Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strokes of brilliance: Relays, depth lead Notre Dame to championship
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...902080420/
Notre Dame Academy entered Saturday's Fourth Region swim meet as the favorite and exited as the champion.

Totaling 303 points, the Pandas finished 74 points ahead of second-place Beechwood at Scott High School. It's the Pandas' 11th straight title.

Notre Dame's overall team strength was obvious as the competition progressed, and Panda relay teams set regional records in the 200-yard medley, as well as the 200 and 400 freestyle.

Beechwood junior Krissie Brandenburg took the meet's outstanding swimmer award. Brandenburg broke her own regional record in the 100-yard backstroke.

Although she has been to the state competition before, Brandenburg said "this is by far my best year, and my experience will definitely help me."

Along with her teammates, Brandenburg helped Beechwood claim the combine championship, beating second-place Ryle by almost 100 points.

"Winning the combine is pretty exciting," Brandenburg said. "We scattered our girls out, and it definitely paid off."

Capturing the regional diving title was at the top of Highlands' senior Hannah Gadd's to-do list this season.