Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Official Sues Over Son's Injury
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs....103/902180374/

Just curious what others think about this. The mother of "injured" child is on the school board and the father is on the football coaching staff.
page couldn't be found...
TATE_64 Wrote:page couldn't be found...

ditto
Changed my post, read the second article...haha
nittanylion Wrote:http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...902180374/

I'd be curious to know your take. I am a neighbor, thus I am extremely familiar with the situation that happened, the conversations that were held subsequently, and where the case stands today.

This article fails in many cases to tell the complete story, a story that needs to go to trial and not be settled. Exposure and clean up to policies would be a great outcome.

The Family has to other children that go to Campbell Co. High School, thus the chatter that makes this seem so agregious about the son going to another school is not valid.

The outcry from a select few about the Mother resigning is rediculous. This situation has been well known ever since it happened in the fall of 2007. Yet, she won a landslide re-election, primarily due to the sentiment of the way this current situation was handled

Many are also saying why wait till now? 1. Most cases take an extrordinay amount of time to develop before they can be filed. 2. The District would do nothing in support of what happened, including a full blown investigate.

Just to make one correction, the father has voluntarily resigned from the Football team.

I for one hope that the family does not back off and proceeds to the conclusion.
Another news article link.....

http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/Rep...kin-custom
Well I retract my last post.....,What kind of full contact drills were they doing????? The coaches should have got some medical attention to him if they knew he was hurt...
TATE_64 Wrote:People are always looking for a reason to get free money....:booo: When you play sports you know stuff like this can happen....

Easy to look at it that way, but when you ee the case unfold, I promise that you will rethink your statement.

Let your child go into shock due to a shattered elbow that exploded into 15 pieces, and the coaches reaction was to move the young man to the sideline, continue to practice while the other players on the team were devastated. The coach took the action of trying to call the parents, which they could not reach. He continued practice until :45 minutes later until the mother could be reached. By the time she arrived the young man was in shock, and she had to drive him to the Hospital.

If you have a student athlete, and you sign away that medical release form, don't you expect it to be used for an exact purpose like this?
TATE_64 Wrote:Well I retract my last post.....,What kind of full contact drills were they doing????? The coaches should have got some medical attention to him if they knew he was hurt...

Sorry, about the previous post, it was not meant to be directed AT you, but to ALL that will read this.

It's not the drill that is the issue, it's the care that was not done.
Stardust Wrote:Easy to look at it that way, but when you ee the case unfold, I promise that you will rethink your statement.

Let your child go into shock due to a shattered elbow that exploded into 15 pieces, and the coaches reaction was to move the young man to the sideline, continue to practice while the other players on the team were devastated. The coach took the action of trying to call the parents, which they could not reach. He continued practice until :45 minutes later until the mother could be reached. By the time she arrived the young man was in shock, and she had to drive him to the Hospital.

If you have a student athlete, and you sign away that medical release form, don't you expect it to be used for an exact purpose like this?

I changed my post, I read the second one, and just skimmed over the first one....:Thumbs:
Yea, they should have gotten him to the ER, thats just crazy making him sit over there like that waiting on the parents to be contacted.......
TATE_64 Wrote:Well I retract my last post.....,What kind of full contact drills were they doing????? The coaches should have got some medical attention to him if they knew he was hurt...

First off, I know where you are coming from. We all should agree that if you play sports, you WILL get hurt. That's part of it and if parents don't want their child to be hurt, don't let them play.

But when we do allow our children to participate, we do expect a certain level of responsibility of the coaches and the school.

Again, if this case goes to trial, it will be clear that the process for care was improperly administered.
Glad to hear the dad resigned. I think the mom should be removed from the board. It's clearly a conflict of interest.

The injury occured on January 25, 2007, not in the fall of 2007. The suit was filed on January 30, 2009. Two years after the incident.

I feel bad for the kid, but how can you claim permanent injury while he continues to play sports?
nittanylion Wrote:Glad to hear the dad resigned. I think the mom should be removed from the board. It's clearly a conflict of interest.

The injury occured on January 25, 2007, not in the fall of 2007. The suit was filed on January 30, 2009. Two years after the incident.

I feel bad for the kid, but how can you claim permanent injury while he continues to play sports?

I'm not sure how close you are to the situation, but if you are basing your facts off of a Newspaper article, then you would already know that the first falacy is the date: January 25 2007 would have been during the Student's 8th grade year, where he was playing Middle School Basketball, which Coach Maddy was no longer a part of.

As to the dispostion of the Mother and her position, I would ask why she should have to leave her job? Why would this be any different than someone filing a greivance with their employer.

