Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News: A-Rod ADMITS to Steroid Use between 2001-2003
WOW...All I can say is WOW....Ya know I'm glad he came forth about it and didn't take the Bonds or Clemens approach, but a cheat is a cheat and his records will not count because of it. He was stupid for using and now he'll be punished...This is a big step for baseball.
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:WOW...All I can say is WOW....Ya know I'm glad he came forth about it and didn't take the Bonds or Clemens approach, but a cheat is a cheat and his records will not count because of it. He was stupid for using and now he'll be punished...This is a big step for baseball.

He will only be punished in the Public's eye, not by baseball or legally. He was never questioned by the Government, thus he does not have the same issues as Bonds or Clemons for purgery.

How much does this impact with with the public? We will just have to see. I am glad though that he fessed up and now has made it public record. When Any Pettit admitted that he used, there was a major separation between he and Clemons. It appeared that people gave Andy a pass and acutally felt bad for the guy.

I don't expect that same forgivenss with with A-Rod, but I do think he will be able to begin the damage control rather quickly.
What will happen to him now?
I really don't care that he took steroids, but i really don't care about baseball. I'm just glad that he didn't deny it and lie to everyone. I commend you A-Rod for being strait up with with us.
Stardust Wrote:He will only be punished in the Public's eye, not by baseball or legally. He was never questioned by the Government, thus he does not have the same issues as Bonds or Clemons for purgery.

How much does this impact with with the public? We will just have to see. I am glad though that he fessed up and now has made it public record. When Any Pettit admitted that he used, there was a major separation between he and Clemons. It appeared that people gave Andy a pass and acutally felt bad for the guy.

I don't expect that same forgivenss with with A-Rod, but I do think he will be able to begin the damage control rather quickly.

Actually, you are half right....True that baseball and the legal team can not technically do anything to him but just as with Bonds and Clemens they will not be in the HOF thus their numbers mean nothing.
He cited that he was under immence pressure in Texas when he signed that 10-yr contract, to perform everyday at a high level as the reason he began to take steroids...
Completely disingenuous interview. You don't "experiment for three years" with a steroid combination normally used by hardcore bodybuilders. There's no way in Hades that an elite professional athlete does not know what drugs he's taking and what their effects will be.

Gammons botched the interview seven ways to Sunday. He left lots of follow-up questions just sitting on the tee. That may have been a condition for the interview --- no follow-ups --- and if so, it was completely unethical.

Absolutely disgusted with how A-Rod tries to make Selena Roberts --- one of the best sports reporters, period --- out to be the villain of the piece. MLB Network's commentators took him apart over that, too, and MLBN did a phoner with Roberts who flatly denied 99.999 percent of what A-Rod claimed. Given how A-Rod tried to sling mud on her, you have to wonder exactly how much dirt she has on him.

He should have just apologized, admitted it and left it at that. Three minutes, tops. Instead he rambles on for over a half-hour. If there are any factual problems with what he said then people will be lining up to tee off on him.

Have to wonder how all these Dallas steroids dealers are getting such great access to the Rangers' locker room of late (A-Rod, Palmeiro, Canseco, others?).

And the spray-on tan was not at all impressive. Vanity, thy name is Alex Rodriguez.

Oh ... Jose Canseco was right. Again.
I still hope they, the media ride him like they did Bonds and the others.
He could face some minor drug charges due to the fact that steroids were illegal then and still are today. He could also 'possibly' face a suspension from the mlb, but I doubt it. At least he came forward and admitted to it and didn't drag out a lie into the court system like some other players.
He a Yankee and the poster boy for baseball nothing will come of this.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:He a Yankee and the poster boy for baseball nothing will come of this.

Lots will come of this. This story isn't anywhere near finished. As much extra nonsense as he threw out there tonight, there's lots of open target areas.

And he's not even the poster boy of the Yankees, much less baseball.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:He could face some minor drug charges due to the fact that steroids were illegal then and still are today. He could also 'possibly' face a suspension from the mlb, but I doubt it. At least he came forward and admitted to it and didn't drag out a lie into the court system like some other players.

