Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got one fine coach
Everyone of you all who constantly blame Billy Q for every loss apparently have little clue to the game of basketball.

Yes it's his job to get these players ready, it's his job to practice and set the lineups and substitute.

BUT after the game starts and the players hit the court he can only coach from the sidelines. He can coach and demand plays be ran and defenses be ran but it is up to the PLAYERS to execute. If they can not execute it is not any of the coaches fault. It is up to the players to execute, to switch men and ball screens, it's up to the players to box out and hit free-throws. I don't know where you all think it's up to Billy to control everything. You have unrealistic expectations for this team to begin with because they were never that good anyway.

Yes they should have beat Georgia but you have to look at this:

* Georgia shot lights out, Billy switched up trying to find a good matchup but sometimes a team is just better.

* Meeks was off tonight and forced a lot of shots towards the end.

* Porter took an illadvised 3 in the corner. An easy pump fake and drive to the basket would have worked as well.

* Turnovers are the story once again.

* Scoring droughts for UK always come back to hurt.

Billy can only control so many aspects of the game, while the players have to be accountable for the rest. But the thing is the players are never to blame.

The saying goes the players always get the credit for a win and the coach is always to blame for the loss.

You all need to come back down to earth from your expectations for this team and quit using Billy G for a scapegoat on UK basketball for now. He has brought in a lot of talent to UK and once Porter and Harris are gone this team will be in a better shape.
pburgcatfan65 Wrote:Good point but i mean everyone dont have to make it public..how do you think the players and coaches feel when they get on here or anywhere else and read all this stuff.

Truth Hurts
Man, I wish we could of got Tom Izzo
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Everyone of you all who constantly blame Billy Q for every loss apparently have little clue to the game of basketball.

Yes it's his job to get these players ready, it's his job to practice and set the lineups and substitute.
[COLOR="Red"]
BUT after the game starts and the players hit the court he can only coach from the sidelines[/COLOR]. He can coach and demand plays be ran and defenses be ran but it is up to the PLAYERS to execute. If they can not execute it is not any of the coaches fault. It is up to the players to execute, to switch men and ball screens, it's up to the players to box out and hit free-throws. I don't know where you all think it's up to Billy to control everything. You have unrealistic expectations for this team to begin with because they were never that good anyway.

* Georgia shot lights out, Billy switched up trying to find a good matchup but sometimes a team is just better.

* Porter took an illadvised 3 in the corner. An easy pump fake and drive to the basket would have worked as well.

Billy can only control so many aspects of the game, while the players have to be accountable for the rest. But the thing is the players are never to blame.

The saying goes the players always get the credit for a win and the coach is always to blame for the loss.

You all need to come back down to earth from your expectations for this team and quit using Billy G for a scapegoat on UK basketball for now. He has brought in a lot of talent to UK and once Porter and Harris are gone this team will be in a better shape.

Wow thats a good one you have to uncross the arms and wuit smiling or take the jacket off or say something to a player
gish_7 Wrote:Man, I wish we could of got Tom Izzo

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT, I like that
theVILLE Wrote:Wow thats a good one you have to uncross the arms and wuit smiling or take the jacket off or say something to a player

Well you must not much UK basketball then because he is constantly yelling at the players during the game...And last time I checked it was not mandatory to take off your jacket to have to be coaching. :please:
I can only imagine what Billy's blood alcohol level will be later tonight.
gish_7 Wrote:I can only imagine what Billy's blood alcohol level will be later tonight.

What's the LETHAL level?????? J/W lol
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Everyone of you all who constantly blame Billy Q for every loss apparently have little clue to the game of basketball.

BUT after the game starts and the players hit the court he can only coach from the sidelines. He can coach and demand plays be ran and defenses be ran but it is up to the PLAYERS to execute. If they can not execute it is not any of the coaches fault. It is up to the players to execute, to switch men and ball screens, it's up to the players to box out and hit free-throws. I don't know where you all think it's up to Billy to control everything. You have unrealistic expectations for this team to begin with because they were never that good anyway.

Our poor play is a result of poor coaching. It is coaches job to get his team fired up/motivated to play. I think coaches act is even wearing thin on the players, and their poor performances reflect that.

Also, since he brought in a lot talent like you speak of, then why doesn't he use them??
theVILLE Wrote:RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT, I like that

I second that.

