Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville-2006
I look for Coach Lawson to win his 5th 15 Region Title this upcoming season in the past 9 years. The 15th Region as a whole will be down this year but can anyone knock off the Panthers this year? I don't see it with the pitching the Panthers return. While this years team will not be near as strong as the other 4 teams that Lawson won the regional tournament with I still expect them to be a good team and the best team in the 15th region. I expect Johnson Central, Paintsville, Lawrence County, Sheldon Clark, and Allen Central to have good teams, but IMO Pikeville will come out on top again.
My only question about the Panthers is the defense and hitting they lost. Losing their catcher and entire starting infield will be hard to over come. Not to mention 7 of their top 8 hitters.
its gonna be hard to replace the hitting and infield but some of the younger gys are gonna have to step up like griffen hall to play second or short and watson richie to play third replacing chad walls and some other people to step up in the pitching staff
It's going to be a big challenge for the Panthers....but as usual, they have the depth to keep it going :thumb: That's what good feeder programs will do for ya!
Pikeville did lose a lot, but IMO, pitching is the #1 key to having a winning team, and once you get that, you can build around it. Pikeville, despite all they lost, still has one of the best pitching staffs in the 15th Region. Huffman, Carter, and Anderson are 3 awesome pitchers. I think the defense and hitting you all are referring to will com in time. Coach Lawson knows baseball, and will have his Panthers in the hunt come June. Pikeville is still #1 in the 15th Region, and will once again contend for yet another region title.
They should be good again this season, they have excellent pitching.
They'll be good, but I'll be surprised if Lawson can win the region with a team that's not ridiculously stacked with star seniors....
Lawson won the title in 98 with 1 star senior and about 3 or 4 star juniors. I agree with you though, if Lawson wins the region this year it probably will be his best coaching job.
Who's going to be the assistant?
I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Lawson's brother Micky joins the staff.
He no longer the coach at ER?
Doc, his father, told me he wasn't...that was back in August.
Alfus has alwasy loved to knock Coach Lawson.....sour grapes, maybe?? Only he really knows......... Hey Alfus....nothing like experience. Look at MOST championship teams...a lot of older players. Not just Lawson.

Mickey Lawson will be on the staff this year. So will Steve Priode. Losing Jason Howell will be hard to replace, but these are two very qualified assistant coaches.
"PantherFan" Wrote:Alfus has alwasy loved to knock Coach Lawson.....sour grapes, maybe?? Only he really knows......... Hey Alfus....nothing like experience. Look at MOST championship teams...a lot of older players. Not just Lawson.

Mickey Lawson will be on the staff this year. So will Steve Priode. Losing Jason Howell will be hard to replace, but these are two very qualified assistant coaches.

No sour grapes, I'm just not willing to throw him in the Baseball Hall of Fame yet for winning some regional championships that about anybody could have done with the teams he has had. It's nothing against him because I believe he is a good coach but he's not really had to actually 'coach' these teams but just put them on the field and let them do the work....Either way, I still say if Pikeville wins this year it will be his best coaching job
Alfus. You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. In 98, they defeated Johnson Central who had the best team all year long in the region and most talent. They defeated a pitcher who was 9-0 and had signed with Morehead State. And Pikeville had a catcher that couldn't even throw it back to the pitcher.

In 99, they had to defeat Johnson Central in the opening round at their home park. A JC team that had 2 dominant left-handed pitcher.

In 2002, they defeated Paintsville and the best pitcher to come through the region in a while in Chas Harmon.

In 05, they had to beat Paintsville at their HOME PARK in the regional finals with Paintsville's ace on the hill. And Lawson did a great job with his pitchers saving Justin Anderson for the final game when the WHOLE WORLD would have saved Huffman.

Lawson has won 4 regions. Had a lot of talent. But to just say that he could have thrown them on the field and won shows your ingorance about competitive sports.

By the way, those two wins over Paintsville in the finals in 02 and 05 were the ONLY two times Charlie Adkins ever lost in the finals.

Lawson is certainly not Hall of Fame coach yet, but he is well on his way. Who is qualified for the Hall of Fame after only 8 years????
I remember Alf and I having a huge disagrement over this once Smile That's his belief on Lawson, and trust me, impossible to change it :thumb:
Well......everyone is entitled to his/her belief. If that's the case, Beef, i'll drop it. I think i made a good point myself though!
"PantherFan" Wrote:Alfus. You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. In 98, they defeated Johnson Central who had the best team all year long in the region and most talent. They defeated a pitcher who was 9-0 and had signed with Morehead State. And Pikeville had a catcher that couldn't even throw it back to the pitcher.

In 99, they had to defeat Johnson Central in the opening round at their home park. A JC team that had 2 dominant left-handed pitcher.

In 2002, they defeated Paintsville and the best pitcher to come through the region in a while in Chas Harmon.

In 05, they had to beat Paintsville at their HOME PARK in the regional finals with Paintsville's ace on the hill. And Lawson did a great job with his pitchers saving Justin Anderson for the final game when the WHOLE WORLD would have saved Huffman.

Lawson has won 4 regions. Had a lot of talent. But to just say that he could have thrown them on the field and won shows your ingorance about competitive sports.

By the way, those two wins over Paintsville in the finals in 02 and 05 were the ONLY two times Charlie Adkins ever lost in the finals.

Lawson is certainly not Hall of Fame coach yet, but he is well on his way. Who is qualified for the Hall of Fame after only 8 years????

