Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swimming: Girls give region shot at championships
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...902130408/

For the past decade, Northern Kentucky's state swimming and diving titles have skewed decidedly male. Since 1999, area boys' event championships have outnumbered the girls' 4 to 1.

This year might be the girls' turn to make up some ground.

Heading into this weekend's state meet at the University of Louisville's Ralph Wright Natatorium, area representatives are seeded No. 1 in only two events, both girls'. Beechwood junior Krissie Brandenburg is the favorite in the 100-yard backstroke, and Highlands senior Hannah Gadd is the favorite in the diving competition.

Both have an opportunity to accomplish something special.

For Gadd, the meet is a chance to cap a tremendous high school career with the one thing it's missing: a state title. Gadd has qualified for state seven times, dating to her sixth-grade season of 2003. She's placed in the top six each time, including three straight second-place finishes, and enters this meet with a seed score of 464.75, nearly 10 points higher than the nearest competitor's.

Still, Gadd said she doesn't feel pressure heading into the meet.

"I'm going to go out and have fun," she said. "This is the last time I'm going to get to do this. I want to enjoy it."

Brandenburg has a chance to win her first state title as well. Her seed time of 56.39 already is good enough for All-American status. It's also two-tenths of a second off the state record set by three-time state swimmer of the year Emile Ewing of Madisonville North Hopkins in 2004.

Beechwood coach Amanda Johnson said the state title is within reach. Anything above and beyond that would be a bonus.

"She really does have a great chance. With the time she swam at regionals, she really set herself up great for state," Johnson said. "She broke her old regional record by a second. She's really fired up about it. She keeps dropping time. I think she'll be ready. "

Brandenburg also is seeded third in the 100 freestyle.

The Tigers also should be well represented in the boys' meet. Beechwood junior Shane Coltharp is seeded second in the 500 freestyle and third in the 200 individual medley.

Others local entries seeded among the top three are: Mary Bank, Ryle, 50 freestyle; Zane Rowland, CovCath, 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle; Ellen Williamson, Notre Dame, 100 butterfly, 100 backstroke; Michael Miller, Beechwood, 100 butterfly; Audrey Lawson, Notre Dame, 500 freestyle; Nick Kunkel, CovCath, 100 backstroke; CovCath, boys' 400 freestyle relay; Notre Dame, girls' 200 medley relay; Beechwood, boys' 200 medley relay; Meredith Brownell, Ryle, diving; Beechwood, boys' 400 freestyle relay.

With a strong showing in both the boys' and girls' competitions, Beechwood again could contend for the combined title, which is not recognized by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Last year the Tigers were third.