Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turf field for soccer
I really need to say this, but I think it is a shame that the people of Letcher Co Schools will not let the soccer team play on that field. I think that Belfry, Pikeville, and Hazard have shown a lot of class by letting there soccer teams play on the football field. To me they are worried that the field is going to get messed up, and there precious football field will be bad. We would have a great chance of hosting regional and getting a lot of good money for the programs if they was to let them play on Saturdays. There is nothing going on down there on Saturdays so what does it hurt. I know Mondays are freshman games, and Thursday is JV but surely they can let the boys and girls play on it some. I just think it is wrong and the board is being selfish and stubborn.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I really need to say this, but I think it is a shame that the people of Letcher Co Schools will not let the soccer team play on that field. I think that Belfry, Pikeville, and Hazard have shown a lot of class by letting there soccer teams play on the football field. To me they are worried that the field is going to get messed up, and there precious football field will be bad. We would have a great chance of hosting regional and getting a lot of good money for the programs if they was to let them play on Saturdays. There is nothing going on down there on Saturdays so what does it hurt. I know Mondays are freshman games, and Thursday is JV but surely they can let the boys and girls play on it some. I just think it is wrong and the board is being selfish and stubborn.

Agreed.
Not only those teams but South Laurel ,North Laurel , Corbin, and this year Sheldon Clark gets to use the football field.
this is how it is everyone it is sad and i get aggrivated with it just as much as you all do. My senior season we had to fight to use the football field and it took me being really close to the principal at PC at the time to get this done. However, there was one game in particular that was canceled 45 min before kickoff due to they had scheduled a junior high football game on the same night at Pike Central's field which really ticked me off. Another situation I hate is what has been done to Perry Central. The school does not help those kids at all and they have brought more trophys to that school than football. We just have to fight fight fight.
All it does it makes the school look bad when the rest of eastern KY does it right, and they don't.
cougarpride08 Wrote:All it does it makes the school look bad when the rest of eastern KY does it right, and they don't.

Thats right, and no offense to any LCC people but I personally think Hazard has a nicer field and they let their soccer team use it.
#1ukfan Wrote:Thats right, and no offense to any LCC people but I personally think Hazard has a nicer field and they let their soccer team use it.

Highlands lets everyone from elementary school on up to play on their football field, including football and soccer. I feel this helps get kids interested at an early age and helps the high school in the long run. It is also great for the community.
There is no proof that using the football field for soccer will do anything to the field. The school board is just being selfish. There soccer program would be better than it is already. This program is getting better every year and I wish they would just look at what they are doing. AC said in two years we would get a field that is second to none, but until then why don't they just use the field for the kids. There has to be a way.
I think that it only makes the school look bad when they treat the soccer team unfairly. It shows poor judgement on their part. It is ashame that they have to be like that. But what can you do.
It seems to me that these mid and low budget sports have produced a lot this year compared to the big sports.
Since they like Coach Trent over their so much, maybe he should ask if they would let them use the field on Saturdays or something, surely they wouldn't tell him no!
One year we did use it for a couple of games, but it took an act of congress to do it.
cougarpride08 Wrote:All it does it makes the school look bad when the rest of eastern KY does it right, and they don't.

agreed!
I agree but you also have to look who helped raise the money for the feild in johnson county we let football have practice and games and we work around them they were extremely happy because we showed them rspect just give it time they will let you
If the football boosters and others raised the money to build the field and own the property it is on, then they have the right to control its use, but if the school, community or board of education built it the it should be open to all sports with scheduling of its use done by the coaches of the sports intending to use the field.
My question is why would a soccer team want to play on turf? Turf fields have a limited impact on football, but have a significant impact on soccer. You might have a home field advantage because of the way the field runs, but you would struggle with a slower, less consitent natural grass field.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:this is how it is everyone it is sad and i get aggrivated with it just as much as you all do. My senior season we had to fight to use the football field and it took me being really close to the principal at PC at the time to get this done. However, there was one game in particular that was canceled 45 min before kickoff due to they had scheduled a junior high football game on the same night at Pike Central's field which really ticked me off. Another situation I hate is what has been done to Perry Central. The school does not help those kids at all and they have brought more trophys to that school than football. We just have to fight fight fight.

You are right, just keep the topic hot by talking to school board members(help get them voted in), site based members, etc. until you find some that are friendly to your cause.
Corbin will be playing on a new field this year that was built strictly for soccer. The field will be capable of being 120 yards long and 75 yards wide and is going to be very nice when fully completed. The locker rooms will not be ready this year, but hopefully will be by next year. This was a long process that took a lot of hard work and coercing of school officials though.
I keep hearing we are getting one, but they are worried too much about the vocational school.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]