Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruits & Players
What happens to players like Dakota Euton?
kybaseball Wrote:What happens to players like Dakota Euton?

I say he goes elsewhere, doesn't fit in very well with the system.
kybaseball Wrote:What happens to players like Dakota Euton?

he doesnt come in til 2010. idk if coach calipari is gonna talk to him or not, we'll have to wait and see what happens
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:I say he goes elsewhere, doesn't fit in very well with the system.

I agree, I dont see Euton fitting into this system but I would like to see Euton in the blue and white, maybe as a walk-on.
First off, I'd like to give my opinion on the whole Michael Porter situation...

I have heard the rumors that he may want to call it quits as well. Apparently he and his wife are about to have a baby, and he also will be able to graduate this spring with his degree. If he chooses to stop playing so he can take care of his family, then that's fine and I will wish him well.

But I sincerely hope that UK or Calipari does not push him out. If Porter wants to stay on scholarship and play his senior year, I think he has earned that right. He has been through two coaching changes now, has never gotten into any kind of trouble, and has dealt with an enormous amount of criticism from the fanbase.

Most of the criticism was undeserved, as Porter was asked (forced?) to play out of position this past season. He was recruited to UK as a shooting guard, yet when asked to play point this year out of necessity he did it to the best of his ability. Should Porter be the starting point guard for UK? Absolutely not, and I think the results on the court bear this out. But that's not his fault. Let Porter stay at his natural position and come off the bench as a backup SG, and he will do fine in that role.

To me, Porter seems to me to be a good kid, who has poured his blood, sweat, and tears into the UK program. If it is his wish, I hope to see him run through a big paper hoop next March on UK's senior day. I think he has earned that much. If UK ends up pushing him out for some new recruit, it will be a disgrace to the university.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would like to see him there too,But I think would see minumal playing time and would be better off someplace else.jmo
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, I'd like to give my opinion on the whole Michael Porter situation...

I have heard the rumors that he may want to call it quits as well. Apparently he and his wife are about to have a baby, and he also will be able to graduate this spring with his degree. If he chooses to stop playing so he can take care of his family, then that's fine and I will wish him well.

But I sincerely hope that UK or Calipari does not push him out. If Porter wants to stay on scholarship and play his senior year, I think he has earned that right. He has been through two coaching changes now, has never gotten into any kind of trouble, and has dealt with an enormous amount of criticism from the fanbase.

Most of the criticism was undeserved, as Porter was asked (forced?) to play out of position this past season. He was recruited to UK as a shooting guard, yet when asked to play point this year out of necessity he did it to the best of his ability. Should Porter be the starting point guard for UK? Absolutely not, and I think the results on the court bear this out. But that's not his fault. Let Porter stay at his natural position and come off the bench as a backup SG, and he will do fine in that role.

To me, Porter seems to me to be a good kid, who has poured his blood, sweat, and tears into the UK program. If it is his wish, I hope to see him run through a big paper hoop next March on UK's senior day. I think he has earned that much. If UK ends up pushing him out for some new recruit, it will be a disgrace to the university.

Good Post MC, I agree 100%.
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, I'd like to give my opinion on the whole Michael Porter situation...

Porter has given a lot to UK but UK has given him back plenty in return. I think he will realize he is out of his league with the system Calipari will be putting in place. Calipari might as well trim the fat off the program and let him and some other dead weights go.

Porter is a tremendous point guard, my opinion the best point guard on UK. idk how he is as a shooting gaurd though, never saw him play that position.
kybaseball Wrote:Porter has given a lot to UK but UK has given him back plenty in return. I think he will realize he is out of his league with the system Calipari will be putting in place. Calipari might as well trim the fat off the program and let him and some other dead weights go.

I would hardly call Porter dead weight. He may not fit well with the sysytem Calipari runs, and if he wants to transfer somewhere else so that he can play more his senior year, then that is fine. But that should be his decision to make. If UK or Calipari makes it for him, then that is a big black eye on the program. Running off a good kid who gives everything he has to the team, just before his senior year? That would be an embarassment.

I ask this: who would be more likely to accept a bench role where he may not see very many minutes, a guy like Porter or some hotshot freshman who thinks he should be getting 30 minutes a game? UK can't start all 13 guys, some of them have to come off the bench. Porter would be perfect in a bench role.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think he should transfer and play for Tubby. He's the one who thought he was good enough to play D1. I can see your point though about him putting his time and effort in playing for UK, to run him off now would be bad on the University's part. He shouldnt have been there in the first place though, IMO.
Strikeout King Wrote:Porter is a tremendous point guard, my opinion the best point guard on UK. idk how he is as a shooting gaurd though, never saw him play that position.

I have to disagree with you here. I don't think Porter is a great point guard at all. He is servicable, but jif he is the best PG option on the team then we are in trouble. He plays hard, and can run the team fairly well, but he just doesn't have the ballhandling skills to bring the ball up the court. He usually gets abused when trying to bring the ball up against the press.

