Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best players in the 55th
Any thoughts?
Dakota Ritchie Breathitt Co.
Gentry Hays Jackson City
Not sure what Wolfe or Riverside has.
lickbranchlegend Wrote:Dakota Ritchie Breathitt Co.
Gentry Hays Jackson City
Not sure what Wolfe or Riverside has.

:Thumbs:. Hes deff the best pitcher in the 55th, maybe even best player overall.
I like Ryan Allen from Brathitt but they said he wasnt going to play big lose for breathitt. Hayes an Goff for Jackson city will be tough after that jackson has no one else JMO. Tanner Lawson to me is more of a all round player on the breathitt squad .
kymom Wrote:I like Ryan Allen from Brathitt but they said he wasnt going to play big lose for breathitt. Hayes an Goff for Jackson city will be tough after that jackson has no one else JMO. Tanner Lawson to me is more of a all round player on the breathitt squad .

I think Allen is one of the best defensive players in the region. He has really good speed and can cover alot of ground in centerfield. Any idea why he isn't playing.
I heard something about playing in some kind of band. Breathitt needs him to play. JMO
Travis Terry- Breathitt
Tanner Lawson- Breathitt
Dakota Ritchie- Breathitt
Gentry Hayes- Jackson City
What about the Terrill kid from wolfe he had to sit out last years season due to injury. I think he is one of the better players in this district.
Terrill was a good player last year(even with his injury) and should be even better this year. Campbell can handle anything in the outfield or infield and can put the ball over the fence. Creech is a promising pitcher. Wolfe has several other talented players.
foxhound Wrote:Terrill was a good player last year(even with his injury) and should be even better this year. Campbell can handle anything in the outfield or infield and can put the ball over the fence. Creech is a promising pitcher. Wolfe has several other talented players.

Watch for Brandon Campbell to develop into a star this year.

He didn't start playing HS baseball until his Sophomore year.

His progress has been steady.

He is a work-a-holic on the field; you cant run him off!!!!

I think he will hit very well this year, and will surprise a few people when he takes the mound.

As an outfielder, he is outstanding. He covers a lot of ground, gets a good read on the ball, and has a very good arm.

Deron Terrill could be an even BETTER outfielder than Campbell if he decides he wants to do so.

Trouble is, he wants to play the infield, and I am sure he will see playing time there this year, but his true position, IMO, is the outfield.

Creech will, in time, simply become a franchise-type player.

And he is only an eight grader.

Nice thing about it, is that Wolfe probably has enough talent around him this year that he will not be expected to carry the team.

Anything they get out of him at this point will only be a bonus.

Zach Sallie, a junior playing since the sixth grade, will be the table setter for the Wolfe offense this year. He knows how to get on base.

The Wolve's best hitter may very well be Sophomore Kenny Broughton.

He is a lot stronger than he was last year, and should be able to drive the ball into the gaps and, on occasion, over the fence.

Wolfe has several other young players with potential, and could surprise a lot of folks the the 14th Region this year.
Creech-wolfe county
Ritchie-breathitt county
Terry-breathitt county

These are the top three players in the 55th. Creech is at the top of the list because he has the most upside and hits the ball harder than anyone in the 55th and he has a great arm. He's on pace to hit .600 and drive in 50 runs this year as an eigth grader. Ritchie is a nice pitcher and is getting better at the plate. The one thing I see is that he is not throwing any harder than he was a a freshman. Terry is a fantastic outfielder who really gets a great jump on the ball and his bat is coming around as well. All three are great kids as well.
jr92 Wrote:Watch for Brandon Campbell to develop into a star this year.

He didn't start playing HS baseball until his Sophomore year.

His progress has been steady.

He is a work-a-holic on the field; you cant run him off!!!!

I think he will hit very well this year, and will surprise a few people when he takes the mound.

As an outfielder, he is outstanding. He covers a lot of ground, gets a good read on the ball, and has a very good arm.

Deron Terrill could be an even BETTER outfielder than Campbell if he decides he wants to do so.

Trouble is, he wants to play the infield, and I am sure he will see playing time there this year, but his true position, IMO, is the outfield.