100% false...Since it happened in 2003 MLB can not suspend him or anything. The only way he could be punished was if he denied it today, and then congress made him testify and go under oath and what not.
TomSportsHack Wrote:Completely disingenuous interview. You don't "experiment for three years" with a steroid combination normally used by hardcore bodybuilders. There's no way in Hades that an elite professional athlete does not know what drugs he's taking and what their effects will be.

Gammons botched the interview seven ways to Sunday. He left lots of follow-up questions just sitting on the tee. That may have been a condition for the interview --- no follow-ups --- and if so, it was completely unethical.

Absolutely disgusted with how A-Rod tries to make Selena Roberts --- one of the best sports reporters, period --- out to be the villain of the piece. MLB Network's commentators took him apart over that, too, and MLBN did a phoner with Roberts who flatly denied 99.999 percent of what A-Rod claimed. Given how A-Rod tried to sling mud on her, you have to wonder exactly how much dirt she has on him.

He should have just apologized, admitted it and left it at that. Three minutes, tops. Instead he rambles on for over a half-hour. If there are any factual problems with what he said then people will be lining up to tee off on him.

Have to wonder how all these Dallas steroids dealers are getting such great access to the Rangers' locker room of late (A-Rod, Palmeiro, Canseco, others?).

And the spray-on tan was not at all impressive. Vanity, thy name is Alex Rodriguez.

Great post...that about covers it all.
As I said in the last thread, I honestly don't blame him at all. He is expected to perform at his best, steroids were in no way banned by the MLB at the time, and they certainly aided him. Maybe it's just me, but I want to see records broke. I want to see people put up freakish stats, I couldn't give a rat's *** whether or not he had to inject some test to do it. If I'm watching the game, I don't want to see sub par performances. If a league bans a substance from being used, then using it is by all means cheating. He didn't cheat. He played smart and played by the rules. The public wants to see an athlete dominate, and when he finds something to help him do that they demonize him.

Hypocracy, thy name is the public.
blackcat_mc Wrote:As I said in the last thread, I honestly don't blame him at all. He is expected to perform at his best, steroids were in no way banned by the MLB at the time, and they certainly aided him. Maybe it's just me, but I want to see records broke. I want to see people put up freakish stats, I couldn't give a rat's *** whether or not he had to inject some test to do it. If I'm watching the game, I don't want to see sub par performances. If a league bans a substance from being used, then using it is by all means cheating. He didn't cheat. He played smart and played by the rules. The public wants to see an athlete dominate, and when he finds something to help him do that they demonize him.

Hypocracy, thy name is the public.

Is that what you'd tell your kids if they came to you saying they were feeling pressured to take steroids, because if so then that is horrible and disgusting to even think about.

If you say otherwise, then you are just being hypocritical.

Some of the best baseball players never used enhancing drugs, so I don't see how it is believed that baseball has only survived because of it.

104 names listed in that report, last time I checked more than 104 players played in the MLB.

Hank Aaron, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Jack Morris, Craig Biggio, Pete Rose, Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr, etc.

All are some of the greatest to play the game but yet they never had to take anything to enhance their performance.
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Is that what you'd tell your kids if they came to you saying they were feeling pressured to take steroids, because if so then that is horrible and disgusting to even think about.

If you say otherwise, then you are just being hypocritical.

Some of the best baseball players never used enhancing drugs, so I don't see how it is believed that baseball has only survived because of it.

104 names listed in that report, last time I checked more than 104 players played in the MLB.

Hank Aaron, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Jack Morris, Craig Biggio, Pete Rose, Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr, etc.

All are some of the greatest to play the game but yet they never had to take anything to enhance their performance.

By saying I don't blame A-rod for taking them I never said steroids are ok for kids to take. That isn't being hypocritical, my kids aren't highly paid professional athletes. They are kids. Steroids will affect them MUCH differently than they will a healthy adult.