As for the claim, you and I know that Lawyers make the claims, but this is not a claim about the student athlete, but the care give to the student athlete.
Hard to comment meaningfully since all of the facts are not known. You would have to know the exact details to make a properly informed response. BUT I will make these observations:

(1) Coaches sound as if they blew the medical care issue and this is inexcusable and should be pursued until something is done.

(2) How can an individual sit on the board of a district that they have a lawsuit against? This would seem very awkward even though I know she thinks it may be for the betterment of the system. It would be like me suing a bank but being on their board of directors. Right or wrong, it just would be a very uncomfortable situation I would think. Even more so if the student in question now attends another school. I think I recall reading that he now goes to Beechwood? If so, why would his mother want to remain on the board?

(3) I know the lawyers put the legal language in the Complaints, but if the mother is after blood so to speak and seeks punitive damages and so forth, then this would seem to make the board issue even more of a conflict.

Anyway, I don't blame her, but can't say I'd want to still be on the board if I were her. That is her decision though and as long as the residents want to reelect her then that is their right.

Good luck to all in this matter!
EKY Sportster Wrote:Hard to comment meaningfully since all of the facts are not known. You would have to know the exact details to make a properly informed response. BUT I will make these observations:

(1) Coaches sound as if they blew the medical care issue and this is inexcusable and should be pursued until something is done.

(2) How can an individual sit on the board of a district that they have a lawsuit against? This would seem very awkward even though I know she thinks it may be for the betterment of the system. It would be like me suing a bank but being on their board of directors. Right or wrong, it just would be a very uncomfortable situation I would think. Even more so if the student in question now attends another school. I think I recall reading that he now goes to Beechwood? If so, why would his mother want to remain on the board?

(3) I know the lawyers put the legal language in the Complaints, but if the mother is after blood so to speak and seeks punitive damages and so forth, then this would seem to make the board issue even more of a conflict.

Anyway, I don't blame her, but can't say I'd want to still be on the board if I were her. That is her decision though and as long as the residents want to reelect her then that is their right.

Good luck to all in this matter!

I agree with most of your comments. I know that the mother still has two more children that go to Campbell County, so even though her son is at a different school, she still has an interest with the current school.

I do get your point though. I know another poster made the comment that it would be no different than filing a grievance with your current employer, but it is typically a bottom up complaint. You don't see too many complaints happening at the top.

I know the coaches for most of the teams at Campbell County, and they do have the kids interests at heart. I wouldn't say that Coach Maddy made a mistake, but he probably should have handled it differently. I think he and the school has learned a very valuable lesson out of all of this, but I wish it had not come at the cost of a lawsuit.

Lawsuits become very ugly. Why would the family wish to pursue this while Mrs. Fangman is still on the board as well as them having children still at the school? I'm not sure what the Statute of Limitations are on this, but it seems like I would have either pused for a quiet settlement, or waited until the kids graduated. Just my opinion.
CCHS90 Wrote:I agree with most of your comments. I know that the mother still has two more children that go to Campbell County, so even though her son is at a different school, she still has an interest with the current school.

I do get your point though. I know another poster made the comment that it would be no different than filing a grievance with your current employer, but it is typically a bottom up complaint. You don't see too many complaints happening at the top.

I know the coaches for most of the teams at Campbell County, and they do have the kids interests at heart. I wouldn't say that Coach Maddy made a mistake, but he probably should have handled it differently. I think he and the school has learned a very valuable lesson out of all of this, but I wish it had not come at the cost of a lawsuit.

Lawsuits become very ugly. Why would the family wish to pursue this while Mrs. Fangman is still on the board as well as them having children still at the school? I'm not sure what the Statute of Limitations are on this, but it seems like I would have either pused for a quiet settlement, or waited until the kids graduated. Just my opinion.

It certainly was a consideration. Time was not going to be right no matter when it was filed, but they did need to consider doing it within a reasonable time of when the incident occurred.
Stardust Wrote:I'm not sure how close you are to the situation, but if you are basing your facts off of a Newspaper article, then you would already know that the first falacy is the date: January 25 2007 would have been during the Student's 8th grade year, where he was playing Middle School Basketball, which Coach Maddy was no longer a part of.

As to the dispostion of the Mother and her position, I would ask why she should have to leave her job? Why would this be any different than someone filing a greivance with their employer.

As for the claim, you and I know that Lawyers make the claims, but this is not a claim about the student athlete, but the care give to the student athlete.
So was it January 25 2007 or the fall of 2007 (I'm just going from the newspaper article)? It's not uncommom for 8th graders to play on the freshman team.

I don't believe Mrs. Fangman can make sound and honest board decisions, especially those dealing with finances, while she herself is seeking $ from the district. How is that not a conflict?

