Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Consistent Umpire in the Mountains
Who would you want to call behind home plate?
I think the officiating is really bad this year. This has been one of the worst years I have seen in a long tme for umpires, but I do think a lot of it has to do with not being educated on certain things. Its not just one region, I think for the most part all of the umpires east of lexington are mediocre at best. The 15th I think has the worst by far, then its followed up by the 14th region. So if I had to choose an umpire for behind the plate I would probably have to go to the 13th region and pick one from there because I can't think of one out of the 14th, 15th, or 16th that I would really trust to do a great job behind the plate.
Ross Miller is the man in the 15th, I think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i like brain cook alot hes called most of the games ive watched
Larry Maynard i think is his name they call him sarg. or sumin lol
Don Carol in the 14th, he calls games under two hours, you better be swinging..... ! Hey, at least their not boring.......
firechief Wrote:Don Carol in the 14th, he calls games under two hours, you better be swinging..... ! Hey, at least their not boring.......

Either your president of the Don Carroll fan club or you are the one and only.
sherman14 Wrote:Either your president of the Don Carroll fan club or you are the one and only.

no fan club but this guy is consistent calling balls and strikes. nah, he has called a few of our games so I do get to see him from time to time. He can be a jerk on the field, he keep players and coaches on the edge. I think he should chill out!
John Pratt is one of the most experienced and best around. He takes care of business and don't take any crap from anyone. Great all around umpire, would love to see him in the 54th district this week.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Ross Miller is the man in the 15th, I think.

The best in the 15th are the young umpires who are learning, Robbie Spears and those guys. At least if they make a mistake they make it, some of our umpires want to be seen as part of the game. Umpires should be transparent to the outcome and we cant say that about most of our older umpires.

The shortstop at Perry Central's brother is the best I have seen in years. Consistent strike zones and play calls.
Commanche Wrote:The best in the 15th are the young umpires who are learning, Robbie Spears and those guys. At least if they make a mistake they make it, some of our umpires want to be seen as part of the game. Umpires should be transparent to the outcome and we cant say that about most of our older umpires.

The shortstop at Perry Central's brother is the best I have seen in years. Consistent strike zones and play calls.

Yea he is good, I believe he is a 14th region official
Navajo4life Wrote:I seen a game not to long ago, where the umpire in the field would not move very much. He would stand on the wrong side of the field, he have his shirt un-buttoned showing his chest hair and he would carry his counter in the field... What in the world are they teaching umpires... I have also seen umpires with white shoe laces, umpires that wear tennis shoes etc.... Not very professional if you're asking me..
All umpires are supposed to have their counters with them. The field ump needs to keep up with the count as much as anyone.
Consistency is all I want from an ump. Bad calls are a part of the game and unfortunately, all to often change the complexion of the game and can affect the outcome.
I really don't think that there is an umpire in the 15th that would cheat, but some times they make you wonder!
The Guru Wrote:All umpires are supposed to have their counters with them. The field ump needs to keep up with the count as much as anyone.
Consistency is all I want from an ump. Bad calls are a part of the game and unfortunately, all to often change the complexion of the game and can affect the outcome.
I really don't think that there is an umpire in the 15th that would cheat, but some times they make you wonder!

The counter is a thing in the past, not many veterans will even use them. I probably would say that your most experienced umps will not use a counter.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yea he is good, I believe he is a 14th region official

Brian does have excellent mechanics.
Well, what do they use? Please don't say they keep it in their heads..... If this is the case, then that explains alot. I agree with an earlier post. Umpires are supposed to be transparent to the outcome, however many of us have not seen that as the case, but rather many older gentlemen trying to be the focal point. Heck, one old guy seemed to doing his best "sleeping horse routine" @ one of our games this year. He actually seemed insulted when someone told him to "wake up out there", he had not moved in forever.Wink
firechief Wrote:The counter is a thing in the past, not many veterans will even use them. I probably would say that your most experienced umps will not use a counter.
Are you kiddin' me?
I have thought about it for a second, let me rephrase ..........
Really, are you KIDDING me?
Are you being serious when you say this?

Anyway, I see commanche got all tore up over Ross. I still stand by my opinion that he is the best in the area.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
firechief Wrote:The counter is a thing in the past, not many veterans will even use them. I probably would say that your most experienced umps will not use a counter.
Really???? That's pretty sad.
Sounds like someone thinks they are "above" using a counter.

BTW, the ball/strike/out indicator is still used in the Major Leagues.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Really???? That's pretty sad.
Sounds like someone thinks they are "above" using a counter.

BTW, the ball/strike/out indicator is still used in the Major Leagues.

Gentlemen,
Just for clarification, plate umpires ALWAYS use a counter for balls and strikes. (I have heard stories of plate umpires that do not use a counter, but I've never actually seen it happen.) At HS and college clinics, field umpires are told emphatically NOT to take a counter on the field. I am aware that some umpires carry and use a counter in the field; but according to the instructors, they shouldn't.
KHSAA Blue Wrote:Gentlemen,
Just for clarification, plate umpires ALWAYS use a counter for balls and strikes. (I have heard stories of plate umpires that do not use a counter, but I've never actually seen it happen.) At HS and college clinics, field umpires are told emphatically NOT to take a counter on the field. I am aware that some umpires carry and use a counter in the field; but according to the instructors, they shouldn't.

