Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10
PC_You_Know Wrote:He said on the show money. My family makes a lot more money than what they showed his family earned and I was awarded 10K in financial aid, I'm sure he could have went to college on 10K financial aid and a football scholarship. Shawn just didn't have the work ethic.

Maybe that's why you can't understand where he's coming from. Otherwise, I'm still perplexed by your attitude toward him. You'd better hope your attitude and insensitivity don't come back to bite you one day.
BballFan63 Wrote:Maybe that's why you can't understand where he's coming from. Otherwise, I'm still perplexed by your attitude toward him. You'd better hope your attitude and insensitivity don't come back to bite you one day.

11 people live in a 3 bedroom house next to me, I think I can understand where he's coming from.
PC_You_Know Wrote:11 people live in a 3 bedroom house next to me, I think I can understand where he's coming from.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. Until you've lived it, you don't understand. Merely seeing it isn't the same. And, I don't want you to think I'm just arguing with you. We just have differing opinions on this.
I'm still not sure what to think about this show. I'm trying to keep my mouth shut until I decide how I feel about it. But I do want to say that the whole bit about incest was absolutely disgusting!

"The closer the kin, the deeper in." I mean come on?!? Really?! Why say that? Especially when you're on camera and the whole country is going to see. Absolute filth.
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:I'm still not sure what to think about this show. I'm trying to keep my mouth shut until I decide how I feel about it. But I do want to say that the whole bit about incest was absolutely disgusting!

"The closer the kin, the deeper in." I mean come on?!? Really?! Why say that? Especially when you're on camera and the whole country is going to see. Absolute filth.

I agree. It was tacky on the part of the show and completely unnecessary.
Can someone explain what happened about incest on it to me? I didn't get to see any of it. I read the article and watched Courtney's video but the site left anything about incest off.

thetribe Wrote:Can someone explain what happened about incest on it to me? I didn't get to see any of it. I read the article and watched Courtney's video but the site left anything about incest off.

I sent you a PM.
First of all.. If you are too poor to buy food then how in the frick do you have enough money to pay a cable bill?? Maybe they hijack it I don't know. But then comes in the question how to you affor a TV.. People need to get their priorities in order for the most part. I have had neighbors before that don't work because they are lazy. I'm talking like 8 people living in a single wide trailer, babies walking around in the road with nothing but a diaper on.. Now some of these people might really have problems, but I've seen a bunch of cases where it is lack of a work ethic and just pure old laziness.

Now i know first hand that the drug epidemic around here is terrible. I know that people will do anything to get a fix. Even if that means they have to put their kids on the back burner so to speak. I know of situations where the parent has left there 8 year old by itself for a few hours so the mom can go party for a few hours.

This area is world renowned for its drug use, and that is one of the reasons for the poverty level. That and a severe lack of good paying jobs. However I also think that the majority of people can do some things to help themselves. I don't feel sorry for anyone who can work and don't for whatever reason, and I never will..
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
thetribe Wrote:Can someone explain what happened about incest on it to me? I didn't get to see any of it. I read the article and watched Courtney's video but the site left anything about incest off.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6848540

On the left, click on the 20/20 sign. Then click on 2/13/09. Then click on the 5th video on the bottom of the screen. That whole segment is included in that video

The whole show can be watched on the above website
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:http://www.abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6848540

On the left, click on the 20/20 sign. Then click on 2/13/09. Then click on the 5th video on the bottom of the screen. That whole segment is included in that video

The whole show can be watched on the above website

Thanks, I am going to watch them all right now.