The lawyers may make the claim, but the Fangman's have to agree to it. While it is about the care the kid received, how can you claim permanent injury while he continues to play sports? Is playing sports contributing to the injury and the healing process? Would the injury not be permanent if he had been taken to a hospital 45 minutes earlier? I'm sure he suffered emotional injuries as well, but is that a result of the coaches' actions?

I don't see how the coaches were negligent. They're coaches, how were they to know the elbow was shattered? They did what any other coach would do. They tried to contact the parents, are the parents negligent for not providing a phone number where they could be reached? Don't read that the wrong way. I'm not blaming the parents because they could not be reached. I just think a lawsuit is a little too much. Anyone involved in sports goes in knowing things like this can happen. My son broke his leg during football practice. Fortunately his injury was not as severe as this, but I never even considered blaming anyone, much less suing.
nittanylion Wrote:So was it January 25 2007 or the fall of 2007 (I'm just going from the newspaper article)? It's not uncommom for 8th graders to play on the freshman team.

I don't believe Mrs. Fangman can make sound and honest board decisions, especially those dealing with finances, while she herself is seeking $ from the district. How is that not a conflict?

The lawyers may make the claim, but the Fangman's have to agree to it. While it is about the care the kid received, how can you claim permanent injury while he continues to play sports? Is playing sports contributing to the injury and the healing process? Would the injury not be permanent if he had been taken to a hospital 45 minutes earlier? I'm sure he suffered emotional injuries as well, but is that a result of the coaches' actions?

I don't see how the coaches were negligent. They're coaches, how were they to know the elbow was shattered? They did what any other coach would do. They tried to contact the parents, are the parents negligent for not providing a phone number where they could be reached? Don't read that the wrong way. I'm not blaming the parents because they could not be reached. I just think a lawsuit is a little too much. Anyone involved in sports goes in knowing things like this can happen. My son broke his leg during football practice. Fortunately his injury was not as severe as this, but I never even considered blaming anyone, much less suing.

Again, you are basing your opinion on a newspaper report, and I don't blame you for that.

As for the injury, it happened during the student's Freshman season of Basketball (Fall 07).

If your son broke his leg, and was on the verge of shock, would you have recognized it? If so, if you were not there, do you think a coach would have recognized it? If a coach recognized that a person (athlete or not) was on the verge of Shock, would you have expected them to wait :45 minutes on you to get there or would you have expected them to take action? I don't understand the logic.

C'mon, be real here. If a player decides to play sports, he and the parents should expect that injuries happen. But when you sign that Medical Release form, which you HAVE to do, you expect that a coach/administrator/trainer would take the same care with your child that you would.

Once that child went to the Hospital, would you have at least expected to hear from the Coach? Oh, the head Coach of the Varsity called the next day to check on the player, but would you have expected to hear from the Freshman coach at least the next day? At least in the next week? Or wait till the student comes back to school two weeks later then go up and ask him how he's doing?
Stardust Wrote:Again, you are basing your opinion on a newspaper report, and I don't blame you for that.

As for the injury, it happened during the student's Freshman season of Basketball (Fall 07).

If your son broke his leg, and was on the verge of shock, would you have recognized it? If so, if you were not there, do you think a coach would have recognized it? If a coach recognized that a person (athlete or not) was on the verge of Shock, would you have expected them to wait :45 minutes on you to get there or would you have expected them to take action? I don't understand the logic.

C'mon, be real here. If a player decides to play sports, he and the parents should expect that injuries happen. But when you sign that Medical Release form, which you HAVE to do, you expect that a coach/administrator/trainer would take the same care with your child that you would.

Once that child went to the Hospital, would you have at least expected to hear from the Coach? Oh, the head Coach of the Varsity called the next day to check on the player, but would you have expected to hear from the Freshman coach at least the next day? At least in the next week? Or wait till the student comes back to school two weeks later then go up and ask him how he's doing?

I am not as close to the situation as you, but I have heard much of the same points that you are making. However, I tend to side with others that it seems to be a big conflict of interest to be taking to court the same team that you must rely on to trust your judgement and opinion. The other board members are not going to leave, and not say she should, but it will be a challenging time for all to work together.

I'm not sure how the community will respond, but right now my guess is not many are taking action to ensure that the needs of the system are not affected by the personal actions taking place.