Creech will, in time, simply become a franchise-type player.

And he is only an eight grader.

Nice thing about it, is that Wolfe probably has enough talent around him this year that he will not be expected to carry the team.

Anything they get out of him at this point will only be a bonus.

Zach Sallie, a junior playing since the sixth grade, will be the table setter for the Wolfe offense this year. He knows how to get on base.

The Wolve's best hitter may very well be Sophomore Kenny Broughton.

He is a lot stronger than he was last year, and should be able to drive the ball into the gaps and, on occasion, over the fence.

Wolfe has several other young players with potential, and could surprise a lot of folks the the 14th Region this year.
I agree with you on the creech kid but I would go alot further. He is by far the best in the 55th right now. He played traveling ball for the last two years on a team in Lexington which is where I first saw him. He was absolutely dominate down there against alot better pitching than you normally face in the 14th.
I agree with you slugger that creech is the best player in the 55th. I have seen him play alot down here in powell county when he was 11 and 12 and the last 2 years in lexington. He is one of the best young hitters that I have ever saw. Is he going to stay at wolfe or is he going to come to powell next year. As good as he is he sure don't need to be at wolfe. They sure don't have much in the way of coaching up there. I looked at their schedule and they only have 23 games scheduled. That tells you how serious they are about baseball up there.I know he is only an eigth grader so he can go any where he wants next season. I sure hope he comes down here. I played against his dad in high school and he was probably the best pitche ever in the 14th region. I understand he was on his to the pro's before a career ending arm injury. I can't see him leaving at wolfe.
Can't believe that allen is not playing this year. He was probably the fastest center fielder in the region the last two seasons and I heard that he had not been caught stealing in those two seasons. Does anyone know if that's true? If it is, that is amazing.
PCBaseball Wrote:I agree with you slugger that creech is the best player in the 55th. I have seen him play alot down here in powell county when he was 11 and 12 and the last 2 years in lexington. He is one of the best young hitters that I have ever saw. Is he going to stay at wolfe or is he going to come to powell next year. As good as he is he sure don't need to be at wolfe. They sure don't have much in the way of coaching up there. I looked at their schedule and they only have 23 games scheduled. That tells you how serious they are about baseball up there.I know he is only an eigth grader so he can go any where he wants next season. I sure hope he comes down here. I played against his dad in high school and he was probably the best pitche ever in the 14th region. I understand he was on his to the pro's before a career ending arm injury. I can't see him leaving at wolfe.

Whoa, whoa, and whoa!!!!!

Couple of points I would like to make here regarding the KHSAA website, where you undoubtably got your "23 games scheduled" argument regarding Wolfe County's "dont have much in the way of coaching" point you are seemingly trying to make here.

A. In no way, shape, form, or fashion, is the KHSAA website an "official" site as to schedules, or even results of games go. It is simply a place where all schools SHOULD enter information regarding athletic activities, but are in no means COMPELLED TO DO SO!

B. Having said that, in regards to the KHSAA website showing Wolfe County only playing twenty-three games, the web site DOES NOT SHOW the following:

1. 7 games rained out so far this season.

2. at least two other games Wolfe has scheduled recently, but not currently showing up on the KHSAA site.

3. Wolfe County activley trying to schedule games with at least a half dozen other schools next month.

By my count, the 23 game schedule actually is a 32 game schedule, not counting tournaments. Should Wolfe have scheduled a few more games earlier??? Perhaps. Does scheduling "only" 32 games constitute "not much coaching up there", or " how serious they are about baseball"???? Of course not!

I take great resentment in your statements that Wolfe does no have much coaching. I have known Greg Potter for a long time and can say that he puts in a great deal of time and cares greatly about the kids that he coaches.

He owns one of only three district championships in school history and has an excellent chance to pick up another one this year.

As a coach, I see him getting better and better each year/

Wolfe, being a small class A school has to juggle the number of games vs.the weather vs. the size of the pitching staff in trying to schedule games. Pretty easy for a school two and a half times the size of Wolfe to do. Try reasoning out how to play 6 games in 8 days with only two starting pitchers. Then try to come up with a third starter when it rains for a week and you only get to play one game in ten days.