I went to Pikeville College on a scholarship but still had a hard time making ends meet, even with the support of my parents. From my understanding Pikeville is still one of the most costly schools in the state and they rarely give full scholarship. As for his laptop I believe many schools have a program where they loan students a computer, or he could have bought it with his own money, he was working during high school. I am sure it was a huge adjustment for Shawn. So often kids drop out of school their first year because it is such a change. These are kids who have no financial trouble and don't have to play sports to stay in school. Even though he might have had money for tuition how was he suppose to afford to go to dinner with friends or to the movies. Do you know how embarrassing it is to be left behind? If you don't have the support of your family or someone you look up to it is hard to succeed. As for work ethic, look how much work ethic he showed at JCHS. Sometimes you just get discouraged and if no one is there to build you back up you can't be your best. Best of luck to Shawn and all the "children of the mountains"
I Watched Some Of The Video Of The Show And Really It Made Me Sick To My Stomach. I Am Sure There Is Alot Worse Places Than Eastern Ky I Think They Should Put Up Or Shut Up If Its So Bad Why Not Do Something To Help. Yeah Drugs Are Bad Here They Are Everywhere But Why Don't They Go To Their Big Cities And Take A Hard Look I Have Never Seen Someone Sleep On The Streets Here. Mr. Grimm What Does He Want A Pity Trip Or Something What Is Funny Is He Had A Laptop And A Cell Phone But Had To Sleep Out Of His Truck. And If He Was So Poor How Could He Not Get Financial Aid To Help. So I Think He Is A Fake Just To Get On T.v. And To Lazy He Dropped Out Of School. There Are Lazy Ppl Here Just Like Everywhere Else. I Wouldn't Trade East Ky For Any State Or Any Other Place In This So Called Great Nation. This Country Has Turned It's Back On The One True Constant And That Being God And This Country Is Going To Fall. There Is No Getting Better Only Worse The Bible Will Tell You This.
jmoore75 Wrote:I Watched Some Of The Video Of The Show And Really It Made Me Sick To My Stomach. I Am Sure There Is Alot Worse Places Than Eastern Ky I Think They Should Put Up Or Shut Up If Its So Bad Why Not Do Something To Help. Yeah Drugs Are Bad Here They Are Everywhere But Why Don't They Go To Their Big Cities And Take A Hard Look I Have Never Seen Someone Sleep On The Streets Here. Mr. Grimm What Does He Want A Pity Trip Or Something What Is Funny Is He Had A Laptop And A Cell Phone But Had To Sleep Out Of His Truck. And If He Was So Poor How Could He Not Get Financial Aid To Help. So I Think He Is A Fake Just To Get On T.v. And To Lazy He Dropped Out Of School. There Are Lazy Ppl Here Just Like Everywhere Else. I Wouldn't Trade East Ky For Any State Or Any Other Place In This So Called Great Nation. This Country Has Turned It's Back On The One True Constant And That Being God And This Country Is Going To Fall. There Is No Getting Better Only Worse The Bible Will Tell You This.

You think it's funny that someone was trying to make something of themselves but had to drop out because he didn't have enough money to pay for school? There's a special place for people like you. And you don't have to capitalize every word in a sentence and paragraph...
Listen guys, poor kids have all the assistance in the world to make it through school. It's a bunch of bull when they say otherwise. I work at a University and it's a lot tougher for kids whose parents make too much money than it is for a poorer kid to go to college. There are grants, (CAP and Pell), there are financial aids, workstudy programs, athletic scholarships, regular scholarships. There should be no reason whatsoever that someone can blame not having enough money to go to school especially when you have a football scholarship to begin with.
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Listen guys, poor kids have all the assistance in the world to make it through school. It's a bunch of bull when they say otherwise. I work at a University and it's a lot tougher for kids whose parents make too much money than it is for a poorer kid to go to college. There are grants, (CAP and Pell), there are financial aids, workstudy programs, athletic scholarships, regular scholarships. There should be no reason whatsoever that someone can blame not having enough money to go to school especially when you have a football scholarship to begin with.

I completly agree with you. This country and in this part of it we make it to easy to get through life without working hard. We expect everything to be handed to use and that is not the way the worl works. It is hard for me to have a lot of sympathy for people who don't work hard and take advantage of what is offered. I understand his family situation is/was difficult but that should have been a motivator to do better. Although my situation wasn't as bad as his but speaking from a personal experience I come from a home with a single parent that raised 2 sons while going to college when I was in high school. I attended a state college and stayed on campus. All paid for by financial aid, 20 hour week work study and a 35-40 hour per week job at a restaurant. I was also an 18 year old father.

Football is a sport and it ends sooner or later and most of us had it end sooner. So improving your personal situation should be your goal going into college. He could have went to a community or state college and had every paid for. You have to want it bad enough and you will find a way to do it.
It was very sad and frustrating to see this... But the rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer... I truly love this area but I agree some things have to be done about the situation.
This was just another way to show America that the people of East Ky are nothing but poor, no teeth, shoeless wearing, uneducated, imbreds. Which is completely untrue..But they want to take their cameras to the poorest parts of the state and say "this is how appalachia lives." There is poverty, toothlessness, drug abusing, mountain dew drinking, etc. all over this so called great nation.
Producers know this will get ratings and make people laugh or feel sorry for people of Eastern Ky. Thats why they only put the bad stuff on TV. Its just like filming a reality show, what ever or who ever is the most dramatic will be put on TV for their drinking, crying, fighting or anything else. This is what the producers want veiwers to see these people as everytime their on...Except we are poor, mountain dew drinking "hillbillies." BULLS***!!!
What was the Mountain Dew excerpt from it? I know it has been mentioned several times in the two threads that I've saw about this show so what happened there?

thetribe Wrote:What was the Mountain Dew excerpt from it? I know it has been mentioned several times in the two threads that I've saw about this show so what happened there?