He would be great as a backup SG. That's what he was recruited as, and I think he could be a good shooter off the bench (a la Cameron Mills) when he's not saddled with the responsibilities of running the point.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I would hardly call Porter dead weight. He may not fit well with the sysytem Calipari runs, and if he wants to transfer somewhere else so that he can play more his senior year, then that is fine. But that should be his decision to make. If UK or Calipari makes it for him, then that is a big black eye on the program. Running off a good kid who gives everything he has to the team, just before his senior year? That would be an embarassment.

I ask this: who would be more likely to accept a bench role where he may not see very many minutes, a guy like Porter or some hotshot freshman who thinks he should be getting 30 minutes a game? UK can't start all 13 guys, some of them have to come off the bench. Porter would be perfect in a bench role.

You make good points I can understand if we were talking Meeks or Patterson but it's time to start winning again. Porter would be dead weight to the team on the court .He could come in and do mop up duty but I can't see him doing that.I can't see it being a blackeye if they part ways like coach says if you can't play you don't need to be here. Also he said he would help them find another school to go to.If a player like Derrick Rose is there they should be getting 30 minutes or more a game
hellbilly Wrote:I think he should transfer and play for Tubby. He's the one who thought he was good enough to play D1. I can see your point though about him putting his time and effort in playing for UK, to run him off now would be bad on the University's part. He shouldnt have been there in the first place though, IMO.

You are probably right about Porter never being at UK in the first place. I think we all wondered why Tubby recruited him at the time, and he has certainly shown that he is not starting caliber. But I think he would do fine as a backup, and every team needs a couple "glue guys" who work their butt off and squeeze every drop of talent they have for the team.

And I'm glad you agree that it would be poor form to run him off now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Poor form is what has happened the last 8 yrs at Uk. Porter will be ok someplace other than UK.
kybaseball Wrote:You make good points I can understand if we were talking Meeks or Patterson but it's time to start winning again. Porter would be dead weight to the team on the court .He could come in and do mop up duty but I can't see him doing that.I can't see it being a blackeye if they part ways like coach says if you can't play you don't need to be here. Also he said he would help them find another school to go to.If a player like Derrick Rose is there they should be getting 30 minutes or more a game

If Porter leaves on his own because he wants more playing time, then I'm fine with it. But if they run him off just so they can have the scholarship, then that's just wrong. Calipari should say, "If you want to stay, the scholarship is yours. Just don't expect much playing time in my system." If Porter is fine with that, because he's a senior and he wants to play his senior year for UK, then that's up to him. If he really wants to play a lot of minutes his senior year, then he can transfer.

As for your example, guys like Derrick Rose would play 30 minutes a game anywhere in the country. But if you have 10 Derrick Rose-types on your team, they can't all get 30 minutes. There just aren't enough minutes to go around. Someone is going to only get 10 minutes per night, and when it's someone who thinks they should be getting 30, it leads to dissension.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:If Porter leaves on his own because he wants more playing time, then I'm fine with it. But if they run him off just so they can have the scholarship, then that's just wrong. Calipari should say, "If you want to stay, the scholarship is yours. Just don't expect much playing time in my system." If Porter is fine with that, because he's a senior and he wants to play his senior year for UK, then that's up to him. If he really wants to play a lot of minutes his senior year, then he can transfer.

As for your example, guys like Derrick Rose would play 30 minutes a game anywhere in the country. But if you have 10 Derrick Rose-types on your team, they can't all get 30 minutes. There just aren't enough minutes to go around. Someone is going to only get 10 minutes per night, and when it's someone who thinks they should be getting 30, it leads to dissension.

For the right thing to do I get what your saying but like Calipari said if you can't play his kind of ball then you need to go somewhere else. It's time to change and might as well start new except fo the two players I mentioned earlier and Miller. It's time to start winning again no time for players that can't get it done.I know it sounds bad but that's the way it more than likely will be.
http://www.kentuckysportsradio.com reports....

- Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson will likely be back for the 'Cats next season.
- Xavier Henry may be following Calipari to Kentucky.
- Michael Avery remains committed to UK after Calipari hire.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:www.kentuckysportsradio.com reports....

- Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson will likely be back for the 'Cats next season.
- Xavier Henry may be following Calipari to Kentucky.
- Michael Avery remains committed to UK after Calipari hire.

XH will be heading to Kansas. IMO. It would be nice to get Henry along with the other guys but I dont see it happening. I Hope I'm wrong.
MVP2 Wrote:XH will be heading to Kansas. IMO. It would be nice to get Henry along with the other guys but I dont see it happening. I Hope I'm wrong.

Henry is reported to have a great relationship with coach Calipari, but also has a great relationship with coach Bill Self. The next month in the recruiting world will be interesting to keep up with.
kybaseball Wrote:For the right thing to do I get what your saying but like Calipari said if you can't play his kind of ball then you need to go somewhere else. It's time to change and might as well start new except fo the two players I mentioned earlier and Miller. It's time to start winning again no time for players that can't get it done.I know it sounds bad but that's the way it more than likely will be.

Here's how I think it will go down (or at least how it should go down)...