Dylan will be ok wherever he goes as long as he keeps a positive attitude and is willing to listen and work hard. I personally hope he stays with his friends at Wolfe County, but would wish him well whatever he decides to do.
jr92 Wrote:Whoa, whoa, and whoa!!!!!

Couple of points I would like to make here regarding the KHSAA website, where you undoubtably got your "23 games scheduled" argument regarding Wolfe County's "dont have much in the way of coaching" point you are seemingly trying to make here.

A. In no way, shape, form, or fashion, is the KHSAA website an "official" site as to schedules, or even results of games go. It is simply a place where all schools SHOULD enter information regarding athletic activities, but are in no means COMPELLED TO DO SO!

B. Having said that, in regards to the KHSAA website showing Wolfe County only playing twenty-three games, the web site DOES NOT SHOW the following:

1. 7 games rained out so far this season.

2. at least two other games Wolfe has scheduled recently, but not currently showing up on the KHSAA site.

3. Wolfe County activley trying to schedule games with at least a half dozen other schools next month.

By my count, the 23 game schedule actually is a 32 game schedule, not counting tournaments. Should Wolfe have scheduled a few more games earlier??? Perhaps. Does scheduling "only" 32 games constitute "not much coaching up there", or " how serious they are about baseball"???? Of course not!

I take great resentment in your statements that Wolfe does no have much coaching. I have known Greg Potter for a long time and can say that he puts in a great deal of time and cares greatly about the kids that he coaches.

He owns one of only three district championships in school history and has an excellent chance to pick up another one this year.

As a coach, I see him getting better and better each year/

Wolfe, being a small class A school has to juggle the number of games vs.the weather vs. the size of the pitching staff in trying to schedule games. Pretty easy for a school two and a half times the size of Wolfe to do. Try reasoning out how to play 6 games in 8 days with only two starting pitchers. Then try to come up with a third starter when it rains for a week and you only get to play one game in ten days.

Dylan will be ok wherever he goes as long as he keeps a positive attitude and is willing to listen and work hard. I personally hope he stays with his friends at Wolfe County, but would wish him well whatever he decides to do.
Now let us get to the facts, the only reson wolfe won that district title that year was because of the stamper kid who transferred up there from down here. Now we all know that potter is not a baseball coach. Many of wolfe's players over the years have came down here and talked to me and others abou how they don't play or practice on the weekends and how upset they were at this. Go look up how many games potter is under .500 over his tenure and then come and talk to me. Whether you know it or not, most people in the region laugh when you mention wolfe county baseball. I am not trying to offend anyone, just stating the facts. Lee Co. is a small single A school and look what Combs did with them.
By the way, what has happened to Jackson City They have only played three games so far. Are they down this year or what. I know they were pretty good the last two years.
PCBaseball Wrote:Now let us get to the facts, the only reson wolfe won that district title that year was because of the stamper kid who transferred up there from down here. Now we all know that potter is not a baseball coach. Many of wolfe's players over the years have came down here and talked to me and others abou how they don't play or practice on the weekends and how upset they were at this. Go look up how many games potter is under .500 over his tenure and then come and talk to me. Whether you know it or not, most people in the region laugh when you mention wolfe county baseball. I am not trying to offend anyone, just stating the facts. Lee Co. is a small single A school and look what Combs did with them.

You're confusing facts with opinions, which of course, you are allowed to express; you simply shouldn't state them as "facts'.

The only fact I see is that, yes, coach Potter is under .500 for his career, but as a rule, most of Wolfe's teams over the past 35 or 40 years has had losing records, and he's only been there 6 or 7 years, so he can't be blamed for that! No, there is another reason, and it's simple: players win ball games, and traditionaly Wolfe County, with a very few exceptions, simply never has enough good players to win with. Wolfe, along with MOST other small schools oftentimes has to use players who, quite frankly don't have enough God-given talent to make a decent little leaguer. This is not a slam on these kids in any way, not everyone is going to be a good player, but if the talent is not there........ and anyone who coaches probably thinks he can turn some of these kids into great players, but reality is what it is, it simply ain't gonna happen.

