Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Championships by Class
I was wandering which classes you all would rank as the toughest and easiest to win in. I figured we could go 1-6 and rank em all. 1 being the toughest and 6 the easiest.

from hardest to easiest for 2009.
1. 5A... Highlands got a luck on it year in and year out not... I don't see tomany teams in 5A that can beat them....
2. 6A
3. 4A
4. 2A
5. 3A
6. 1A
What is Highlands actual enrollment?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Don't know actual numbers but 3A so under 400 boys.
Highlands is 5A not 3A. I wish they was.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Highlands is 5A not 3A. I wish they was.

highlands plays 5a but has the enrollment of a 3a school. they should be a 3a school, but they choose to play up in competition.
I believe that John Hardin is the largest 5A school with a 2 year avg boys enrollment of 678.5 boys. Not sure if Highlands is the smallest but their enrollment avg is 415.5. I know they petitioned to play up because of travel. More schools in Covington are 5A than any other class so they chose to not have to travel so far to play their district games.
phdballer Wrote:I believe that John Hardin is the largest 5A school with a 2 year avg boys enrollment of 678.5 boys. Not sure if Highlands is the smallest but their enrollment avg is 415.5. I know they petitioned to play up because of travel. More schools in Covington are 5A than any other class so they chose to not have to travel so far to play their district games.

Bingo. When the KHSAA last re-aligned, Highlands would have been a 3A school (maybe the largest or second to largest). There were no other 3A schools in N. Ky. There was one 4A school (but only one). To save travel time and costs, both Highlands and the 4A school (CovCath) requested to move up to 5A.

The next time they re-align, Highlands will probably be a 4A school (one of the smallest ones). I assume the KHSAA will continue to allow geographically isolated teams to move up. If they do and there is only one other 4A school in N. Ky, I again assume they'll allow Highlands to continue to play in 5A.
1.1a (try and coach with the number of kids some coaches have)
2.6a
3.5a
4.3a
5.4a
6.2a
devilhorns05 Wrote:1.1a (try and coach with the number of kids some coaches have)
2.6a
3.5a
4.3a
5.4a
6.2a

I'm sorry but I just don't understand your post. Could you just really simplfy it so us barely there football fans could understand it.
Yes I don't understand.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

okay basically what I mean is that I feel 1as the toughest class because they dont have nearly as much kids other classes have the facilitys arnet as great(some are) they dont have the funds and the list goes on and on. So for a coach to beable to get a school to compete year in and year out it takes alot of work by the kids, coaches and the entire town. Overall with all the behind the scene stuff 1a is the toughest class in my book.
devilhorns05 Wrote:okay basically what I mean is that I feel 1as the toughest class because they dont have nearly as much kids other classes have the facilitys arnet as great(some are) they dont have the funds and the list goes on and on. So for a coach to beable to get a school to compete year in and year out it takes alot of work by the kids, coaches and the entire town. Overall with all the behind the scene stuff 1a is the toughest class in my book.

IF IF im not mistaken this is probly why beechwood is so prominent, they are a private school i believe or in a rich area, and have alot of support and players enroll frommthe area. this way they do not have the same controversies as other 1A teams, making it VERY easy to win a championship year in and year out.

6A has to 2 top teams in the NATION year in and Year out with trinity and St.X. it is nearly impossible for another team to dethrone these teams thats currently in 6A. Highlands could possible beat one of the big dogs, but only because they are so stacked this year ranking 24th on the national polls. 6A would have to be the hardest, not just because of St.X and Trinity, but the overall competition on the 6a level.

5A, no one will stop highlands this year.

3A Packed with tons of D-1 Recruits from every side of the state, L. central is still very much a powerhouse, breathitt from the east is strong, union from the west is loaded. this will be a dog fight to the finish.

2A- Fort Cambell should still be on top of the game, but with some strong competitors as they loose alot of key players. but over all id say it would be harder to get past Fortcambell and newport catholic, that any team in 4A or 1A.

4A- No real standout teams, boyle county has alot of returning players, but other than that its a toss up. Also this is the only class that hasnt had a repeat in their champion the past 2 years, its always topsy turny and really its not all that rough until the very end.

1A- Beechwood will most likely make another great run, but have some good competition. this class just doesnt have the numbers to beat any other class on how tough it is to win a champion.
UCFB Wrote:IF IF im not mistaken this is probly why beechwood is so prominent, they are a private school i believe or in a rich area, and have alot of support and players enroll frommthe area. this way they do not have the same controversies as other 1A teams, making it VERY easy to win a championship year in and year out.

6A has to 2 top teams in the NATION year in and Year out with trinity and St.X. it is nearly impossible for another team to dethrone these teams thats currently in 6A. Highlands could possible beat one of the big dogs, but only because they are so stacked this year ranking 24th on the national polls. 6A would have to be the hardest, not just because of St.X and Trinity, but the overall competition on the 6a level.