Coach Cal meets with all the current players individually. When he talks to those who don't fit well in his system, he tells them, "Look, you are a fine player, but I don't think your style will be a good fit in the system we are going to run. More than likely, you won't be seeing much playing time. If you are okay with sitting the bench because you want to finish your playing career as a Kentucky Wildcat, the scholarship is still yours. But if you have dreams of playing in the NBA, then you should seriously consider transferring to another school where you can get more playing time and showcase yourself for pro scouts."

First off, obviously Meeks, Patterson, and Miller will fit perfectly. Stevenson and Liggins have enough talent to fill bench roles for Calipari. By all accounts, Pilgrim apparently has enough talent to get playing time as well.

Players like Michael Porter and Ramon Harris, who hopefully have no illusions that they have any chance of playing professional basketball, will probably not want to transfer before their senior year. They will likely choose to stay and work hard to earn what playing time they can, and then finish their career next March by being recognized at Senior Day. While neither one is very talented, they are both hard workers and can only help the team by providing senior leadership and by demonstrating a hustling mindset.

Kevin Galloway, while athletic enough to possibly play pro ball overseas, would still likely choose to stay. He will be a senior next year, and after already having been through one transfer (from his junior-college), I don't see him wanting to transfer and sit out a year just to have one more year of eligibility after that.

On the other hand, younger players like A.J. Stewart and Josh Harrelson (both juniors-to-be) and Donald Williams (sophomore-to-be) will probably recognize the chance to earn more playing time somewhere else. They may choose to transfer and have at least two years to impress the pro scouts while taking on more responsibility on a new team.

If no one actually chooses to leave, then I think they may end up telling some players to either walk-on or transfer, just to have room for the incoming recruits. But if this happens, it should be the younger players like Williams, Stewart, and Harrelson first. Not seniors-to-be who have worked their butt off for three years here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
After that novel of a post, I do have one other comment. :biggrin:

Concerning all of UK's commitments for 2010 and beyond (Euton, Zollo, etc.), I don't feel that Calipari has any obligation to honor their earlier verbal commitments. Their commitments were accepted by a coach who is no longer there, and are free to broken by either the player or school.

I feel Calipari should re-evaluate every one of Gillispie's early commitments, and if they aren't up to snuff, tell them and move on. No problems here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MVP2 Wrote:XH will be heading to Kansas. IMO. It would be nice to get Henry along with the other guys but I dont see it happening. I Hope I'm wrong.

:thumpsup:
Quote:First off, obviously Meeks, Patterson, and Miller will fit perfectly. Stevenson and Liggins have enough talent to fill bench roles for Calipari. By all accounts, Pilgrim apparently has enough talent to get playing time as well.

And should be the only ones left from this years squad.
UK coach John Calipari will meet with the current UK players tomorrow.

Expect players to make their decisions on their futures throughout the weekend and during the coming week.
Coach John Calipari also met with the Orton family last night and things "went well". Orton will likely make a decision on whether to stay at UK or reopen his recruitment very soon.
Calipari spoke with '10 commit, Dominique Ferguson Wednesday and Ferguson said he is "strongly considering de-committing" from Kentucky. He went on to say that would like to start the whole recruiting process over, because he feels he and Calipari are strangers to one another since Cal didn't recruit him while at Memphis.

Expect some more news out of Ferguson over the weekend or early next week.
kybaseball Wrote:And should be the only ones left from this years squad.

Why in the world does UK need to chase off all but three returning players? Every school gets 13 scholarship players, so the only reason to get rid of all the other players is if you intend to bring in 10 new recruits next year. Big Grin

I think my example of what I think should happen puts UK in a good situation. If Stewart, Harrelson, and Williams all leave, that gives UK 4 scholarships for next year. Four schollies lets us keep Orton and Hood, and hopefully pick up Cousins and Wall. If Porter decides to call it quits or Galloway leaves, go out and get a couple more for next year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Why in the world does UK need to chase off all but three returning players? Every school gets 13 scholarship players, so the only reason to get rid of all the other players is if you intend to bring in 10 new recruits next year. Big Grin

I think my example of what I think should happen puts UK in a good situation. If Stewart, Harrelson, and Williams all leave, that gives UK 4 scholarships for next year. Four schollies lets us keep Orton and Hood, and hopefully pick up Cousins and Wall. If Porter decides to call it quits or Galloway leaves, go out and get a couple more for next year.

Why in the world would you want to keep players around who will be no benefit? A lot of UK's players will not be able to keep up in practice with the players Calipari will be getting. Thses types of players will bogg the program down.

I say lets agree to dis-agree on this one.:biggrin:
I wonder if any of the scholarship players have a high enough GPA to receive a academic scholarship, which could open up a few more spots.

I agree with you Cowbell on Porter, he has put his time in here at UK, represented our school greatly and deserves to keep his scholarship, but I don't think he can play the 2. If indeed Wall decides to come to Kentucky, don't expect Porter to get much playing time behind Liggins, who I think will be the back up PG in Coach Cal's offense. I just don't think he'll be much more than a practice scrub.