Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marching Bands in High School.
I know that it really isn't a sport, but how is everyone's band doing? I heard that LCC has a lot of freshman coming out this year. I have a niece who is a sophomore. What are the numbers in your high school band?:Guitar01:Big Grinrums02::Trumpet:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Campbell County should field a 100+
The Hazard High School Band of Gold may not be large in number but these kids made up for it in talent, heart and determination. I firmly believe that the band kids are the hardest working kids in the school. It is unreal the amount of time, work and practice these kids put into this. And the sad part is that the band doesn't get the recognition that they deserve. I think the band adds so much to ballgames, pep rallies and other school events. Not to mention the entertainment they provide at concerts, parades and field shows. These kids are amazing and Pauletta Smith gets the most out of them. I think they even surprise themselves sometimes. As the new school year gets ready to begin one of the things I look forward to the most is seeing the band at the ballgames as they fire up the Bulldog faithful with "On Hazard High". I've often said that when I die I want the Band of Gold to play the school song at my funeral and if I don't raise up and start clapping then they'll know for sure I'm dead. lol I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Band of Gold, Pauletta Smith and John Day for everything they do. You truly are "THE PRIDE OF HAZARD HIGH"!

sounds really good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Jackson City lost some band people.
The Band of Gold is pretty awesome! Bands do add alot. It is a shame that more students do not join band. I guess its just the conflicts of being involved with other programs and the willingness to put in the time to be successful.
Anyone know exactly how many we are going to have this year at Letcher Central?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The numbers have increased some, but during the middle of basketball season last year they vastly improved. I heard them playing in the gym last Friday and they sounded really good. I am musically ignorant but it appears the band program at LCCHS is on the right track.
I think they have a bunch of freshman coming in, and a great middle school program.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Breathitt also has a decent band.
There are a lot of Freshman involved in the band at LCC. The biggest part of the band is freshman. Cougarpride08, I am so glad that there is something we can agree on. The band at LCC is definitely headed in the right direction. We should see another boom in the high school group in two year. This year's 7th grade is really big. The difference is that the administration in Letcher County is doing things right where many are doing wrong.
If you want any high school band at all, you must have a quality middle school program. This is where many schools are mesing up. They will not put any resources toward the middle school and expect to have a high school band.
Thank you for recognizing the hard work going on at LCC. BTW, there is nobody out there that works as hard as Pauletta Smith and the Hazard Band of Gold.
Does she have a hard time getting middle school students out there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I should make it very clear that, in no way, am I saying that there is anything wrong with the BOG. In fact, I think of Hazard as a model for doing things the right way. What I meant is that other school systems aren't doing the right things like Hazard has been for a very long time. I just enjoy celebrating some of the successes that we are experiencing.
thanks for the info.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

sheldon clark has a very small band this year compared to previous years. they have a new director, as the previous one is a full time guidace counselor at the school
I want to congratulate the Letcher Co Central Marching Band for placing 2nd in the competition in Virginia. I don't know which school held the competition, but last year they didn't place, so that is a big improvement. I think they will be competing in one in Paintsville.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Russell had about 50 last year and i'd say about the same this year maybe more. We do have a really strong middle school band and usually place among the top 5 in our class at state varsity comp.
If you want to include color guard we had about 70.
2009 Russell - from East Jessamine

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlFfLYPewAI"]YouTube - 2009 Russell - from East Jessamine[/ame]
From what I have been told, we have a lot of freshman this year, and a bunch of eighth grader coming in next year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Blue-N-Gold Wrote:The Hazard High School Band of Gold may not be large in number but these kids made up for it in talent, heart and determination. I firmly believe that the band kids are the hardest working kids in the school. It is unreal the amount of time, work and practice these kids put into this. And the sad part is that the band doesn't get the recognition that they deserve. I think the band adds so much to ballgames, pep rallies and other school events. Not to mention the entertainment they provide at concerts, parades and field shows. These kids are amazing and Pauletta Smith gets the most out of them. I think they even surprise themselves sometimes. As the new school year gets ready to begin one of the things I look forward to the most is seeing the band at the ballgames as they fire up the Bulldog faithful with "On Hazard High". I've often said that when I die I want the Band of Gold to play the school song at my funeral and if I don't raise up and start clapping then they'll know for sure I'm dead. lol I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Band of Gold, Pauletta Smith and John Day for everything they do. You truly are "THE PRIDE OF HAZARD HIGH"!

Hardest working? No, maybe the most dedicated. You'll have to go inside a wrestling room to find the hardest working kids in a school.

On a side note, is Hazard allowing there marching band to compete against PCC in competitions? I would assume so since they are pretty dominate in that area. When I think of Hazard, the BOG is the first thing to enter my mind. Not football, baseball, or basketball.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I want to congratulate the Letcher Co Central Marching Band for placing 2nd in the competition in Virginia. I don't know which school held the competition, but last year they didn't place, so that is a big improvement. I think they will be competing in one in Paintsville.

The band will actually be competing next on October 31st at UVa-Wise. Thanks for your interest.
They had another competition last week. How did they do?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Class AA-B
1st Place Percussion
1st Place Field Commander
2nd Place Band

The band was 1pt behind the 1st place group.
congrats to the band. Well done!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The Hazard High School Band of Gold placed 4th overall in the state finals. Way to go Band!
Congratulations!!! YOU ARE THE PRIDE OF HAZARD HIGH!!!!! :Thumbs:
how did everyone do at state 11-7-09..
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:The Hazard High School Band of Gold placed 4th overall in the state finals. Way to go Band!
Congratulations!!! YOU ARE THE PRIDE OF HAZARD HIGH!!!!! :Thumbs:

Congrats Band of Gold!!!!!
Way to represent Eastern Kentucky.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!