Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6'3 G Demetrius Avery officially enrolls at Holmes
6'3 G Demetrius Avery, formerly of Conner, has officially enrolled at Holmes High School. Avery averaged 11 ppg, 5 rpg, shot 43% from the field, 42% from beyond the arc, and was a 66% free throw shooter as a junior for the Cougars. [URL="http://kentuckyhighschoolpreps.blogspot.com/2009/07/demetrius-avery-officially-enrolls-at.html"]
[/URL]
BTW, now that it's official, I think Holmes has to be considered the heavy favorite to repeat as state champs...even with what Scott Co, GRC, and Eastern return. I just don't see how any teams can match up with the following lineup:

6'3 Avery
6'5 R. Johnson
6'5 J. Johnson
6'6 Rice
6'8 Pittman
kywldcat01 Wrote:BTW, now that it's official, I think Holmes has to be considered the heavy favorite to repeat as state champs...even with what Scott Co, GRC, and Eastern return. I just don't see how any teams can match up with the following lineup:

6'3 Avery
6'5 R. Johnson
6'5 J. Johnson
6'6 Rice
6'8 Pittman

Looking at this line up, Holmes will have 5 of the top 8 players in the 9th region. I agree they should be the favorite coming in. One more thing that sticks out to me is, all 5 can handle and shoot.
Did he make a legal move and has the KHSAA declared him eligible to play.
kywldcat01 Wrote:BTW, now that it's official, I think Holmes has to be considered the heavy favorite to repeat as state champs...even with what Scott Co, GRC, and Eastern return. I just don't see how any teams can match up with the following lineup:

6'3 Avery
6'5 R. Johnson
6'5 J. Johnson
6'6 Rice
6'8 Pittman

Is it a lock that Avery will start?
Stardust Wrote:Is it a lock that Avery will start?

Ricardo will be running the point this year...Avery will start at either the 2 or 3. He is more of a forward, but has a good enough outside shot and can handle the ball well enough to play the 2. I'd personally expect Rico, JJ, and Avery to all rotate at the 1, 2, and 3 positions depending on match ups.

Rice and Pittman will be down low. As tezzy said in an above post, all 5 can handle the ball and shoot the rock...they'll be extremely difficult to defend.

OrangenowBlue Wrote:Did he make a legal move and has the KHSAA declared him eligible to play.

To be eligible, Avery must apply to the KHSAA for a waiver, which Madrick said should be granted. "He's moving," Madrick said. "They have all the documentation."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...innati.com
I really don't see a team in the state of Kentucky competing with Holmes next season. What are Holmes chances of going undefeated kywildcat?

Holmes should be ranked very high in the national poll this upcoming season as well.
Like last season, if you wanted to play with Holmes then you need to slow the game down and force Holmes to shoot jump shots. Thats what majority of their regional opponents did. i.e. Boone County.

Avery seems to be a shooter from looking at his stats, so he could help out the Holmes offense for when teams try and slow the pace of the game down.
Imo this will be the best team as far as talent goes to ever come through Holmes. I know the Bulldogs lost some key players in Riley, Housley, and D.Johnson. But insert Rice and Avery into the starting line up and I think this years team has more talent hands down. Imo Rice and Avery have more upside than the players they lost. I don't know if that means state championship or not, but I like Holmes chances to get to Rupp. Not to mention the big three all a year older.
tezzy859 Wrote:Imo this will be the best team as far as talent goes to ever come through Holmes. I know the Bulldogs lost some key players in Riley, Housley, and D.Johnson. But insert Rice and Avery into the starting line up and I think this years team has more talent hands down. Imo Rice and Avery have more upside than the players they lost. I don't know if that means state championship or not, but I like Holmes chances to get to Rupp. Not to mention the big three all a year older.

This probably does make them one of the most talented teams to ever come through NKY
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I really don't see a team in the state of Kentucky competing with Holmes next season. What are Holmes chances of going undefeated kywildcat?

Holmes should be ranked very high in the national poll this upcoming season as well.

Scott Co, Eastern, GRC, and several other 11th and 7th region teams could compete with them, but I really don't think anyone of them would beat them. They will be very deep next year. Outside of their loaded starting lineup, they have a group of juniors and sophomores coming up that made the JV region championship last year (only losing 4 games) without 6'6 Rice playing a game in the tournament.

As for them going undefeated, I really don't know. They should be favored in every game they play, but their schedule is probably the toughest or one of the top 3 toughest in the state this next season. They definetly can't take any nights off playing in the 9th region and against teams like Bowman Academy (Ind.), Princeton (OH), Warren Central, Christian Co, Mason Co, and also in events like the KOB and Kentucky-Tennessee Shootout.

With the team they have, they should garner a lot of national attention though in the preseason and throughout the course of the year.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Like last season, if you wanted to play with Holmes then you need to slow the game down and force Holmes to shoot jump shots. Thats what majority of their regional opponents did. i.e. Boone County.

Avery seems to be a shooter from looking at his stats, so he could help out the Holmes offense for when teams try and slow the pace of the game down.

