Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 2009-2010
PG-Elisha Justice
SG-Cody Varney
SF-Ashley Hatfield
PF-Taylor Newsome
C-

Who will step in the C spot for valley or wll they go with a smaller lineup?
Also are they any incoming freshman who will could make an impact?

I know Dorton had a big boy Cody Belter? is his name if Im not mistaken, but if Im not mistaken he is just a 7th grader. Can he come up and contirbute? Is it allowed? Does Virgie have any one coming in? Just a few questions a few of us were discusing?
Notorious Wrote:PG-Elisha Justice
SG-Cody Varney
SF-Ashley Hatfield
PF-Taylor Newsome
C-

Who will step in the C spot for valley or wll they go with a smaller lineup?
Also are they any incoming freshman who will could make an impact?

I know Dorton had a big boy Cody Belter? is his name if Im not mistaken, but if Im not mistaken he is just a 7th grader. Can he come up and contirbute? Is it allowed? Does Virgie have any one coming in? Just a few questions a few of us were discusing?

Unless something changes dramatically, they will start a smaller lineup with Elisha, Cody, Tyler, Taylor, and Ashley. Taylor isn't very tall, but rebounds like a 6-6 guy. He averaged 13 per game in the state and is by far their best rebounder. I think Ashley will really have to step up his rebounding next year. If Varney can stay out of foul trouble, he will be a good rebounder because of his athletic ability.

This lineup is smaller, but not really small with Elisha 5'10"-5'11", Varney 6'1"-6'2", Tyler 6'3"-6'4", Taylor 6'2"-6'3", and Ashley 6'5"-6'6". The bigger problem will be who will step up off the bench. Will it be Trey Roberts, Rusty Roberts, Logan Lucas, Jacob Robinson, or Colton Damron at guard or Dillon Tackett, Christian Bartley, or Jonathan Berger at forward/center? Cody Belter will be in the 8th grade and could help size wise, but his speed and strength aren't good enough to contribute at this level yet (maybe his offseason progress will change that). Dalton Richardson from Virgie is athletic enough to contribute a little, but adjusting to the physical part of the game may be a problem for him too.
We need a big man some body get Belter in the gym lock the doors don't let him leave!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen some of the stats you've posted from his games and they look impressive. But I do understand that he is alot taller than alot of the kids and that comes in with a lot of the blocks and rebounds.
Notorious Wrote:We need a big man some body get Belter in the gym lock the doors don't let him leave!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen some of the stats you've posted from his games and they look impressive. But I do understand that he is alot taller than alot of the kids and that comes in with a lot of the blocks and rebounds.

He works really hard, but cannot gain weight. We have been lifting weights and doing plyometrics, plus playing AAU for about a month now so he has been in the gym a ton. He also went to some of SV's practices when we weren't practicing. He has quite a bit of skill for a big man, but the strength and his running are the biggest question marks right now. I would love to see him contribute next season, but I'm just not sure he can yet.
If he needs to gain weight, I can put him on my diet. LOL
We need some recruiting lol
Belter does not have the strength right now. His skills are solid but needs to get bigger and stronger. SV will play small ball imo.
SV will for sure be the favorite coming into next season. Like Rick Pitino said today it is very tough to beat a experienced ball club full of seniors. Next years SV team will be very fast like they was in 2007 when they won the 15th. They will just as tough next year as they was this year.
This years team remind me of Duke, I know you all hate that but in honest neither team has a truly big man, neither has a big inside scoring game. a great leader, A Great coach, few seniors, and a great program.

Unless Valley finds a great center it will be hard to get a win at rupp next season unless of course they get a good draw maybe!!
Valley needs a center bad. But, the Belter kid is great but needs to add weight.
there is a center around somewhere that will transfer in dont worry guys
They could win a game at Rupp next year by drawing the 16th region.
The Fan Wrote:there is a center around somewhere that will transfer in dont worry guys

Why because that has happened 1 time in the program's history?
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:Why because that has happened 1 time in the program's history?
yes happened once probably will happen again
The Fan Wrote:yes happened once probably will happen again

Then I guess Pikeville is getting a good center too because he transferred to PHS first.
Shelby Valley will be the team to beat once again in the 15th region, but the Wildcats are going to have to improve their half-court game. They struggled in the half-court game every time I watched them play, especially at the state tournament.