Yes, Stamper was a great player, no doubt was the Wolve's cornerstone that year, but the "fact" is, he joined a senior-laden team that year, and many of them put up pretty good stats that year. Would they have won the district that year without Stamper? I believe they COULD have (maybe not, also), but Chris simply put Wolfe County head and shoulders above Breathitt and Jackson that year. Once again, talented players won.

Gene Combs not doubt did a GREAT job at Lee, and I know he put a lot of work into it, but I believe he would tell you he had quite a bit of talent over there, as well. This small school is more of an exception rather the rule. Not counting the city school south of us, how many other A schools in the region has a good team on a consistant basis? None, and there are reasons for that, but the biggest thing is simply not enough talent. I guess they get laughed at, too.

BTW, you have a funny way of "not trying to offend anyone."
jr92 Wrote:You're confusing facts with opinions, which of course, you are allowed to express; you simply shouldn't state them as "facts'.

The only fact I see is that, yes, coach Potter is under .500 for his career, but as a rule, most of Wolfe's teams over the past 35 or 40 years has had losing records, and he's only been there 6 or 7 years, so he can't be blamed for that! No, there is another reason, and it's simple: players win ball games, and traditionaly Wolfe County, with a very few exceptions, simply never has enough good players to win with. Wolfe, along with MOST other small schools oftentimes has to use players who, quite frankly don't have enough God-given talent to make a decent little leaguer. This is not a slam on these kids in any way, not everyone is going to be a good player, but if the talent is not there........ and anyone who coaches probably thinks he can turn some of these kids into great players, but reality is what it is, it simply ain't gonna happen.

Yes, Stamper was a great player, no doubt was the Wolve's cornerstone that year, but the "fact" is, he joined a senior-laden team that year, and many of them put up pretty good stats that year. Would they have won the district that year without Stamper? I believe they COULD have (maybe not, also), but Chris simply put Wolfe County head and shoulders above Breathitt and Jackson that year. Once again, talented players won.

Gene Combs not doubt did a GREAT job at Lee, and I know he put a lot of work into it, but I believe he would tell you he had quite a bit of talent over there, as well. This small school is more of an exception rather the rule. Not counting the city school south of us, how many other A schools in the region has a good team on a consistant basis? None, and there are reasons for that, but the biggest thing is simply not enough talent. I guess they get laughed at, too.

BTW, you have a funny way of "not trying to offend anyone."

I am sorry you took offense. That being said, lets examine how Gene Combs got that talent. He built it from the groun up. He used to bring 9,10, 11,and 12 year old teams down here to Powell which he coached himself. [building the program] He had his hand on every player in that county and taught the game at every level in order to build his High School program. In short, he worked his a.. off to build the program. He had talent because he built that talent himself. I can remember a time when Wolfe was very competitive and even came down here to Powell and handed our buts to us in the first round of the District and then took out the Regional powerhouse at that time, Lee County to win the District championship that year. I can't remember the coach's name, but I remember that every year he had them they were very good and after he left they have been going down hill every since and your coach now is not just a little under .500 he is way way under .500. When I played against Wolfe from '79 thru 82 they was plenty of talent on those teams and they were in the region almost every year and I have seen some of their young kids that travelled and played in the summer over the past few years and they would beat our allstar teams rather routinely,so I know that there is plenty of baseball talent up there. This leads me to the conclusion that it is a lack of coaching rather than a lack of talent.
jr92 here are some more facts.
2009 4-2
2008 9-12
2007 4-18
2006 10-10
2005 6-11
2004 5-15
2003 5-11
2002 3-10
48and89 win, loss record without one winning season and never played more than 21 games a season. How does this guy keep his job? We would have fired him after the first two years here at Powell because we really care about baseball down here.
PCBaseball Wrote:jr92 here are some more facts.
2009 4-2
2008 9-12
2007 4-18
2006 10-10
2005 6-11
2004 5-15
2003 5-11
2002 3-10
48and89 win, loss record without one winning season and never played more than 21 games a season. How does this guy keep his job? We would have fired him after the first two years here at Powell because we really care about baseball down here.