Teams will definetly try to slow the ball down this year against Holmes because of how athletic and big they'll be. With the depth they'll have though, I'd expect Coach Henley to press the whole game to try and force tempo like they did in 08 when they had Henderson and Co. Holmes should go anywhere from 9-11 deep.

Avery is definetly a shooter and could be the consistent outside threat that Holmes was going to miss with the departure of Riley. He'll benefit greatly from having Rico running the point and driving and dishing to him for open looks.
tezzy859 Wrote:Imo this will be the best team as far as talent goes to ever come through Holmes. I know the Bulldogs lost some key players in Riley, Housley, and D.Johnson. But insert Rice and Avery into the starting line up and I think this years team has more talent hands down. Imo Rice and Avery have more upside than the players they lost. I don't know if that means state championship or not, but I like Holmes chances to get to Rupp. Not to mention the big three all a year older.

Stardust Wrote:This probably does make them one of the most talented teams to ever come through NKY

I'd have to agree with both of you. Not only will this be one of the most talented teams to ever come through nky, but this will also be one of the biggest lineups to ever come through NKY as well.

6'3 Avery- D2 prospect, possibly small D1 or NAIA
6'5 R. Johnson- High Major D1
6'5 J. Johnson- Mid major D1
6'6 Rice- Mid- High major D1 (Already receiving interest from Tennessee as a junior...currently averaging over 20 ppg on the AAU circuit)
6'8 Pittman- High Major D1

If this team ends up going on to win a state championship, they very well could be in the talks of being one of the best teams to ever come through the STATE of ky, having won back to back state titles with the same core group.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Teams will definetly try to slow the ball down this year against Holmes because of how athletic and big they'll be. With the depth they'll have though, I'd expect Coach Henley to press the whole game to try and force tempo like they did in 08 when they had Henderson and Co. Holmes should go anywhere from 9-11 deep.

Avery is definetly a shooter and could be the consistent outside threat that Holmes was going to miss with the departure of Riley. He'll benefit greatly from having Rico running the point and driving and dishing to him for open looks.

Imo Holmes has the talent to go undefeated. But someone will catch them on one of them off nights in the 9th region regular season play.
tezzy859 Wrote:Imo Holmes has the talent to go undefeated. But someone will catch them on one of them off nights in the 9th region regular season play.

It's extremely difficult to go undefeated. I can see a loss on their schedule, but not likely to a local team
Stardust Wrote:It's extremely difficult to go undefeated. I can see a loss on their schedule, but not likely to a local team

The last two years a 9th region team has beat them. Boone Co. last year and NCC two years ago. NKY teams will slow the pace and pack it in on Holmes. Also the game at Highlands will be tough.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Scott Co, Eastern, GRC, and several other 11th and 7th region teams could compete with them, but I really don't think anyone of them would beat them. They will be very deep next year. Outside of their loaded starting lineup, they have a group of juniors and sophomores coming up that made the JV region championship last year (only losing 4 games) without 6'6 Rice playing a game in the tournament.

As for them going undefeated, I really don't know. They should be favored in every game they play, but their schedule is probably the toughest or one of the top 3 toughest in the state this next season. They definetly can't take any nights off playing in the 9th region and against teams like Bowman Academy (Ind.), Princeton (OH), Warren Central, Christian Co, Mason Co, and also in events like the KOB and Kentucky-Tennessee Shootout.

With the team they have, they should garner a lot of national attention though in the preseason and throughout the course of the year.

Well, looks like Holmes will get every team's best shot that they play. Going undefeated throughout the season with that tough of a schedule may be impossible, but if any team could do it, it would be this Holmes team. I was amazed when I got the privilege to watch last year's team at Rupp Arena. They were simply unstoppable and looks like things may get even better next season. The only problem is like I said, Holmes will get everybody's best shot every time they play.

If all goes well, this may be one of the best teams to ever play -- not only in NKY, but in the state of Kentucky.
tezzy859 Wrote:The last two years a 9th region team has beat them. Boone Co. last year and NCC two years ago. NKY teams will slow the pace and pack it in on Holmes. Also the game at Highlands will be tough.

Stardust Wrote:It's extremely difficult to go undefeated. I can see a loss on their schedule, but not likely to a local team

tezzy859 Wrote:Imo Holmes has the talent to go undefeated. But someone will catch them on one of them off nights in the 9th region regular season play.

The 9th region is one of the top 3 toughest regions in the state...it will be a big challenge for Holmes to go undefeated in NKY, but if any team can do it, it's this years' version of the Bulldogs with the talent they'll have.

As tezzy said though, I wouldn't be surprised if someone did knock them off.... especially Highlands. Not only will they be stacked with depth this coming season, but they also get Holmes AT Highlands, where Holmes hasn't fared to well the past two times they've met there. Granted Holmes won both games, it's taken overtime and a late 4th quarter run from behind to win both.

Things should be very exciting this year in Covington though. They will have a very special team.