I don't know what you've been hearing or what clinics you've heard of, but I've NEVER heard anything about field umpires being told emphatically to not use indicators. If anything, I've heard the practice embraced as a way to back up the plate umpire. The plate umpire is just like anyone else in that they can lose the count on such plays as a passed ball and play at the plate or when they take a hard hit from a foul ball and it helps to have someone to ask if needed rather than going to the official book for help, especially at fields with no scoreboard.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Ross Miller is the man in the 15th, I think.

I figured you were voting for yourself. Just giving you a hard time.
NikonD300 Wrote:I don't know what you've been hearing or what clinics you've heard of, but I've NEVER heard anything about field umpires being told emphatically to not use indicators. If anything, I've heard the practice embraced as a way to back up the plate umpire. The plate umpire is just like anyone else in that they can lose the count on such plays as a passed ball and play at the plate or when they take a hard hit from a foul ball and it helps to have someone to ask if needed rather than going to the official book for help, especially at fields with no scoreboard.

NikonD300,
If you don't believe me, call the KHSAA in Lexington and ask to speak to Julian Tackett. Then, ask him if field umpires should (or can) carry ball and strike counters. Then, report back to us.
PS...I agree with your points (which are all good ones), but not only have I "heard" of clinics, I'll actually attended them (HS and college) when the same question has been asked. The answer has always been a universal NO. Youth leagues (such as LL) encourage one of the base umpires to carry a counter as a backup to the plate umpire, but it's just not done on the HS and college level. I know that some do, but I would hate to be them if it got back to Mr. Tackett. :ChairHit:
NikonD300, KHSAA Blue is exactly right, the high school clinic and College Clinic that I have attended only last year, put a great deal of emphasis on field umpires not using counters.. If a pitcher needs the count, they need to come to the UIC (Umpire in Chief) for the count, if something happens and the home plate umpire forgets the count or is mixed up with the count, then he is to go to the official score book to get the count...

In my association in high school and college, if a field umpire is caught using a counter, he could be suspended for a game or two, depending on how many times that this has happened. Also, he will NOT receive a good evaluation..
13th Region: Brad Lambdin, Jeff Ely, Don White. They are the same today , tomorrow and everyday. They are as good as anyone in the state.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Are you kiddin' me?
I have thought about it for a second, let me rephrase ..........
Really, are you KIDDING me?
Are you being serious when you say this?

Anyway, I see commanche got all tore up over Ross. I still stand by my opinion that he is the best in the area.

I hope you are kidding, he is not in the top 5 in the region.
Commanche Wrote:The best in the 15th are the young umpires who are learning, Robbie Spears and those guys. At least if they make a mistake they make it, some of our umpires want to be seen as part of the game. Umpires should be transparent to the outcome and we cant say that about most of our older umpires.

Best I've seen.
KHSAA Blue Wrote:NikonD300,
If you don't believe me, call the KHSAA in Lexington and ask to speak to Julian Tackett. Then, ask him if field umpires should (or can) carry ball and strike counters. Then, report back to us.
PS...I agree with your points (which are all good ones), but not only have I "heard" of clinics, I'll actually attended them (HS and college) when the same question has been asked. The answer has always been a universal NO. Youth leagues (such as LL) encourage one of the base umpires to carry a counter as a backup to the plate umpire, but it's just not done on the HS and college level. I know that some do, but I would hate to be them if it got back to Mr. Tackett. :ChairHit:

Please take none of what I've said as an insult. I'm not questioning your credability or knowledge and I appoligize if I came across that way, but the (few) clinics that I have attended it was not addressed in the negative. I didn't mean to come across as a know-it-all, sorry if I did.
Commanche Wrote:I hope you are kidding, he is not in the top 5 in the region.
Ask his peers. They will tell you completely different.
The most important people to have respecting you are the ones you work with. Not the people in the bleachers who are gonna complain either way.
Spears has been doing a great job in the 57th tourney so far.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Ask his peers. They will tell you completely different.
The most important people to have respecting you are the ones you work with. Not the people in the bleachers who are gonna complain either way.
Spears has been doing a great job in the 57th tourney so far.

I am not so sure, if you are a crook you dont want to be judged by crooks. Ross and Pete stunk up the plate last night in the 57th games. Both are interested in being seen only, time for both of them to torment the Mid South Conference and quit doing it to the 15th. I doulbt the Mid South will have them back anyway, we are probably stuck. You are right Robbie was consistent.
14thregionrules Wrote:i like brain cook alot hes called most of the games ive watched

Did you attend the game at Hazard last night? Wymt was their and the big call at home on the swipe tag was put on the news, Cook calls a boy out and the tag wasn't even close, should of been safe. Took Perry out of a POSSIBLE BIG inning. Hazard wins 8-6, guess he was in a hurry to get home. Not the only one he missed in the last two days either. PITIFUL. :devilflam
Commanche Wrote:I am not so sure, if you are a crook you dont want to be judged by crooks. Ross and Pete stunk up the plate last night in the 57th games. Both are interested in being seen only, time for both of them to torment the Mid South Conference and quit doing it to the 15th. I doulbt the Mid South will have them back anyway, we are probably stuck. You are right Robbie was consistent.

I agree with you that Ross is a joke, but the sad thing is that he could very well be in the top 5 in the region. That is how bad the region has gotten with it officials. I mean think about it, it has gotten so bad we are using up a thread to talk about just how bad they really are, haha! The fact that Ross represented as down at state last year is embarrassing, and if you ask the fans of Apollo they will tell you he will never do another game of theirs.