Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Johnson Central star Shawn Grimm on 20/20 with Diane Sawyer
DevilsWin Wrote:Too many opportunities for failure that close to home. Going to Pikeville was a bad decision unless that was his only offer.

Well supposedly he was offered many more places, even families allowing him to live in their homes, so we'll see if he takes up one of those offers.
I hope he can get things together, get back in school and back on the field.

If he has the chance and fails to take advantage of it, it seems like he will have another shot by reading the post on here.
sc06cheer Wrote:Well supposedly he was offered many more places, even families allowing him to live in their homes, so we'll see if he takes up one of those offers.
Union College is supposed to be where he goes, so I hear. I hope he goes somewhere.
DevilsWin Wrote:You're the kind to just sweep all the dirt under the rug huh?
SAY WHAAAAT?:moon:
Please read this column and then read my thoughts after.

Louisville Courier-Journal
By: David Hawpe
Don't check the box score for the right values
February 18, 2009

Meanwhile, all of us might spend some time reflecting on the myths by which we live in America, including the silly notion that, as former UCLA football coach Red Sanders often said, and pro football icon Vince Lombardi often repeated, "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."

I'm a fan, too. I eagerly consumed yesterday's excellent Page One story in the Lexington Herald-Leader about the home-grown basketball team from Elliott County High School (total student body, 320), which currently is 24-2 and No. 2 in the C-J Litkenhous ratings. The Lions from ECHS could be the next Indians from Milan High School (enrollment, 121), who won the 1954 Hoosier prep championship and provided the inspiration for the movie "Hoosiers," which I loved.

But I was deeply disappointed to see Elliott County coach Rick Mays insist, "A lot of people not athletic-minded won't like what I say, but in my lifetime there hasn't been anything bigger happen in this community than this right here."

Senior guard Ethan Faulkner said much the same thing: "This community has never had a team come through here like this. … This is what they've been waiting on, and they're living the dream with us."

Certainly, the big news is not in the classrooms at Elliott County High School, where the combined 2007-08 overall accountability index score was just under 70, a full 12 points below the statewide average of 82. ECHS started with a baseline score 10 points lower than the statewide average in 2000, so the latest scores show the gap is widening.

The Elliott County system is officially "progressing," but to meet its state-mandated goal, ECHS would have to gain five points on the accountability index each year for the next six years. That's going to be tougher than winning the state tournament.

During halftime at the next game, ECHS fans, instead of marveling at the Lions' box score, might contemplate the Elliott County numbers in the latest Kids Count report:

Local school revenue per pupil, $1,193, when the state average is $3,340; some 71 percent of students entering college with academic needs, contrasted against 46 percent statewide; six-year college graduation rate 35 percent, or 11 percentage points below the state average; 40 percent of the county's children in poverty, contrasted against a statewide average of 23 percent; 71 percent eligible for free or reduced-price school lunch, as opposed to 53 percent statewide; births to mothers who are not high school graduates, nine percentage points above the state average.

I hope the Faulkner twins, the Knipp brothers, Jonathan Ferguson and the rest of the boys haul the Sweet 16 trophy back to Sandy Hook. But if they do, I hope nobody thinks it will be enough for the good folks of Elliott County to sit and stare at the trophy for the next two or three decades.

David Hawpe's column appears Wednesdays

I have seen a million times. A kid or team from a rural area, that is run-down, and some say poverty ridden, no matter what they do, its not enough. No one can let the kids benifit from the possitive affects that a succesful season or championship season all in all a "special" team that only comes along once in a life time.

These kids know what is going on in their Counties and in their communities. Why can't people just let them enjoy the run that they are having. Articles like this and some of the post I have read on this thread are just awful. Let these kids enjoy the run that they are having. Some seem to forget the possitive out come that can come from something like this. Its just not fair. Let the kids enjoy what they are doing. Don't try to knock the chair out from under them just because of where they come from. Thats all I have to say.
jetpilot Wrote:You think wrong. Pikeville pride has nothing to do with it. I read what you said and it will never make any sense no matter how many times I read it.
If he had offers other than Pikeville, because of his situation, he should have chosen the offer outside of Pikeville.

Hence, staying in Pikeville with all the bad influences he has grown up with would make for a bad decision.
Hopefully Things Go Well For Shawn
Just saw an update on this last night on 20/20 and Shawn has been given a full ride to Union College where he will be attending.
I really hope that he takes advantage of this. Most people don't get a second chance, he had the same stuff at Pikeville from what I understand, so hopefully Union is enough difference from Pikeville that he'll stay.

I hope he understands that what he's getting is a once in a lifetime chance, and that there are many many other people that would give anything to take his spot and go to college like this, so I hope he remembers that while he's there and tries to do his best.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I did not say one bad thing about Shawn, only stated the truth. I live next to someone when I'm at home that has 11 people for a 3 bedroom house. I know how bad these people live and what they go through, don't act like im characterizing Shawn, I know the entire situation. Like I said though, I know Shawn at least has his head on straight because he came to college, and with the right push, I think he'd go back.