3A Packed with tons of D-1 Recruits from every side of the state, L. central is still very much a powerhouse, breathitt from the east is strong, union from the west is loaded. this will be a dog fight to the finish.

2A- Fort Cambell should still be on top of the game, but with some strong competitors as they loose alot of key players. but over all id say it would be harder to get past Fortcambell and newport catholic, that any team in 4A or 1A.

4A- No real standout teams, boyle county has alot of returning players, but other than that its a toss up. Also this is the only class that hasnt had a repeat in their champion the past 2 years, its always topsy turny and really its not all that rough until the very end.

1A- Beechwood will most likely make another great run, but have some good competition. this class just doesnt have the numbers to beat any other class on how tough it is to win a champion.

Beechwood is a public, independent school, but you are right it is located in a wealthy community. Absolutely great community involvement, financial and otherwise. Recently installed artificial turf which was paid for by donations. Grades K-12 are located in one building and the kids from K on are "brainwashed" on Beechwood football.

From what I'm hearing, Beechwood is supposed to be really down this year (and that's even coming from Beechwood fans). But they are always good; just not sure if they will be good enough to win state. this year.
The original question is which classes are the toughtest and easiest to win. That said, you have so say 6A because nobody can run with X and T. Followed closely by 5A. Then you would have to look at the small privats as having an advantage over small publics. I think 2A is right in the middle. Easiest, by far, is 3A and 4A IMO.
I rank'em like this
6A
5A
1A
2A
3A
4A
UCFB Wrote:IF IF im not mistaken this is probly why beechwood is so prominent, they are a private school i believe or in a rich area, and have alot of support and players enroll frommthe area. this way they do not have the same controversies as other 1A teams, making it VERY easy to win a championship year in and year out.

Well I don't know about 4A having just one standout such as Boyle. There is also Bell County, Lexington Catholic and they have both won state titles in the old classification as well. Bell has been a powerhouse for many years not bad for an all county school.
6A should be named "Saint X and Trinity class".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:6A should be named "Saint X and Trinity class".

hAha I cant wait till someone knocks them off.
devilhorns05 Wrote:hAha I cant wait till someone knocks them off.

they should comprise a team of all the best players in classes 1-5A, to play the two teams.
I can't either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

when was the last time t or x was in the boys sweet 16? anybody know.
Theres going to be 4 classes that have 3-peats. Central and Highlands will win their classes until they get sick of it.
Harry Doyle Wrote:Theres going to be 4 classes that have 3-peats. Central and Highlands will win their classes until they get sick of it.

not so sure on central ..hignlands more than likely.
6A
4A- is tougher than 5A top to bottom with the exception of Highlands.
Bell,Boyle, Lex.Cath.
5A- noone to challenge Highlands
3A- Best Mountain teams rivalries but then there's Central looming in the midst.
2A- Fort Campbell or N.C.C., Corbin, Really whoelse?
1A- Beechwood and then whoever makes it to play Beechwood.
cougarpride08 Wrote:6A should be named "Saint X and Trinity class".

They are 7A
3a its central hands down, they put a whoopin on breathitt last year and I look for them to do the same if its Breathitt,Belfry or someone else this year!
They need to call it super class.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

If Highlands was in 4A it would be a harder road for them. Bell, Boyle, Lex Cath.
charlie22 Wrote:Beechwood is a public, independent school, but you are right it is located in a wealthy community. Absolutely great community involvement, financial and otherwise. Recently installed artificial turf which was paid for by donations. Grades K-12 are located in one building and the kids from K on are "brainwashed" on Beechwood football.

From what I'm hearing, Beechwood is supposed to be really down this year (and that's even coming from Beechwood fans). But they are always good; just not sure if they will be good enough to win state. this year.

Beechwood doesn't rebuild...they reload. They will be very good again this year and right there when December comes around. I think the few people who said they weren't going to be very good this year may have been sandbagging a little.

central fan Wrote:when was the last time t or x was in the boys sweet 16? anybody know.

Trinity made the boys sweet 16 in 03/04 when they lost to Mason Co in triple OT in the second round.

St X. hasn't been in quite some time. They simply aren't a basketball school.

P.C.Defense Wrote:If Highlands was in 4A it would be a harder road for them. Bell, Boyle, Lex Cath.

Highlands would walk through 4A too...none of those schools listed can compete with Highlands year in and year out. See last year as a perfect example when Highlands beat Lexcath 41-0 during the regular season and the year before when they beat LC 32-9 and LC ended up winning the state title.

Boyle County beat Highlands twice in 2003 and Lexcath beat Highlands once in 2005...other than those two years, neither has beaten the Birds this decade. 5A is much more competitive than 4A.

Christian Co and Johnson Central both likely would have won the 4A state championship this past year over Bell Co.