had played a team that plays as good of D as SV does. Adams may have played the best game he has played this year he was far more aggressive than I have seen him in the past. Honestly, SV would have beat them by 15 if it would have not been for 1 man in stripes and they had made free throws. Hats off to SV, got to go though my stomach is killing me, ahh it's worth it.:worthy: On a side note the Justice boy was just to much for Faulkner 1 and 2 really don't see much of a comparsion here after witnessing this one so lets not bring this one up again but I'll bet if they were tired before this one they were exhausted afterwards.
ky wildcats Wrote:I just got in from the game and here are my thoughts - the game was won in the first quarter. Elliott County won the last 3 quarters, but they were shell shocked in the first. They didn't appear to have any kind of gameplan in place at all to start the game and found themselves down 16-3 at one point. I'm not sure if the Elliott coach failed to watch the other Shelby Valley games or what, but he had no plan that I could see as to how to attack SV's defense. Take away that miserable start and Elliott County wins the game. On the 2nd or 3rd play, a Shelby Valley player grabbed Ferguson around the body and slammed him to the floor on one end. On the next play on the other end, Ferguson was hammered twice by the SV big men. Neither was noticed by the officiating crew and that kind of set the tone for the first quarter. The officials were absolutely terrible on both ends and against both teams. They allowed SV to play a physical game and dominate the game by not blowing the whistle. There were numerous times that SV gathered steals by just running into Elliott guards and taking the ball. The officiating in this whole tournament was sketchy at best. Ironically enough, I went to eat after the game and one of the officials walked in the door. I said "that was a pretty intense game, wasn't it?" He answered and then walked out the door and got his food to go.

Love this post. Completely agree
As far as officiating, they missed several calls each way and made bum calls each way as well.
With SV style of play it does help them greatly to let a game be called loose. But also with the lack of depth for Elliot County it kind of helps them as well.
great game SV
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next