Wow; are these numbers correct? Where did you get your information?
Yes these numbers are true and all you have to do is go to the scoreboard to find them.
PCBaseball Wrote:jr92 here are some more facts.
2009 4-2
2008 9-12
2007 4-18
2006 10-10
2005 6-11
2004 5-15
2003 5-11
2002 3-10

The numbers are not quite accurate. As someone posted earlier, the KHSAA web site is not the gospil when it comes to looking up a team's won-loss record. Games sometimes do not get posted for one reason or another. I know for a fact that the 2006 team won a lot more than 10 games. My guess is they probably were more like 17-11 that year. Like-wise, last years team won at least one game that was never posted, which would have given them 10 wins that year. There may have been a game or two missed being posted during the years from 2002-2005,as well. Having said that, with a very few exceptions, The website is pretty close to being accurate.

There is a reason for the won-loss record over the years, and at the same time, if you follow the numbers, they also tell a story, as well. Having been a student-athlete during the general time frame of Mr. Potter's first year of coaching, and being a current teacher in the Wolfe school system, I do know a little about what has happened, and what is going on now.

Mr. Potter took over a baseball team that was, quite frankly, in shambles. The talented players of the very good 98 team had long since graduated. The little league folded 4 years before he took over as coach, and there was no middle school baseball team. So he basically took over a team with not a whole lot of talent to begin with, and very little experience to boot. And it would only get worse over the next couple of years. Most of his players hadn't played any type of baseball since T-Ball. He simply walked into a no-win situation. The program would have to be rebuilt, and that takes years.

Little league was started back up. Summer ball was added. (A middle school team is on the way, they may even play a few games this year). A few young, talented players started playing. Although the record only improved slightly from one year to the next, there WAS improvement, and it paid off with the 2006 team, as I said winning 17 games and a District title.

Graduation hit this team hard, and they lost 7 of their top 9 players. Mr. Potter knew going in that 2007 was going to be a rough season, and it was. A 4-18 record tells it all, but he now had a small group of talented young players to build on and the 10-12 record they posted last year was a nice turn-a-round. The improvement continues this year with a 5-2 record with a bunch if winnable games rained out. (Just announced at school a sceduled Double-header has been rained out. That makes something like 9 wash-outs so far this year.)

Powell County has an excellent baseball program. They do a wonderful job down there. But the key word is "program" which is something that Wolfe didn't have when Mr. Potter took over. Improvements have been made, but there is still a long way to go. Just thought you might need to look at the Wolfe County side from a different perspective.
class of 2001 Wrote:The numbers are not quite accurate. As someone posted earlier, the KHSAA web site is not the gospil when it comes to looking up a team's won-loss record. Games sometimes do not get posted for one reason or another. I know for a fact that the 2006 team won a lot more than 10 games. My guess is they probably were more like 17-11 that year. Like-wise, last years team won at least one game that was never posted, which would have given them 10 wins that year. There may have been a game or two missed being posted during the years from 2002-2005,as well. Having said that, with a very few exceptions, The website is pretty close to being accurate.

There is a reason for the won-loss record over the years, and at the same time, if you follow the numbers, they also tell a story, as well. Having been a student-athlete during the general time frame of Mr. Potter's first year of coaching, and being a current teacher in the Wolfe school system, I do know a little about what has happened, and what is going on now.

Mr. Potter took over a baseball team that was, quite frankly, in shambles. The talented players of the very good 98 team had long since graduated. The little league folded 4 years before he took over as coach, and there was no middle school baseball team. So he basically took over a team with not a whole lot of talent to begin with, and very little experience to boot. And it would only get worse over the next couple of years. Most of his players hadn't played any type of baseball since T-Ball. He simply walked into a no-win situation. The program would have to be rebuilt, and that takes years.

Little league was started back up. Summer ball was added. (A middle school team is on the way, they may even play a few games this year). A few young, talented players started playing. Although the record only improved slightly from one year to the next, there WAS improvement, and it paid off with the 2006 team, as I said winning 17 games and a District title.