I dont remember the 90's titles, but in 2002 Lawson had I think 10 seniors on that team, all of which were unbelievable...No excuse not to win the region with a team like that...Nick Roberts, Jamie Anderson, Ryan Mccoy, and so on...Pikeville went 26-11 that year and were the favorites all year, so Chas Harmon wasn't that big of a deal to that Pikeville team, even though Paintsville spanked them earlier in the year, Lawson knew he could beat them if and when he wanted...

In 2005 it was an almost exact situation...How many starters were seniors last season for Pikeville...I think 7 were? That team was also stacked with awesome players...Everybody knew Pikeville would win it last year after Johnson Central fell apart so beating Paintsville who wasn't that great last season wasn't a big deal once again...

What about in 2004 when Lawson had a stacked team and just assumed he would be in the regional championsip and overlooked Johnson Central..A 30 win team that didn't win the region because of a huge coaching mistake..Someone on the team even told me Lawson screwed that one up for them..

What about in 2003, when Lawson had a 16-17 record? That's not bad at all, but all I'm saying is that shows how dominant that 2002 team really was...They were almost unbeatable...Along with the 2005 team...He might have done a great job in the 90's but I was just going by those 2 titles in saying it wasn't exactly a challenge to win with those teams...

2001-Had a great team and didn't even go to regional tournament...Overlooked Shelby Valley by not starting the ace of the staff and it cost him...

2000-Don't know a lot about the team except that they lost to Shelby Valley twice that season and lost to Belfry in the opening round of the regional tournament..Not saying those are bad things, but once again maybe that shows how good the 99 team really was...

Dont try to make it sound like Pikeville was the underdog in any of those games they won in route of winning those titles because they have been the favorites in all the years they've won it, and been the favorite in many years they havent...

I will say he's a good coach, but he's not great by any means as of yet...He gets too much credit for what the Little League and Senior League programs have done at Pikeville, because by the time they get to him they're already great players...
Alfus,

The last statement just proved that you have it in for Coach. You stated that by the time they get to him, they are great players. Shows just how LITTLE you know. If they are great when they get there, they why can't they win until they are seniors?? Maybe it takes that long to teach them how to play.....ever think of it like that??

And it is SO unfair to say a coach screws up just because his team doesn't win the championship. That is like saying Pitino has only been a good coach once. One national title. TUbby only was a good once one. Bob KNight was only a good coach 3 times. Joe Torre only 5 times out of about 30 as a manager. Mike Hall of Johnson Central, a Hall of Fame coach and state-wide respected, only won 4 in over 30 years of coaching.

Coach Lawson is the best coach in the region. He does a great job year in and year out. He is respected in wide circles with other coaches. Despite what you say, and you say you don't remember the teams of the 90's, he has won the region without the best talent. Just because you think they are favorites doesn't mean they are........

Help me Beef........this is driving me crazy!!!!!
Since you're getting frustrated, and asking for help I can see that this arguement is over..There's no need in us saying the same things over and over again...I have my opinion and you have yours..Neither is going to change..Arguement over...Simple as that..
Yes, since you proved yourself wrong on the post you made before your last, then it is over.
Quote: [QUOTE="PantherFan"]Alfus,
Mike Hall of Johnson Central, a Hall of Fame coach and state-wide respected, only won 4 in over 30 years of coaching.
I think that Mike Hall is the coach at Sheldon Clark. I believe that Johnson Central's Hall of Fame coach was Mike Collins.
PantherFan....looks like you just lost Smile....but you can't change Alfus' opinion on the matter....trust me...I've tried and tried :thumb:
[QUOTE="alfus21"]

What about in 2004 when Lawson had a stacked team and just assumed he would be in the regional championsip and overlooked Johnson Central..A 30 win team that didn't win the region because of a huge coaching mistake..Someone on the team even told me Lawson screwed that one up for them..

I didn't see the game but from what I understand, Lawson pitched Chase Huffman against Adam Blanton in the regional tournament. Blanton was one of the best pitchers in the state that year and Huffman was Pikeville's best, so I dont understand how you say he overlooked Johnson Central. He just plain old got beat by a better pitcher.
"ChillyWilly" Wrote:[QUOTE="alfus21"]

I didn't see the game but from what I understand, Lawson pitched Chase Huffman against Adam Blanton in the regional tournament. Blanton was one of the best pitchers in the state that year and Huffman was Pikeville's best, so I dont understand how you say he overlooked Johnson Central. He just plain old got beat by a better pitcher.

I thought Hunter Smith was Pikevilles best pitcher that year? Anyways the time has passed and you're late..Time to talk Pikeville Baseball 2006....
Exactly Alf....so what do they look like next season? Who should be the starters?
C - ?
1st - ?
2nd - Anderson
SS - Hall
3rd - ?
Right - ?
Center - Robinson?
Left - ?
Pitchers - Carter - Anderson - Huffman - ?
"Beef" Wrote:Exactly Alf....so what do they look like next season? Who should be the starters?
C - ?
1st - ?
2nd - Anderson
SS - Hall
3rd - ?
Right - ?
Center - Robinson?
Left - ?
Pitchers - Carter - Anderson - Huffman - ?

I dont know enough about who is returning to even begin feeling that in...That's a lot of positions to feel in...Will Anderson be playing 2nd or 3rd next season? Either way I'm sure theres a lot of talent on the team that will be willing to step up and show they can play...Pikeville will have a great defense, that's a given..But offense could hurt them down the stretch..
They still win be very tough to play with due to their pitchin, but im sure if teams did hit their pitchers that there defense will be playin good enough to make the play.
Defense seems to always be the key at Pikeville :thumb:
yeah