It stated that Mountain Dew is used in East KY as a anti-depressant. They said it was the cause for 1/10 children in East KY being toothless.
I took this as a slap in the face personally. Are there very poor people in east ky? yes they are. But not all of the ppl here live like that.I also have lived here all my life, and I havent seen many "toothless" kids. And I dont drink mountain dew to help with my depression lmao... Fact is, There happens to be very nice people and houses around here, but they obviously wanted to find the deepest hollow and go up there, and film that. Theres also homeless people living in boxes on the streets in New York, why not do a vid on them?. It just bothers me, knowing that people from other states see this documentary or w/e and think we are all like that, and "ALL OF EAST KY" is going to be like that. Screw you ABC.
I think we all should stand up and shame Mitch McConnell for fighting this stimulius in DC while he has some of his people living in such poverty. If he would think of the people of EKY rather than his high dollar buddies in Washington! Our governamental leaders should be shamed for not fighting for some sort of industry in this area.
Before you get all riled up and defensive. Check the number of children who receive free lunch and ask the local dentist how prevelent cavities are in pre-school age children. Threre are many many good hard working people in Eastern Kentucky but there are also a high number of folks just like the ones in the video.
I'm just going to copy and paste the same post that I placed on the topic of this show in the football thread because I don't feel like retyping it...

Unread Today, 06:35 PM #95

Okay, so I wasn't going to make my opinion known too much about this whole show because it was the most ignorant thing I've ever watched, and I knew before even watching it that it would be.

My opinion is, what about the good things happening here in all the communities, Harlan County was one of the places shown (which is where I'm from), what about showing the new things going on in the hospital, all the work that's been done on it. What about the fact that the hospital has been in the top 100 hospitals now for like 2 or 3 years now? What about the fact that Harlan Independent High School has been in the top 10 high schools since 2006? What about the new drug center (Hope center) for women who are on drugs that are now making a life for themselves? What about the new detention center? What about the new high school, and all the classes and new programs being offered there? What about the new school store which is allowing students to work there and gain knowledge in the working business?

I ask where was all this stuff? The reason I mention only Harlan county things is because I live here, I'm not saying that we're better than any other county, or anything like that, so don't say it. I simply only know these things about my county, if someone else knows things about the other counties, then list the things you wish they would of posted.

What blows my mind is people say "oh it's mountain dews fault that we don't have teeth" that's the most ignorant thing ever! What about dark pop? I mean seriously... the PARENTS give them the pop to drink which shouldn't be done to begin with, but why not teach them to brush their teeth! If they would brush their teeth then they probably wouldn't have a problem. And I don't want to hear that they don't have money for it, all you have to do is go to the dentists office and they give free toothbrushes away, and even if they don't, go to the health department, and I know that they give them away at schools sometimes, so you can get a darn toothbrush, teach your kids to brush their teeth if you're going to give them junk food and let them drink pop and quit you're complaining about it!

Now, Shawn Grimm's story I look at it in both views, I feel for him for everything he's been through, but he's had support I'm sure, from his coach or so it seemed like that on TV. If you want to make something of yourself then you're going to do it, regardless of the support or not, that should push you MORE to want to accomplish something, he accomplished graduating without them, so why not college? Why not do it so you can throw it back in their face and say "look I did this WITHOUT you, without help, without support." If he didn't have money, they would of put him on finical aid, and theres plenty of other people that do this stuff with all their problems, with all the not having food and all that, other people do it, so why make an exception for him. What about the kids that go to high school and middle schools and only eat AT school, is everyone going to start forking out stuff for them to make it through college? DOUBTFUL.

I'm going to say that the show for Harlan was portrayed halfway, yes we have those problems, yes things are still needing to change, but things like this happen EVERYWHERE not just in the Appalachian community, why not go out to Hollywood and document the people on drugs out there, or what about New York, Detroit , places like this? Why not go somewhere else instead of coming here. Or if you're going to come here, then come back and do another hour long special on things that are CHANGING and the things that are happening that are going GOOD for our communities.

Now again, I talk about Harlan county because this is where I live, I don't know all the other counties situations or things that are changing there, hence the reason I didn't mention those, so don't say I'm trying to pick out Harlan county as the only county to talk about that's doing good, I'm sure others are, but it wasn't portrayed, and I don't live there so I don't know what's going on there, I only know what's going on here.