I honestly think a pet monkey could do a better job than Coach G. At least a pet monkey wouldn't demoralize the players. The pet monkey wouldn't throw the players "under the bus", and humiliate an 18/19/20 year old in public. The pet monkey wouldn't blame his players at all, he would stand by them regardless. The pet monkey would just keep his mouth shut during interviews(a strategy BCG should consider implementing) And I am sure the pet monkeys substitution patterns would make much more sense then Coach G's.
One more thing, you will see at the end of the year just how much these players like/respect Coach G. I bet we have several players leave. The players simply don't know what this coach wants from them. A player plays good one game, and doesn't see the floor the next 3. The players have to play tight because they are afraid of being put on the bench, or getting humiliated in public if they make a mistake. I never see him encouraging the players. The wheels ready to fall completely off our program with this man at the wheel.

We are 3-8 in our last 11 games.
It is the players on the court you guys are right. But it takes the coach to change up the defenses and make adjustments. Georgia isn't the first team to just all of a sudden hit a hot streak against Kentucky.
As for the offense. How many screens do you see ran to get Meeks opened for a shot? How many offensive plays do you actually see ran. Gillispie is a great recruiter andt hat is all.
I've met him and sat down and talked with him one on one two times and met him with a group of ppl three other times. The guy is a jerk of all jerks and honestly I say the kids at UK does have a hard time respecting him.
Hopefully he can get it turned around before to long and I'm not saying can him, but I'm saying unless something changes its not looking good.
UkFan23 Wrote:We can't blame on the coach we just don't have the players right now that is all it is

yes. it is his fault. he gets the players there. in uk's case. he doesnt get the players there. i never thought he was a good coach. only reason he done good at A&M is cuz acie law packed them. that kid didnt need coachin. he won games himself. now that bcg has no one to pack him. he gets beat by 2-14 georgia.
I dont even watch or waste my Tevo space with UK Basketball anymore. The UK coach is one dimensional and very easy to prepare for. He is arrogant and not willing to admit his own ignorance. He accepts no constructive criticism and has the personality of a 2x4. Total meltdown................
Billy Gillispie is a joke! For the first time in my life I could care less whether I could watch UK play or not. Several years ago I'd probably miss a family members funeral just to watch UK play on Raycom, but now things have gotten so bad that I cannot stand to even watch them.

It's not the players because the talent is there. It's the coach whether most would like to face it or not. These players have no drive in them at all and it is because of Gillispie, because he never motivates the players to play better, he justs rips them and brings their confidence down. Also, for all the UK fans that say Gillispie can recruit, let me ask you this, how many McDonalds All-Americans, potential NBA players, basically just highly talented players that are worthy of sporting Kentucky across their chests has he landed, besides Patterson?

Gillispie is an embarrassment to the UK program because he insults reporters and loses to some of the worst teams to ever play the game of college basketball. Adolph Rupp would roll-over in his grave if he witnessed UK hoops these days.
Why do people blame Billy every lose? UK is not a very talented team. I am sorry..Yeah, Jodie Meeks but Imagine if they had a PG like Flynn. He'd get 30 a game....Give it time....If you hate it that bad root for Syracuse? lol....
Overrated Wrote:Why do people blame Billy every lose? UK is not a very talented team. I am sorry..Yeah, Jodie Meeks but Imagine if they had a PG like Flynn. He'd get 30 a game....Give it time....If you hate it that bad root for Syracuse? lol....

The man clearly cannot coach. His substitution patterns are very questionable, he is very rude with ESPN sideline-reporters, even journalist of big-time newspapers are beginning to call BCG out.

He is an embarrassment to the program.
Overrated Wrote:Why do people blame Billy every lose? UK is not a very talented team. I am sorry..Yeah, Jodie Meeks but Imagine if they had a PG like Flynn. He'd get 30 a game....Give it time....If you hate it that bad root for Syracuse? lol....

We don't hate UK, we hate the man destroying the program.

Why do we blame Billy? Because Billy starts players like Mark Coury an entire season with better players on the bench, remember last year? He still doing the same crap this year.

Billy plays more head games in the second half of the last home game, in a must win situation. Didn't you watch the game? He benched all the starters after we took a two point lead in the second half. We went down 10 and never caught back up. There is nothing rational about his decision making process. Nothing he does or says is ever rational.
"we just got whipped":HitWall:
[quote=gish_7]I can only imagine what Billy's blood alcohol level will be later tonight.[/QUOTE

For anyone who has seen this in person, would it be safe to say the over/under would be around 1.9......LOL

what good would a pg gettin 30 a game do if your losin? and im no expert but syracuse is in the same boat. they have 9-10 losses this season. im not sure. they went from the top 10 to out of the top 25. so it wouldnt be much different then cheerin for uk, cuz they both have lost a ton of games. :Thumbs:

maybe you should go with pittsburgh? maybe memphis. heck. might even go with villanova.
Firing BCG is not the answer this will just set UK back again let his first full class get in and UK will be fine.
FBALL Wrote:Georgia played a nearly perfect game. It happens. That is the best the Bulldogs have shot all year. from the field and from the free throw line.