Baseball's lifeline isn't roids. Steroids do not make a player, they help them. Baseball was around before steroids and always will be. The days of playing the sport for the sake of playing the sport are gone, however. Its all about the $$$ now.

I'm sure there are players that have done great things without performance enhancing substances. So? There's been players to great things while taking them. Steroids don't help as much as most people think. They are a great aid to athletes, but they will get you nowhere without hard work and determination.
blackcat_mc Wrote:steroids were in no way banned by the MLB at the time

Wrong.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports.../baseball/

Quote:The possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance by Major League players and personnel is strictly prohibited. Major League players or personnel involved in the possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance are subject to discipline by the Commissioner and risk permanent expulsion from the game. In addition to any discipline this office may impose, a Club also may take action under applicable provisions of and special covenants to the Uniform Player's Contract.

This prohibition applies to all illegal drugs and controlled substances, including steroids or prescription drugs for which the individual in possession of the drug does not have a prescription. Clubs will dispense prescription drugs only under the direction of the team physician and appropriate records of such distribution and use will be maintained. All drugs on Club premises will be kept under lock and key. For their own protection, players who are taking a prescription drug under the direction of any physician other than the team physician must notify the team physician of this fact and of the drug(s) prescribed.

Dated 15 May 1997, and was actually a reissue of a directive by former Commissioner Fay Vincent in 1991.
TomSportsHack Wrote:Wrong.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports.../baseball/

Dated 15 May 1997, and was actually a reissue of a directive by former Commissioner Fay Vincent in 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leagu...rug_policy

From what I've read, there was absolutely no testing until 2003, and no consequences until 2005.
TomSportsHack Wrote:Completely disingenuous interview. You don't "experiment for three years" with a steroid combination normally used by hardcore bodybuilders. There's no way in Hades that an elite professional athlete does not know what drugs he's taking and what their effects will be.

GREAT POST!
blackcat_mc Wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leagu...rug_policy

From what I've read, there was absolutely no testing until 2003, and no consequences until 2005.

Well there is your first mistake. Do not use wiki as a source. Anyone can post information. I could post that baseball loves steroids and is giving them out to players, if I wanted.
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Well there is your first mistake. Do not use wiki as a source. Anyone can post information. I could post that baseball loves steroids and is giving them out to players, if I wanted.

:Thumbs:
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Actually, you are half right....True that baseball and the legal team can not technically do anything to him but just as with Bonds and Clemens they will not be in the HOF thus their numbers mean nothing.

Correct, and I should have included that as my thought for the "public eye". You are right, he will likely never get into the HOF. It's already had impact on the writers. Early polling has indicated that McGwire would only receive 20% vote for HOF.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:He could face some minor drug charges due to the fact that steroids were illegal then and still are today. He could also 'possibly' face a suspension from the mlb, but I doubt it. At least he came forward and admitted to it and didn't drag out a lie into the court system like some other players.

Past the statute of limitations, can't do anything legally to him.
Jshort5 Wrote:He cited that he was under immence pressure in Texas when he signed that 10-yr contract, to perform everyday at a high level as the reason he began to take steroids...

What a joke this statement was! He conveniently stopped using when he went to New York.

You mean to tell me that he felt pressure in Texas, thus he felt the need to use steroids. Then he goes to New York, the most vicious media and fan's in the country! And he stopped using steroids then! How could he feel pressure in Texas but not New York, PLEASE!!!!
Got to love the NY media

[attachment=o1402]
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Well there is your first mistake. Do not use wiki as a source. Anyone can post information. I could post that baseball loves steroids and is giving them out to players, if I wanted.

It's an article on the program? Is the fact it was signed in 2006 and opinion or something?
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I really don't care that he took steroids, but i really don't care about baseball. I'm just glad that he didn't deny it and lie to everyone. I commend you A-Rod for being strait up with with us.

He lied about it on 60 minutes a few years ago.
surprise,surprise, not shocked at all
surprise,surprise, not shocked at all
I am way past the point of..WHO CARES! It is what it is..IN ALL SPORTS!