Back off with your comments, I'm sure what I said was not the worse things ever said on this site like you stated.

Living across the hall and next to does not give you the right to pretend that you know what their life is like. You know the entire situation... REALLY!! Have you ever slept in a truck, lived with a drunk, had to live in a place where your medication had to be locked in a safe????? You have NO idea what his life is like. You know what you saw in the 8 weeks he lived across the hall from you! Yea, I think you just don't like the guy!
Good Luck Shawn
nittanylion Wrote:Living across the hall and next to does not give you the right to pretend that you know what their life is like. You know the entire situation... REALLY!! Have you ever slept in a truck, lived with a drunk, had to live in a place where your medication had to be locked in a safe????? You have NO idea what his life is like. You know what you saw in the 8 weeks he lived across the hall from you! Yea, I think you just don't like the guy!

I have stated a few times I thought he was a good guy just didn't seem like he had the drive to be in college.

But I guess I don't know what it's like. I grew up in the slums of Columbus Ohio, my dad who I haven't seen in 17 years is a drug dealer, my mother was chased up to our apartment when I was 2 with a gun because someone knew she had just got food from the store and were going to rob her. My parents currently live next to a family who houses 10 people in a 3 bedroom house, don't tell me I don't know what that life is like.
tradition Wrote:Just saw an update on this last night on 20/20 and Shawn has been given a full ride to Union College where he will be attending.

I thought my sources knew what they were talking about.

4:16am yesterday
TheRealVille Wrote:Union College is supposed to be where he goes, so I hear. I hope he goes somewhere.
I was so glad to hear this last night...I wish him nothing but the best and hope he kicks some major BUTT, lol. I wonder how you would go about finding out how to help him with some stuff if you wanted to, just to see if there is anything he might need.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I have stated a few times I thought he was a good guy just didn't seem like he had the drive to be in college.

But I guess I don't know what it's like. I grew up in the slums of Columbus Ohio, my dad who I haven't seen in 17 years is a drug dealer, my mother was chased up to our apartment when I was 2 with a gun because someone knew she had just got food from the store and were going to rob her. My parents currently live next to a family who houses 10 people in a 3 bedroom house, don't tell me I don't know what that life is like.

If you're gonna sell it, get it right. Is it 10 people or 11 people??

Response not necessary....I won't discuss this with you again!!!!
BlackBearDenMother Wrote:I was so glad to hear this last night...I wish him nothing but the best and hope he kicks some major BUTT, lol. I wonder how you would go about finding out how to help him with some stuff if you wanted to, just to see if there is anything he might need.
How come no one is concerned about the other people on 20 20. Do you think only a football player needs help? He is now a grown man . awhat about the young girl, doesn't anybody want to help her? Maybe if she played ball?
the old WASP Wrote:How come no one is concerned about the other people on 20 20. Do you think only a football player needs help? He is now a grown man . awhat about the young girl, doesn't anybody want to help her? Maybe if she played ball?

Well for one thing, the followup 20/20 that aired last night told of how all the kids featured in the story have gotten some help in one form or another. I asked about Shawn specifically because I have a teenage son myself and have several clothing items that are practically brand new and figured I might as well see if he needed or wanted them before letting them lie around here or try to sell them in a yardsale. Also, I know where Union College is...I have no idea where those little girls are located. Sorry if I offended you old WASP. :igiveup:
tradition Wrote:Just saw an update on this last night on 20/20 and Shawn has been given a full ride to Union College where he will be attending.
That's awesome. I hope he takes the time to soak in how lucky he is now and that he takes it all in and achieves everything he wants. There are no excuses from here on out .The ball is in his court. Good luck you gun.
Any updates?

One of wife's friends was "dating" him at Union College but I didn't ask her if he stayed, I just knew he was there.

Did he stay this time?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^
He wasnt on the roster last year, and i havent heard anything or seen anything in the papers about him.
We get pretty good Union sports news here in Corbin.
Union and Cumberland are always covered pretty well in the local paper.

But from what ive heard, he might still be going to school there but he does not play football.
Best of luck to the young man. Only saw him once (against Cov Cath) and he was one of the best high school backs I have seen.
Football doesn't matter all the matters is that the boy is tryin to do something with his life. Hell college doesn't event matter as long as he can earn a living a break the grip of poverty.

As for the negativity about EKY posted earlier in the thread. I would put Paintsville's average ACT score against ANY public school in the United States. Same with pikeville.
^What is he doing with his life?

I do not mean that negatively, I am asking. Nobody knows what he is doing, if they do, they have not posted about it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:^What is he doing with his life?

I do not mean that negatively, I am asking. Nobody knows what he is doing, if they do, they have not posted about it.

I have no idea I just hope he is doing something to get out of poverty. Like I said it doesnt even matter if he went to college as long as he has a decent job.
I have wonder what become of this young man>
I really hope he has found something that has helped him be as good in life as he was/is in football.