I was on that same track of thinking that it was just all of these teams outplaying us and shooting lights out til i realized they're D-1 basketball players if they're left wide open they should hit all of those shots. As a coach he needs to gameplan and adjust when something isn't working.
Stardust Wrote:Cmon, LOL. I guess Georgia didn't do anything out there on the floor tonight. UK just gave it to them? It seems to me that it was Georgia shooting 75% from three point land. Cats have 14 blocked shots, completely dominating the paint, but I guess that all get's overlooked, because it's the Coach that lost the game? I will disagree. It's always so easy to blame the coach for a loss because the players were not ready, but when a team wins it's because a Player had a great game. Oh well, I hope all the BCG haters win, and he is booted out just like the UK fans got Tubby booted.

Tell me Stardust who's fault is it when a team is shooting so good from 3 point, but the coach will not change his defensive scheme. In football if a team is running it down your throat averaging 6-7 yards a carry whos fault is it if the coach will not put men in the box to stop the run? I like Billy G, heck i met him and he seems like a great person, but as a coach he will not change his scheme or make adjustments, and being stubborn as a coach will most often kill a teams chances of winning.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Tell me Stardust who's fault is it when a team is shooting so good from 3 point, but the coach will not change his defensive scheme. In football if a team is running it down your throat averaging 6-7 yards a carry whos fault is it if the coach will not put men in the box to stop the run? I like Billy G, heck i met him and he seems like a great person, but as a coach he will not change his scheme or make adjustments, and being stubborn as a coach will most often kill a teams chances of winning.

Well played.

There more than talented enough to beat Georgia. Georgia is the worst team in the SEC!
You people who are not blaming Gillispie are the retarded ones. This "oh Georgia shot so well and they played awesome" **** doesn't cut it. Do you think it's a coincidence that every **** team that comes into Rupp shoots lights out?

Here are 3 point stats from our Rupp Arena losses. Now tell me it's just a coincidence.

VMI- 14/31 45%
Miami- 8/19 42%
South Carolina- 7/20 35%
Mississippi State- 14/27 52%
LSU- 9/20 45%
Georgia- 11/16 69%

Those are just from our home losses. That is an average of 48% from behind the 3 point line. It's not just a coincidence that these teams shoot lights out against us. If you can't see that, then you make Ray Charles look like he has 20/20 vision.
This is ONLY MY OPINION. I think UK, if it can't get a big name, may want to look at Leonard Hamiliton. He has turned two football schools into NCAA tourney teams, and is pound for pound one of the best recruiters in the nation. He may play a style many don't like but it is getting results. FSU is very young this year with 2 McDonalds AAs ,one on the team, one coming in, (This year- Snaer and last year- Singleton). Just my 2 cents.
If Gillispie is still around after this year there is something wrong
I can still find a way to blame some of this on Tubby look at he players he's of tubbys still Carter, Stevenson, Porter, A.J stewart and did we forget to mention that naismith award canidate Harris the only player tubby has recruited that is on this team is Meeks and IMO him scoring the 54 while as fun to watch and amazing as it was ends up being one of the worst things to happen this season because of everybody focusing in on him i still want to see 1 more year of Gillispie next season if we have the same results then it will be time for him to go
I was one of the defenders of Billy Gillispie until recently. TorQQue and BCA are right. Gillispie has been an embarrassment to Kentucky's program and it has only gotten worse. He is one of the most stubborn coach's I have seen in the college game and you simply have to adjust at times, that's all there is to it.

In every loss Kentucky has suffered this season I have had multiple questions about his substitutions, his scattering of minutes between players, his inability to mix up the defense, and his behavior towards the media (as BCA mentioned).

I've also had questions about him off the court, such as the number of players that have left Kentucky since he has been here, his disciplining methods, and his alcohol consuming habits.

This season has been even more painful than last season to watch and I didn't think that was possible. I am done defending Gillispie and I don't expect things to get any better while he is here at Kentucky. In fact, I would be surprised if they did.