Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Greatest NBA Center of all-time
and WHY.

Let's put together our own GREATEST team, and start with the big-men first. Now guys, bring me your reason's why, because I am sure to challenge you!:biggrin:

I'll start the list, you can either rank them or add/delete, or just comment on anyone's choices.

This is not my ranking, that will come later. But this is who I feel is in the top 5:

- Shaq
- Bill Russell
- Wilt Chamberlain
- Moses Malone
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Stardust Wrote:and WHY.

Let's put together our own GREATEST team, and start with the big-men first. Now guys, bring me your reason's why, because I am sure to challenge you!:biggrin:

I'll start the list, you can either rank them or add/delete, or just comment on anyone's choices.

This is not my ranking, that will come later. But this is who I feel is in the top 5:

- Shaq
- Bill Russell
- Wilt Chamberlain
- Moses Malone
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Shaq
5. Moses Malone

I think Wilt is far ahead of the others, but 2-4 were hard to choose, and 5 isn't really as high of a class as the other 4.
I have to go with Wilt Chamberlain.
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabar
3. Shaq
Shaq....he changed the game of basketball.
wilt played with a totally different class of people and wouldnt be much of A factor against shaq, i have to go with shaq i mean, goals are now shaq proof lol
Shaq!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaq, he put on a show, he showed hoe the position was supposed to be played, he was a physical freak on the court. He changed the way the Center position will forever be played.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:wilt played with a totally different class of people and wouldnt be much of A factor against shaq, i have to go with shaq i mean, goals are now shaq proof lol
Shattered backboards were made famous by Daryl Dawkins , not Shaq, if that is what you are trying to get at..

About how many times did you actually see Wilt play anyways? Matter of fact, how many that have posted in this thread has ever seen any of these guys (other than Shaq) ever play in a live game? Other than Stardust, I'm going to guess oh, probably somewhere around..................... zero. haha

I'll go with Russell.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Shattered backboards were made famous by Daryl Dawkins , not Shaq, if that is what you are trying to get at..

About how many times did you actually see Wilt play anyways? Matter of fact, how many that have posted in this thread has ever seen any of these guys (other than Shaq) ever play in a live game? Other than Stardust, I'm going to guess oh, probably somewhere around..................... zero. haha

I'll go with Russell.

:Thumbs:
A lot of comments about how the game was changed by each player, and some very good points.

Mr. Kimball is dead-on, and for those who only know Shaq, I can understand why you would put him as the most dominate player of all-time. However, that has to go to Wilt Chamberlain. He was a complete freak of nature, just like Shaq, when he came into the league. He completely physically dominated the opposition (with the exception of Russell) and imposed a will on the rest of the league that could be matched by no-one else in the history of the game. This was during a time that Big men were nothing more than space eaters and rebounder's. Wilt brought every aspect to the game.

For pure defense, the greatest Center has to be Russell. The only player that Bill could not dominate on the defensive end and out-rebound was Wilt. However, in championship games, Russell completely out performed Wilt. He won games, and more importantly he won championships (11 to be exact).

Don't underestimate Moses Malone. For the Centers that played against him, everyone of them said he was the most fierce competitor to ever play the game. No one dominated the offensive boards like he did. He was the 2nd player ever to come straight out of High-School and enter the professional ranks. He had the greatest outlet pass of any big-man in the history of the game.

For me, the greatest to play the game was Kareem. Kareem played against every player in this list except Russell. He outperformed every player on this list, including a young Shaq. Though Kareem was not a physically dominate player, he was exceptionally strong.

The facts about Kareem: All-time leading scorer; 6 NBA titles; 6 time MVP; The only player ever to lead the league in Scoring/Rebounding/Blocked Shots/Field-Goal % in a single season.

He was the best player on his team, teams that included 2 other top 5 greatest players of all time Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson. He had the most unstoppable shot in NBA history in the Sky-Hook, a shot that he perfected and one that has never been duplicated again. He ran they floor, he was the best center in the league defensively, he more than any center in the history of the game took every aspect of the position and was the BEST!
I have to agree with stardust. Kareem is easily the greatest center of all time. He had an amazing all around game. However, I have always been a big fan of Shaq as well. He is a monster.
The thing that made Kareem succeed in the NBA. Was that he ran the floor very well for a big man. And he had the one and only sky-hook. And there wasn't a person that could stop him when he was on with his sky-hook.
All the Center's mentioned are no doubt the best, but here are some others not listed above.