As to you points about the care of my children. I have rather young children and if the care of my children was less than what was given in this situation, I would be taking the offenders to court as well. It's a wake-up call to coaches who are paid, that it's not just about the X's & O's, it also includes the care, nurturing and development of the young people that they are entrusted with. The coaches are not into if for the pay, but because of that pay, they are expected to be held accountable. Which makes me wonder, should this lawsuit be against the School or the Coach?
I'm basing the date of injury and the lawsuit allegations on the information in a newspaper article. My opinion is based on my personal beliefs and information from 2 sets of parents whose kids were there. You, yourself, stated that the coaches tried to reach the parents and the parents couldn't be reached. I've been in that situation myself, been in a meeting at work and come back to my office to have a message from the school nurse. It happens.

I was at practice when my son broke his leg. On a different field, but close. I knew immediately that it was something bad. But I'm the parent. I've learned his reaction. I don't know that I would expect a coach to recognize a person going into shock. It probably doesn't happen often. If this happened in the fall, the season was just starting and the coaches probably didn't know how bad it was from the kid's reaction.

The medical release form is just part of the registration paperwork. I don't expect anyone to take the same care with my child as I do. I would expect a trainer to have a better knowledge of injuries and reactions to those injuries, but not necessarily a coach. How much training are they required to have?

Yes, I would expect a call from the coach. My situation was different, we were lucky. We had to turn our phones off at the hospital because several coaches and the director were calling. I never said Sean Maddy was a nice guy, but you can't sue someone for being a jerk.

This is just my opinion. The legal system can sort it all out. I wish the kid the best of luck in his recovery. I still believe its a conflict having the mom on the board during the lawsuit.
nittanylion Wrote:I'm basing the date of injury and the lawsuit allegations on the information in a newspaper article. My opinion is based on my personal beliefs and information from 2 sets of parents whose kids were there. You, yourself, stated that the coaches tried to reach the parents and the parents couldn't be reached. I've been in that situation myself, been in a meeting at work and come back to my office to have a message from the school nurse. It happens.

I was at practice when my son broke his leg. On a different field, but close. I knew immediately that it was something bad. But I'm the parent. I've learned his reaction. I don't know that I would expect a coach to recognize a person going into shock. It probably doesn't happen often. If this happened in the fall, the season was just starting and the coaches probably didn't know how bad it was from the kid's reaction.

The medical release form is just part of the registration paperwork. I don't expect anyone to take the same care with my child as I do. I would expect a trainer to have a better knowledge of injuries and reactions to those injuries, but not necessarily a coach. How much training are they required to have?

Yes, I would expect a call from the coach. My situation was different, we were lucky. We had to turn our phones off at the hospital because several coaches and the director were calling. I never said Sean Maddy was a nice guy, but you can't sue someone for being a jerk.

This is just my opinion. The legal system can sort it all out. I wish the kid the best of luck in his recovery. I still believe its a conflict having the mom on the board during the lawsuit.

I'm just saying the Kid was in Shock. It doesn't take a medical expert to recognize that. If any of us left our children in the care of someone else, and that child was on the verge of Shock when we gave the caregiver the responsibility to take medical action, and they didn' we would all be doing the same thing.
Stardust Wrote:I'd be curious to know your take. I am a neighbor, thus I am extremely familiar with the situation that happened, the conversations that were held subsequently, and where the case stands today.

This article fails in many cases to tell the complete story, a story that needs to go to trial and not be settled. Exposure and clean up to policies would be a great outcome.

The Family has to other children that go to Campbell Co. High School, thus the chatter that makes this seem so agregious about the son going to another school is not valid.

The outcry from a select few about the Mother resigning is rediculous. This situation has been well known ever since it happened in the fall of 2007. Yet, she won a landslide re-election, primarily due to the sentiment of the way this current situation was handled

Many are also saying why wait till now? 1. Most cases take an extrordinay amount of time to develop before they can be filed. 2. The District would do nothing in support of what happened, including a full blown investigate.

Just to make one correction, the father has voluntarily resigned from the Football team.

I for one hope that the family does not back off and proceeds to the conclusion.

Sounds like your pretty set on to blaim the coach. But if, Im understanding this right your a neighbor of the woman on the board?
Notorious Wrote:Sounds like your pretty set on to blaim the coach. But if, Im understanding this right your a neighbor of the woman on the board?

I am a neighbor, but if your interpretation of that is that I am not looking at it objectively, you are wrong. As mentioned, before, a trial will be the best proof, so we can wait till then and you can see for yourself if it is my opinion or fact.
Of course a trial will be the best proof. But obviously your not going to state on whether you were biased on an object or not.
Notorious Wrote:Of course a trial will be the best proof. But obviously your not going to state on whether you were biased on an object or not.

I get your point, and as I said, if my comments were purely opinion I would state it as such. Biased, not of the parents involved, but the situation as is. There was a failure, whether it was to this family or someone else's family, whether it was this coach or another coach. This was agregious, and not just my opinion.