Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beechwoods Brandenburg hauls in 2 state titles
LOUISVILLE - When the former and current state-record holders jumped into the pool Saturday for the finals of the girls' 100-yard backstroke, it was more than a race for a Kentucky state championship. It also was a statement about what's to come from two of Northern Kentucky's most accomplished swimmers.

Notre Dame Academy sophomore Ellen Williamson set a state record in the 100 backstroke during the first heat of Friday's prelims. The very next heat, Beechwood junior Krissie Brandenburg broke Williamson's record, setting up a dramatic finale Saturday.

Brandenburg won again Saturday at Ralph Wright Natatorium, lowering her record one-hundredth of a second to 55.30, .08 faster than Williamson. It was the third state record of the day for Brandenburg, the meet's Outstanding Competitor, who also set state records in the 100 freestyle (50.26) and 50 freestyle (23.37).

"I'm finished!" Brandenburg said, emerging from the pool after the 100 backstroke. "Until next year. It feels great, but if the race was 15 meters longer, (Williamson) would have beat me."

Williamson is known as a "closer," a swimmer who might not look like the winner at the race's start but who finishes strong. She made up more than a half-second on Brandenburg during the final 25 meters of the 100 back, falling just short of her second title.

Earlier, Williamson set a state record in winning the 100-yard butterfly in 54.98.

"I knew I had to get out fast in that race," Williamson said, "because that's my problem. I can bring it home. By the time I got to the last wall, I looked at the wall and saw I was out in front."

Williamson's performance helped Notre Dame to a third-place overall finish, right in line with what coach Emily Maier predicted for Notre Dame, which had just eight swimmers and divers at the meet.

Brandenburg set her 50-yard freestyle record leading off the 200-yard freestyle relay. She and Williamson both earned first-team all-state honors, along with four other competitors from Northern Kentucky, which occupied six of the 16 first-team spots.

Diver Hannah Gadd of Highlands won the 1-meter springboard competition. With 436.35 points, Gadd nudged out Lindsey Stephens of Louisville Male for the title after Stephens' final dive left her 1.65 points behind Gadd, who was immediately mobbed by fans and coaches with hugs. A senior, Gadd had finished second three consecutive seasons before Saturday.

"I was really, really nervous before my final dive," Gadd said, "because I knew Lindsey's last dive was a greater degree of difficulty. But it felt really good to finally win."

Ryle's Mary Bank finished second in the 50-yard freestyle and made the first team. Caitlyn Forman and Audrey Lawson both swam on Notre Dame's school-record-breaking 200-yard medley relay team, along with Williamson, finishing third and earning first-team recognition. Lawson also finished second in the 500-yard freestyle.

But after Brandenburg and Williamson began the day by breaking records in the 100 freestyle and butterfly, the drama built for their showdown in the 100 backstroke race, where it seemed likely that another record would fall. Training partners with the Northern Kentucky Clippers club, Brandenburg and Williamson weren't exactly hostile foes.

"I was happy when she broke the 100 fly record, and she was happy when I broke the 100 free record," Brandenburg said. "But before the backstroke, I was not confident at all because I knew she was going for the record, too."

At least until next season, Brandenburg is the state champion and record holder in the 100 backstroke, and she'll have some bragging rights in the training pool. She also has a pretty good idea, however, of whom she'll have to beat in order to repeat in 2010.

"Three state records in a day as a junior is unheard of," Beechwood coach Amanda Johnson said. "She was really on fire today. I guess next year, she'll have to break three more."
cincinnati.com