Graduation hit this team hard, and they lost 7 of their top 9 players. Mr. Potter knew going in that 2007 was going to be a rough season, and it was. A 4-18 record tells it all, but he now had a small group of talented young players to build on and the 10-12 record they posted last year was a nice turn-a-round. The improvement continues this year with a 5-2 record with a bunch if winnable games rained out. (Just announced at school a sceduled Double-header has been rained out. That makes something like 9 wash-outs so far this year.)

Powell County has an excellent baseball program. They do a wonderful job down there. But the key word is "program" which is something that Wolfe didn't have when Mr. Potter took over. Improvements have been made, but there is still a long way to go. Just thought you might need to look at the Wolfe County side from a different perspective.
All of this sounds like excuses. You can't build a program by not playing or practicing on the weekend. My son plays for Powell and I have been with him when some of his friends from Wolfe, both former and current players, complain about not playing on Saturday's, when you could easily invite two or three teams in and play. So, in my opinion. instead of defending meteocricy, you should admit and fix it by getting a real baseball man up there to coach your team.
I have to agree with PCBaseball. I am a former player who played for coach Potter and he is a great guy, but knows very very little about baseball. He is way out of his league trying to coach baseball at the high school level.
PCBaseball Wrote:All of this sounds like excuses. You can't build a program by not playing or practicing on the weekend. My son plays for Powell and I have been with him when some of his friends from Wolfe, both former and current players, complain about not playing on Saturday's, when you could easily invite two or three teams in and play. So, in my opinion. instead of defending meteocricy, you should admit and fix it by getting a real baseball man up there to coach your team.

Please accept my humblest apology for having the gall to even suggest that a trivial thing such as not having a feeder system may have a direct affect on a high school baseball team's performance on the field! Of course, a coach Combs, Varney, or Dean could take a kid who hasn't played since T-Ball (no coach pitch, just hitting off the tee), and have him playing at a high level with no trouble at all, couldn't they? You ever see a high school kid try to so a simple act as THROWING a baseball when he hasn't thrown one since he was eight years old? Or have you ever seen a kid try to hit a baseball thrown by a high schooler when he has never even seen a ball thrown by a little leaguer???? If you haven't, I'll tell you, it aint a pretty sight. Now imagine taking over a whole team of "talent" like that and competing at a high school level. That is basically what happened. I know. I saw it. It wasn't pretty.

You keep hammering at the fact that Wolfe County doesn't play or practice on Saturday's as being the main culpret for their past failures. Personally, I think they SHOULD schedule a few Saturday games, but am smart enough to know that NOT playing on Saturday's wasn't the reason for Wolfe's 3-11 record in 2002 or their 4-18 record a couple of years ago. Actually, if those teams had played on Saturdays, their won/loss record would have only been worse. Why not ask your coach what he would rather give up if he had to, a feeder program, or Saturdays? As far as some of our "past" players are concerned, they were notorious for coming up with excuses to "be out of town" when Saturday practices WERE scheduled. I'll wager some of the same guys complained to you about not practicing on Saturdays. We had a player a few years ago, one of the best athletes to ever play at Wolfe, never take baseball seriously at all. Quit as a Sophomore. Walked out on the team for a week as a Junior. Missed practices left and right as a Senior. With about two weeks to go in his Senior year and no game scheduled, Mr. Potter called off practice on that day. Had to take his kid to the doctor or something. This player went to the principals office complaining that "we ain't playing enough." I bet this same guy complained to you, as well.
class of 2001 Wrote:Please accept my humblest apology for having the gall to even suggest that a trivial thing such as not having a feeder system may have a direct affect on a high school baseball team's performance on the field! Of course, a coach Combs, Varney, or Dean could take a kid who hasn't played since T-Ball (no coach pitch, just hitting off the tee), and have him playing at a high level with no trouble at all, couldn't they? You ever see a high school kid try to so a simple act as THROWING a baseball when he hasn't thrown one since he was eight years old? Or have you ever seen a kid try to hit a baseball thrown by a high schooler when he has never even seen a ball thrown by a little leaguer???? If you haven't, I'll tell you, it aint a pretty sight. Now imagine taking over a whole team of "talent" like that and competing at a high school level. That is basically what happened. I know. I saw it. It wasn't pretty.

