Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama seeks to rally support for health care bill
WASHINGTON - Six months in office, President Barack Obama sought Wednesday night to rally support for sweeping health care legislation he's struggling to push through Congress, expressing support for a surtax on families making more than $1 million a year to help pay for it.

Under pressure from Democrats to weigh in personally on the details of legislation, Obama also vowed at a prime-time news conference to reject any measure "primarily funded through taxing middle-class families."

While the session was dominated by health care, Obama said in response to one question that Cambridge, Mass., police "acted stupidly" last week in arresting Henry Louis Gates Jr., a black scholar at Harvard, in his house. Police were called to the house to investigate a possible break-in. Gates produced identification but was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct after protesting the police conduct.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32088107/ns/...ite_house/

This from Obama's press conference tonight.
After telling the house and senate he wanted it on his desk by August, he is now wanting it done by the end of the year.

Funny thing is that he can't seem to get the democrats to vote for his plan.

He made the comment about the police acting stupidly, just after he said he didn't know all of the facts.
Old School Wrote:After telling the house and senate he wanted it on his desk by August, he is now wanting it done by the end of the year.

Funny thing is that he can't seem to get the democrats to vote for his plan.

He made the comment about the police acting stupidly, just after he said he didn't know all of the facts.

"Obama also vowed at a prime-time news conference to reject any measure "primarily funded through taxing middle-class families."

"Obama said in response to one question that Cambridge, Mass., police "acted stupidly" last week in arresting Henry Louis Gates Jr., a black scholar at Harvard, in his house. Police were called to the house to investigate a possible break-in. Gates produced identification but was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct after protesting the police conduct.

"Now I don't know, not having been there, what role race played in that," the president said. But he added that blacks and Latinos often are stopped by authorities in disproportionate numbers They did act stupidly and he is correct when he says blacks and latinos are stopped in disproportionate numbers. He also said he didn't want to tax the middle class to fund his health reform, are you rights wanting taxed? No matter what Obama does, the right will *****. Garner some support from democrats(which it will take) in 3 1/2 years and put him out.
Hilary is going to help him????? LOL
Stardust Wrote:Hilary is going to help him????? LOL
The country was in pretty good shape under Bill. I do hope we as a country never get back to the spending that we did before.
Regardless of whcihever health care plan that is approved, I think it should be mandatory that all federal emplyees including Senate and House members be covered by the plan they approve.
Old School Wrote:Regardless of whichever health care plan that is approved, I think it should be mandatory that all federal employees including Senate and House members be covered by the plan they approve.

I think you are absolutely right, and I agree, but I doubt if they will make it mandatory, but I hope they do !!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can there be any doubt that Obama and the dems want single payer universal health care.

The video shows in 2003 Obama said he was a proponent of single payer universal health care.

Again in 2007 Obama said he invisions universal health care and eliminate private insurers in 15 or 20 years.

http://www.breitbart.tv/uncovered-video-...insurance/
Ever wonder why the unions are working so hard to pass Obama's healthcare plan? Here are 10,000,000,000 reasons.

From the Detroit Free Press
WASHINGTON -- Antilabor forces say it's welfare for the UAW and Democrats' union allies. Labor supporters say it falls short of what's needed as tens of thousands of union members are pushed into early retirement as employers cut back health care coverage.

They're both talking about a $10-billion provision tucked deep inside thousands of pages of health care overhaul bills that could help the UAW's retiree health-care plan and other union-backed plans.

It would see the government -- at least temporarily -- pay 80 cents on the dollar to corporate and union insurance plans for claims between $15,000 and $90,000 for retirees age 55 to 64.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090824/BU...n-retirees

What happened to all the money paid by union members?

From the Detroit Free Press Editorial Board
One reason the public so distrusts the health care plan being considered by Congress is that so many troublesome details keep bubbling out of the massive legislation.
The latest example is the $10 billion taxpayers will be asked to shell out to prop up the United Auto Workers' retiree health insurance program.

That provision is tucked deep into the bill passed by the House.

In effect, it would ask every taxpayer, regardless of whether they'll have health insurance coverage themselves after they retire -- and most won't -- to chip in to maintain the UAW's coverage, which even after the union's givebacks is still better than what the average American worker receives.

Taxpayers should not be stuck paying for union benefits they didn't negotiate and, for the most part, don't enjoy themselves.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090825/...e-benefits