Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No. 1 Trinity wins title in Region 4
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...50508/1031

It was a family affair in more ways than one as Trinity won the Region Four wrestling meet title yesterday at Hoops.

"It's the Trinity family," Shamrocks coach Richard Brown said. "Sharing blood, sweat and tears in the wrestling room -- that builds a very strong bond."

Top-ranked Trinity put 12 wrestlers in the finals, including brothers Brad and Brent Hitchings. Both won regional titles, helping the Shamrocks to the team title with 277 points. No. 12 St. Xavier finished second at 246.50, with No. 11 Seneca third at 196.50.

"We had a great team effort in a solid region," Brown said.

Next week is the State Meet, where the top four wrestlers in each weight class will compete in Frankfort.

Brad Hitchings, a junior ranked No. 1 in the state in the 171-pound weight class, lived up to his ranking in the final match against David George of St. Xavier. Hitchings won with a pin at 1:21.

"I like it," he said of the ranking that made him the wrestler to beat in 171. "I wrestle hard and don't worry what people think."

The runner-up at State last year, Hitchings came into the match with a simple plan.

"I just go out there and win -- I just stay with my moves," he said.

Little brother Brad didn't have the specter of high expectations in the 119-pound weight class. A freshman, Brad was wrestling up two weight classes and trailing St. Xavier's Byron Hoskinson for much of the match. A reverse move in the final seconds gave the younger Hitchings a 5-4 win and the regional title.

"I was trying to escape and get one (point) to take the match into overtime," he said. "When I came out on top, I realized I was up one. It was definitely intense."

Other big efforts for Trinity included No. 1-ranked John Fahy in the 103-pound class, where he scored a 13-0 decision over Kary Goff of Seneca. In 112, No.-1 ranked Myron Bradbury scored a pin in :56 over Seneca's Felix Casa Del Valle. Heavyweight Jordon Whiting scored a pin in 1:27 over St. Xavier's Josh Jordon.

Overall, the Shamrocks notched seven individual titles and five runner-ups and will send 13 wrestlers to the State Meet. St. Xavier will also send 13..........