Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10
Yeah it's sad, little work ethic won't get you anywhere in this world.
I feel sorry for Grim but if he is in such need Jim Booth has plenty of job openings if they can pass drug test.
Do they not drink Mountain Dew in the rest of the COUNTRY?:confused:
Joker Wrote:Do they not drink Mountain Dew in the rest of the COUNTRY?:confused:

Maybe not.... That must be why it is called "Mountain" dew!!!!! lol
559 Comments | Add Yours

Apparently people aren't very happy AT ALL with this. I didn't see it or I wouldn't be either.

thetribe Wrote:559 Comments | Add Yours

Apparently people aren't very happy AT ALL with this. I didn't see it or I wouldn't be either.

It was a slap in the face to hard working eastern Kentucky people.
Yeah, everytime they do something on Eastern Ky, they show the worst parts...... Just like 48 hours did 15 years ago....

At least they did show Jim Booths big ole house....haha
I want to see this but I guess I won't be. Definitely not pay $30 for a copy of it on DVD so it can **** me off. I can only imagine. Country Boys depicted us bad enough on top of every other program that runs EKY, no one TRIES to portray us as a whole, just that particular type.

thetribe Wrote:I want to see this but I guess I won't be. Definitely not pay $30 for a copy of it on DVD so it can **** me off. I can only imagine. Country Boys depicted us bad enough on top of every other program that runs EKY, no one TRIES to portray us as a whole, just that particular type.
I tivoed it if anyone has a way of getting it off it.
I don't know about anyone else, but I am PROUD to be an eastern Kentuckian!! We all know what we are made of here. I'll tell you something else, us folks will stick together like no other whenever an outsider comes in and tries to stereotype us!!
I really wish everyone would not be so upset about how it portrays Eastern Kentucky. It's the truth.

I live here and have lived here all my life. What was shown was not true of me and my immediate family, but do I know people, people close to me, who have gone through addiction to Oxy, getting a GED, rotting teeth, no hope, horrible living conditions? Sure. They're here, people.

I think what Diane Sawyer wanted to highlight is the fact that there are still people and communities in the margins that are being forgotten.

IF this exposure could funnel any money our way, then I'm glad it was shown.

But, I have to admit, the Mountain Dew segment and the incest where the man said he'd shoot his own mother made me cringe.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it isn't the truth.

I think the coal miners portrayed came across as hard-working people who did what they could to make a good living. Not dumb hillbillies.

And, what perseverence must someone have to walk 16 miles a day to a GED class? That's not laziness.

But, the Shawn Grimm segment brought tears to my eyes. I saw him on campus and spoke to him frequently--never knew his situation. Reminds me that you never know what the people right beside you are going through.

Pray for this area, our people, and our problems.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I tivoed it if anyone has a way of getting it off it.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f80/transferrin...vd-220248/

all-or-nothing Wrote:I really wish everyone would not be so upset about how it portrays Eastern Kentucky. It's the truth.

I live here and have lived here all my life. What was shown was not true of me and my immediate family, but do I know people, people close to me, who have gone through addiction to Oxy, getting a GED, rotting teeth, no hope, horrible living conditions? Sure. They're here, people.

I think what Diane Sawyer wanted to highlight is the fact that there are still people and communities in the margins that are being forgotten.

But, I have to admit, the Mountain Dew segment and the incest where the man said he'd shoot his own mother made me cringe.

I think the coal miners portrayed came across as hard-working people who did what they could to make a good living. Not dumb hillbillies.

And, what perseverence must someone have to walk 16 miles a day to a GED class? That's not laziness.

But, the Shawn Grimm segment brought tears to my eyes. I saw him on campus and spoke to him frequently--never knew his situation. Reminds me that you never know what the people right beside you are going through.

I respectfully agree with most of what you say, however I have 3 questions for you:
1. Is the way of life depicted in the program the norm in east Kentucky?
2. Does Poverty exist in other areas than here?
3. Why do they always choose us?
all-or-nothing Wrote:I really wish everyone would not be so upset about how it portrays Eastern Kentucky. It's the truth.

Shawn has his own laptop, a cell phone, a car, and his head on straight. He can make a life for himself.
allseasonfan Wrote:I respectfully agree with most of what you say, however I have 3 questions for you:
1. Is the way of life depicted in the program the norm in east Kentucky?
2. Does Poverty exist in other areas than here?
3. Why do they always choose us?

You have valid points, and I realize that is the reason so many people are angry at 20/20 and Diane Sawyer.

1. No, it is not the norm that I am aware of. And, my life wasn't picture perfect but it was pretty normal and I was a pretty sheltered kid. Considering.....I lived in a trailer in my grandparent's garden growing up, my parents were divorced, my dad was an alcoholic and a drug addict and was killed mysteriously when I was 18. My mom had to work two jobs while she went to school to better herself and make more money for our family, and I ate cereal and ham sandwiches and Pepsi daily. BUT, I was not exposed to filthy living conditions, had food on the table every day, had most of what other kids had, clothes and supplies I needed, and a family who worked hard and loved one another. So, that's my normal. What's yours?

2.Yes, poverty exists in other areas.
3. I don't know the answer, but we do need help. Whatever we are doing, whatever help we are getting, it's not enough.

Ultimately, I hope people see that we all need to do more to help one another and not tear each other down.
If Diane Sawyer was so concerned about the people, why did she and her crew let the man and woman walk in the rain to and from the GED class? How much money did she give these people to help them out? Or did ABC give these families any money to be on the show?
All I got to say is that show really ticked me off.:mad:
all-or-nothing Wrote:You have valid points, and I realize that is the reason so many people are angry at 20/20 and Diane Sawyer.

