Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon Slone Withdraws From Morehead State
Anyone heard any updates or status.
Pupaw Wrote:Anyone heard any updates or status.

I saw on Wymt's twitter that he withdrew this morning.
I also heard that he left, or was in the process of leaving.
Where was he leaving Morehead?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Yeah, Landon did withdraw from Morehead.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Yeah, Landon did withdraw from Morehead.

Anyone know why?
He's going back to UK.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:He's going back to UK.

Trying to walk-on at UK? Or just going for school?
ComfortEagle Wrote:Trying to walk-on at UK? Or just going for school?

Sit out a year of basketball. May try to walk-on next season, but he does not know for sure yet.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Sit out a year of basketball. May try to walk-on next season, but he does not know for sure yet.

wow, didnt see that coming. Well, Best of luck to him.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Sit out a year of basketball. May try to walk-on next season, but he does not know for sure yet.
That kind of stuff doesn't happen. Coach Cal and Billy G had no need for him so why would they let him come back?
1911 Wrote:That kind of stuff doesn't happen. Coach Cal and Billy G had no need for him so why would they let him come back?

Billy Gillispie told Landon that wherever he ends up coaching that Landon would get a full-scholarship. He was also told the same if he had stayed another season at UK. I doubt Landon would pass that opportunity up.

I don't know if Calipari would let Landon back on the team or not, but I'm sure he'd give Landon a shot come next season.
He is a solid player, he should go to UK.
Nefarious83 Wrote:He is a solid player, he should go to UK.
He will add quality minutes and hard work wherever he goes. He might not be the fastest or most athletic player on the floor, but he gives 150% and doesn't let the team down.
I thought he left UK???? How can he go back?
He can go back as a student, just not a student-athlete...
This Slone situation is getting way out of hand. I have a question for anyone that can answer it. What gives Slone the right to think he is entitled to play at the university of Ky? Gillespie gave him the opportunity to walk on. He got some minutes until the SEC began and then he didn't get in a game until the South Carolina game. He had 4 fouls in 43 seconds before BCG could get him back on the bench. He should have never been there to start with. Then a coach comes in, watches him practice for 4 weeks and decides he can't play for him along with most of the other walk-on's, cut's him loose without even talking with him and moves on with the players he wants on his team. Every kid that grows up in Ky want's to play for UK. Slone lived that dream for one year. Move on, grow up and have a good time in life. Then he get's a chance to play at MSU and continue his dream of playing for a D1 school that didn't recruit him in the first place. He then plays pick up games with the team for a few day's and decides he dosen't want to play basketball any more.
It seem's like he saying MSU is below him. Got news for you, he would strugle at MSU to see any playing time next year. I checked an MSU blog and the talk was that John Lamb tortured him in pick up games. Bottom line is he need's to move on, he's burning bridge's that he shouldn't.
It's worth a shot to go back to UK to see if he would get to stay around. If he doesn't, I would still prefer to receive my education there than at MSU.
kyrifle Wrote:This Slone situation is getting way out of hand. I have a question for anyone that can answer it. What gives Slone the right to think he is entitled to play at the university of Ky? Gillespie gave him the opportunity to walk on. He got some minutes until the SEC began and then he didn't get in a game until the South Carolina game. He had 4 fouls in 43 seconds before BCG could get him back on the bench. He should have never been there to start with. Then a coach comes in, watches him practice for 4 weeks and decides he can't play for him along with most of the other walk-on's, cut's him loose without even talking with him and moves on with the players he wants on his team. Every kid that grows up in Ky want's to play for UK. Slone lived that dream for one year. Move on, grow up and have a good time in life. Then he get's a chance to play at MSU and continue his dream of playing for a D1 school that didn't recruit him in the first place. He then plays pick up games with the team for a few day's and decides he dosen't want to play basketball any more.
It seem's like he saying MSU is below him. Got news for you, he would strugle at MSU to see any playing time next year. I checked an MSU blog and the talk was that John Lamb tortured him in pick up games. Bottom line is he need's to move on, he's burning bridge's that he shouldn't.

You make some very interesting points.

Landon I guess just wasn't comfortable at MSU. Majority of his friends go to college in the Lexington area and he is usually with them from what I hear. Maybe he is hanging it up and he's just going to focus on school and his future because I'm sure that he is aware of the fact that he cannot make it professionally.

I hope that Landon is making the best possible decisions for himself and family.
kyrifle Wrote:This Slone situation is getting way out of hand. I have a question for anyone that can answer it. What gives Slone the right to think he is entitled to play at the university of Ky? Gillespie gave him the opportunity to walk on. He got some minutes until the SEC began and then he didn't get in a game until the South Carolina game. He had 4 fouls in 43 seconds before BCG could get him back on the bench. He should have never been there to start with. Then a coach comes in, watches him practice for 4 weeks and decides he can't play for him along with most of the other walk-on's, cut's him loose without even talking with him and moves on with the players he wants on his team. Every kid that grows up in Ky want's to play for UK. Slone lived that dream for one year. Move on, grow up and have a good time in life. Then he get's a chance to play at MSU and continue his dream of playing for a D1 school that didn't recruit him in the first place. He then plays pick up games with the team for a few day's and decides he dosen't want to play basketball any more.

I don't think Slone is trying to get back on at UK. From what I have heard, Gillispie promised Slone a spot on his next team (wherever that may be) so maybe he's just waiting until next year. Not sure why he would want to sit out a year though.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I don't think Slone is trying to get back on at UK. From what I have heard, Gillispie promised Slone a spot on his next team (wherever that may be) so maybe he's just waiting until next year. Not sure why he would want to sit out a year though.

If he sits out a year he will be eligible as soon as Gillispie lands his next job. Playing at MSU this season would make have to sit out a year if he decided to transfer to wherever Gillispie ended up.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:If he sits out a year he will be eligible as soon as Gillispie lands his next job. Playing at MSU this season would make have to sit out a year if he decided to transfer to wherever Gillispie ended up.

Makes more sense now. As of right now, from what I've heard, this is his plan though. Sit this year, and go wherever Gillispie ends up next year.
Well I guess people from paintsville shouldnt hate Gillispie anymore
I can attest that sometimes when you have your heart set on something, and you can't attain it, settling for something and/or doing something that others want you to do is just not an option because you lose the passion for it.
Anyone see the interview on WYMT?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Anyone see the interview on WYMT?

Are you talking about the interview from the P'ville/Lawrence game?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Anyone see the interview on WYMT?

Yes I saw the interview. One word comes to mind ARROGANCE. I can't believe he told Derrick he was a lock down type player and didn't think he could play his style of ball at MSU. Sounded to me like he thinks he's too good for Morehead. I think he's finished at any D-1 school. I don't think he can play at that level anyway.
Wow, that's surprising. I did not think this young man was like this. He seems to always be affable.
Stardust Wrote:Wow, that's surprising. I did not think this young man was like this. He seems to always be affable.
He's not. He doesn't have an arrogant bone in his body. He is a very respectful kid, unless you are kyrifle.
First off, Landon is eligible to return to UK and play next year. Second, if Landon goes to UK as a student and Gillespie gets another D1 job, Landon would not be able to go there and play right away. As he was going to have to do at Morehead, he would have to sit out a year in residence at the new school. Therefore, he would not only be sitting two years out of basketball, he would also lose a year of eligibility and would only have two years left to play. The word around town is that Mitch Barnhardt is involved and there might be some reconsideration of Landon rejoining the team as a walk-on. Calapari possibly jumped-the gun in this situation.