1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Bill Walton
3. David Robinson
4. George Miken
5. Patrick Ewing
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:All the Center's mentioned are no doubt the best, but here are some others not listed above.

1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Bill Walton
3. David Robinson
4. George Miken
5. Patrick Ewing

I don't even know anything about George Miken :biggrin:
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:All the Center's mentioned are no doubt the best, but here are some others not listed above.

1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Bill Walton
3. David Robinson
4. George Miken
5. Patrick Ewing

I think Olajuwon belongs in the top 5.
Stardust Wrote:I don't even know anything about George Miken :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mikan
Willis Reed
True Wilt and Russel Was Monsters, but didnt they mostly play against 6,4 white guys?
Bill Russell
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain
Moses Malone
runninrebs21 Wrote:1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Shaq
5. Moses Malone

I think Wilt is far ahead of the others, but 2-4 were hard to choose, and 5 isn't really as high of a class as the other 4.

PERFECT!!:1:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:True Wilt and Russel Was Monsters, but didnt they mostly play against 6,4 white guys?

Nope.
MisterPerfect Wrote:The thing that made Kareem succeed in the NBA. Was that he ran the floor very well for a big man. And he had the one and only sky-hook. And there wasn't a person that could stop him when he was on with his sky-hook.
Except for Wilt. I have actually saw him block some of those sky hooks.
Stardust Wrote:A lot of comments about how the game was changed by each player, and some very good points.

Mr. Kimball is dead-on, and for those who only know Shaq, I can understand why you would put him as the most dominate player of all-time. However, that has to go to Wilt Chamberlain. He was a complete freak of nature, just like Shaq, when he came into the league. He completely physically dominated the opposition (with the exception of Russell) and imposed a will on the rest of the league that could be matched by no-one else in the history of the game. This was during a time that Big men were nothing more than space eaters and rebounder's. Wilt brought every aspect to the game.

For pure defense, the greatest Center has to be Russell. The only player that Bill could not dominate on the defensive end and out-rebound was Wilt. However, in championship games, Russell completely out performed Wilt. He won games, and more importantly he won championships (11 to be exact).

Don't underestimate Moses Malone. For the Centers that played against him, everyone of them said he was the most fierce competitor to ever play the game. No one dominated the offensive boards like he did. He was the 2nd player ever to come straight out of High-School and enter the professional ranks. He had the greatest outlet pass of any big-man in the history of the game.

For me, the greatest to play the game was Kareem. Kareem played against every player in this list except Russell. He outperformed every player on this list, including a young Shaq. Though Kareem was not a physically dominate player, he was exceptionally strong.

The facts about Kareem: All-time leading scorer; 6 NBA titles; 6 time MVP; The only player ever to lead the league in Scoring/Rebounding/Blocked Shots/Field-Goal % in a single season.

He was the best player on his team, teams that included 2 other top 5 greatest players of all time Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson. He had the most unstoppable shot in NBA history in the Sky-Hook, a shot that he perfected and one that has never been duplicated again. He ran they floor, he was the best center in the league defensively, he more than any center in the history of the game took every aspect of the position and was the BEST!
Hey Dusty, I noticed you didn't throw the name of Lew Alcindor out there. Lets see what some of the younger guys think about him. How would he have faired against the likes of Chamberlain, Kareem, or Shaq ?

What's your thoughts Wildcat? Where does he fit in?
Stardust Wrote:A lot of comments about how the game was changed by each player, and some very good points.

and I think we have a winner :worthy: lol
Lew Alcindor WAS Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar...
Ill go with:
Russell
Jabbar
Moses Malone
Shaq
Olajuwon
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Hey Dusty, I noticed you didn't throw the name of Lew Alcindor out there. Lets see what some of the younger guys think about him. How would he have faired against the likes of Chamberlain, Kareem, or Shaq ?

What's your thoughts Wildcat? Where does he fit in?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alcindor vs Jabbar would be a tough match-up!! LOL
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Lew Alcindor WAS Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar...
Ill go with:
Russell
Jabbar
Moses Malone
Shaq
Olajuwon

Ah, your kiddin!!!!TongueirateSho

I assume you are not one of the youngsters (primaily wildcat23) that the question was aimed at to try to stump. haha

Artis Gilmore wasn't too shabby either. Nobody has mentioned him. Played most of his prime years in the ABA, but had some good years in the NBA as well.
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:Alcindor vs Jabbar would be a tough match-up!! LOL

Ya reckon?:biggrin:
Stardust, I have to disagree with you on one point. The greatest outlet pass in the game ever belonged to Wes Unseld