I think that they'll still be tough defensively, but they will miss Adams ability to block shots down low.

Nearly every Valley player needs to hit the gym and improve on their shooting, because they cannot rely on Justice to take all the shots like they did at state. Varney & Hatfield need to prove that they are capable of knocking down an open jumper. Taylor Newsome needs to improve his post-play, and Tyler Newsome needs to work on his defense & ball-handling.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Shelby Valley will be the team to beat once again in the 15th region, but the Wildcats are going to have to improve their half-court game. They struggled in the half-court game every time I watched them play, especially at the state tournament.

I think that they'll still be tough defensively, but they will miss Adams ability to block shots down low.

Nearly every Valley player needs to hit the gym and improve on their shooting, because they cannot rely on Justice to take all the shots like they did at state. Varney & Hatfield need to prove that they are capable of knocking down an open jumper. Taylor Newsome needs to improve his post-play, and Tyler Newsome needs to work on his defense & ball-handling.

Very good analysis!
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Very good analysis!

I agree
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:They could win a game at Rupp next year by drawing the 16th region.

What is their record at rupp against the 16th? Its probably pretty good isn't it?Confusedhh:
It will improve next year:biggrin:
The Fan Wrote:there is a center around somewhere that will transfer in dont worry guys

Do you know something that we dont??????:eyeroll:
MisterPerfect Wrote:Valley needs a center bad. But, the Belter kid is great but needs to add weight.

That seems to be the rumor. Not as big, but can play... But most of time rumors are what they are just rumors.
Valley will be the favorite. No Bench. Which IMO, will really hurt them. They have to stay healthy and stay out of foul trouble. Justice goes down and this team could really struggle. Hatfield would have the same effect, but Justice would be a bigger loss.
BlueSky Wrote:That seems to be the rumor. Not as big, but can play... But most of time rumors are what they are just rumors.

??????? I hav'nt heard any rumors. If no one wants to say in the thread then please feel free to PM me.:thanks:
belter is tall but will not be able to contribute at valley next year. they need to play him in jv though to get him used to high school ball. but i don't really even see him doing much against a good jv team because he is not that mobile. he really needs to work hard. but as far as valley i see them being really good next year. logan is going to be missed because him and elisha together was two of the best gaurds in the state. but taylor led the team in rebounds so they won't be big but they will play like it.
SwildcatV Wrote:belter is tall but will not be able to contribute at valley next year. they need to play him in jv though to get him used to high school ball. but i don't really even see him doing much against a good jv team because he is not that mobile. he really needs to work hard. but as far as valley i see them being really good next year. logan is going to be missed because him and elisha together was two of the best gaurds in the state. but taylor led the team in rebounds so they won't be big but they will play like it.

Belter isn't very mobile, but it isn't because he doesn't work hard. When you are 6'8 in the 7th grade, you body is growing too fast. Eventually all his hard work will pay off though. I think he will be a big time contributor by at least his sophomore year if not sooner.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Belter isn't very mobile, but it isn't because he doesn't work hard. When you are 6'8 in the 7th grade, you body is growing too fast. Eventually all his hard work will pay off though. I think he will be a big time contributor by at least his sophomore year if not sooner.
Right, he is at an awkward age, plus being that tall is working against him. In a couple of years it will start evening out for him. He doesn't have to be all that mobile at first to help around the post. It will come with age.
Man, 6' 8" in the 7th, he could get 2 more inches pretty easy, maybe more. Start putting the steak to his menu, in big quantities. :biggrin:
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:They could win a game at Rupp next year by drawing the 16th region.

Only if its not Elliott
No offense but Elliot will not even be in contention for the 16th regional title next year. They have some good young kids coming up in the 5th and 6th grades. But they will take some beatings next year.
I say the starting 5 will look something like this:

PG-Elisha Justice
SG-Cody Varney/Tyler Newsome
SF-Cody Varney/Tyler Newsome
PF-Ashley Hatfield
C-Taylor Newsome
  • 1(current)
  • Next