1. No, it is not the norm that I am aware of. And, my life wasn't picture perfect but it was pretty normal and I was a pretty sheltered kid. Considering.....I lived in a trailer in my grandparent's garden growing up, my parents were divorced, my dad was an alcoholic and a drug addict and was killed mysteriously when I was 18. My mom had to work two jobs while she went to school to better herself and make more money for our family, and I ate cereal and ham sandwiches and Pepsi daily. BUT, I was not exposed to filthy living conditions, had food on the table every day, had most of what other kids had, clothes and supplies I needed, and a family who worked hard and loved one another. So, that's my normal. What's yours?

2.Yes, poverty exists in other areas.
3. I don't know the answer, but we do need help. Whatever we are doing, whatever help we are getting, it's not enough.

Ultimately, I hope people see that we all need to do more to help one another and not tear each other down.

I do think we have a huge drug problem. I hope this publicity can get us some help in this area.
Well, I've got to say, that this is one of the better portrayals I've seen on TV of EKY. Some parts were just funny (the Mountain Dew, Mother Theresa of Mud Creek.. hahah) and others were just sad. I work in a school system and I see these kids who have parents on drugs, and the drug part of the show happens more than we realize. No doubt these are the extreme cases, but I think many of us are just lucky and blessed and don't realize how hard some people have it. Of course, there are cases like this everywhere. I wish they had shown more of the norm. It may not be all mansions, but it's not all garbage piled and nasty like they show. Diane Sawyer seems to really care about these people and their situations, and I feel like she doesn't buy into the stereotype.

And I'm hoping the TV crew actually gave the people that walked rides, but just filmed them walking in parts, so that people would get the idea of their usual day. I commend them for working and getting their GED.

I have some mixed feelings about the show. I feel like they showed the area as having hard working, good people, but also they showed some extreme cases, that is not the norm.

Sorry I was just trying to talk my feelings out in this post. lol
Pupaw Wrote:I also read somewhere where they had some "statistic" that every 1 out of 10 children living in Appalachia are toothless. This is a first for me, as I have lived in "Appalachia" all of my life, and I haven't even met 5 toothless children (old enough to have teeth) since I've been alive.

You can put me on that list
After reading through several pages of the comments on the site mentioned above, I was really blown away by the kindness of many people on there. Wanting to send donations of clothes, money and toys. The football player has been offered several jobs on there, and offers to help him get into a community college. Someone mentioned wanting to see if any of the children needed permanant homes as they were looking to adopt.

On one hand, this show really makes the area look bad, as they totally left out the other side. But it also brings out alot of good in people too.

Here is a comment on the board:

"I am 11 and what I think about the Appalation Mountains is that these people are in major poverty, and I look at what they have, and then look at what I have.This makes me realise how lucky I am.When I get older I want to be a nurse but I also want to travel to help these people!!! I also want these peple to know that I will be keeping ALL of them in my thoughts and prayers. Lauren of PA"

So sweet.
haha, Im watching this show right now and it is a joke. They pick the biggest hicks out of the head of the hollar. But who am I to speak thats what i am, lol. Them talking about Mt. Dew was hilarious. Are we the only people that drink Mt. Dew????
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:haha, Im watching this show right now and it is a joke. They pick the biggest hicks out of the head of the hollar. But who am I to speak thats what i am, lol. Them talking about Mt. Dew was hilarious. Are we the only people that drink Mt. Dew????

The show is about poverty and those people are living in poverty.

I'm embarrassed about it, but its true whether we want to face it or not.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:Are we the only people that drink Mt. Dew????

No.

allseasonfan Wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I am PROUD to be an eastern Kentuckian!! We all know what we are made of here. I'll tell you something else, us folks will stick together like no other whenever an outsider comes in and tries to stereotype us!!

I agree with you 100%. I have heard many people from other states say they felt welcome here and people in kentucky are some of the friendliest they have ever been around. One thing that really gets on my nerves are where all these high profile people talk down on us. I'm probably different from most people because these high profile people think they have to live their life with a alarm clock and their normal rigid schedule of predetermined patterns of behavior to live a good life. I dont agree with that but oh well.. I'm proud of where I'm from and wouldn't have had it any other way.
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:I agree with you 100%. I have heard many people from other states say they felt welcome here and people in kentucky are some of the friendliest they have ever been around. One thing that really gets on my nerves are where all these high profile people talk down on us. I'm probably different from most people because these high profile people think they have to live their life with a alarm clock and their normal rigid schedule of predetermined patterns of behavior to live a good life. I dont agree with that but oh well.. I'm proud of where I'm from and wouldn't have had it any other way.

I agree 100%.
Little Courtney broke my heart, she's pretty and has "all"of her teeth, not only that her teeth was straight. Ky has always been sterotyped and this documentary didn't make it worse. It focused on the lives of these kids and the obstacles and hurdles in each of their lives. Children are products of their parents and it didn't take you long to figure out the dysfunction within their lives. When things are exposed and brought to the surface is a reminder to all of us to lend a helping hand to those less fortunate.
Joker Wrote:If Diane Sawyer was so concerned about the people, why did she and her crew let the man and woman walk in the rain to and from the GED class? How much money did she give these people to help them out? Or did ABC give these families any money to be on the show?

That's what I'm saying.. From where I'm from we help one another whenever and however you can. And the more I think the more it makes me mad is where they got that little girl to sing a gossip song and talked like it was something bad that she knew them.
The only one that really meant anything was the Shawn Grimm section. Why couldn't he find a job? Did he drop out because of grades or money?
If...Then Wrote:The only one that really meant anything was the Shawn Grimm section. Why couldn't he find a job? Did he drop out because of grades or money?

He said on the show money. My family makes a lot more money than what they showed his family earned and I was awarded 10K in financial aid, I'm sure he could have went to college on 10K financial aid and a football scholarship. Shawn just didn't have the work ethic.