You keep hammering at the fact that Wolfe County doesn't play or practice on Saturday's as being the main culpret for their past failures. Personally, I think they SHOULD schedule a few Saturday games, but am smart enough to know that NOT playing on Saturday's wasn't the reason for Wolfe's 3-11 record in 2002 or their 4-18 record a couple of years ago. Actually, if those teams had played on Saturdays, their won/loss record would have only been worse. Why not ask your coach what he would rather give up if he had to, a feeder program, or Saturdays? As far as some of our "past" players are concerned, they were notorious for coming up with excuses to "be out of town" when Saturday practices WERE scheduled. I'll wager some of the same guys complained to you about not practicing on Saturdays. We had a player a few years ago, one of the best athletes to ever play at Wolfe, never take baseball seriously at all. Quit as a Sophomore. Walked out on the team for a week as a Junior. Missed practices left and right as a Senior. With about two weeks to go in his Senior year and no game scheduled, Mr. Potter called off practice on that day. Had to take his kid to the doctor or something. This player went to the principals office complaining that "we ain't playing enough." I bet this same guy complained to you, as well.
Don't talk to me about not having a feeder program because the creech boy's father brought wonderfully talented teams down here and beat our buts off. Those kids had been taught the game and could really play. He took those kids everywhere to play and someyimes my son would go and play with them. So that can't be the problem. Also, the more you practice and play, the better you get.
PCBaseball Wrote:Don't talk to me about not having a feeder program because the creech boy's father brought wonderfully talented teams down here and beat our buts off. Those kids had been taught the game and could really play. He took those kids everywhere to play and someyimes my son would go and play with them. So that can't be the problem. Also, the more you practice and play, the better you get.

You don't have to tell me anything about those teams because I helped coach a team that had to play against that team and they beat us and everbody else to death up here for 2 straight years. They mercy ruled all of us. The second year the other teams quit after seven games and he took those kids to tournaments almost every weekend and they played about 40 games a summer. So, you are right, they can't use that as an excuse. Those kids could flat out play.
PCBaseball Wrote:Don't talk to me about not having a feeder program because the creech boy's father brought wonderfully talented teams down here and beat our buts off. Those kids had been taught the game and could really play. He took those kids everywhere to play and someyimes my son would go and play with them. So that can't be the problem. Also, the more you practice and play, the better you get.

If you look at the Wolfe County roster, I believe you'll find four players who played on the traveling team you are referring to. There was a fifth player, but he moved out of county after the 7th grade. That was it. Out of an entire county, five players. The rest of this team was filled out with kids from surrounding counties, or the team couldn't have even been fielded. I wouldn't exactly call it a Wolfe County team.

Having said that, if you'd bother to read my original post, you would see you are only proving the point I was making. Mr. Potter HAD NO FEEDER PROGRAM WHEN HE STARTED, and he had terrible teams. Little League was re-started in 2002, the same year he began coaching. As I said earlier, it would take years to rebuild a baseball program. Wolfe County is just now starting to see results of re-starting a feeder system 7 years ago. To date, I think everyone on his team has played some at a lower level, compared to few or even NONE on a couple of his early teams.
Ridgerunner Wrote:You don't have to tell me anything about those teams because I helped coach a team that had to play against that team and they beat us and everbody else to death up here for 2 straight years. They mercy ruled all of us. The second year the other teams quit after seven games and he took those kids to tournaments almost every weekend and they played about 40 games a summer. So, you are right, they can't use that as an excuse. Those kids could flat out play.

Yes, they were good, all five of them. If that is the most that one can come up with out of an entire county, then I would have to say the feeder system is pretty weak.

And you should see the current state of the little league system. Pretty sad. I would not be surprised if they don't have one this year. To date, there have been no sign-ups, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Having said that, a weak feeder system is a whole lot better than not having one at all. Wolfe has been there, done that.