Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Defensive Style?
After seeing the Offensive Style threads, what kind of defenses do you like to see/use?
With 2 stud tackles 4-3. Stunting LB's nearly every play

Average talent 5-2 with a monster

Slightly below average in talent 6-2 flexing sometimes to a 5-3
I like the 5-2 with a monster as well.
Flexiblity wise I like a 5-2 with a monster. Can make multiple adjustments without missing a beat.
Gotta go with a 5-2.
4-3 here.
5-2 with a "Monster" LB and everyone with gap assignments..take care of your assignment and take care of business the "D" we will win you games..
I like the Haywood 5-3
I love the 3-4. You can send a LB from pretty much anywhere and it will open up some holes because of it as the OL doesn't know for sure where its coming from. I'll probably look this up myself but what type of defense is run the most in the NFL?
Most NFL teams run a 4-3. Its the defense that is required in the Pro Bowl
4-3 all the way
I believe in highschool you have to adjust your d to your talent. I always liked an even front, but if you have two studs for olb, the 3/4 offers to many blitz pack and defends he pass well, you can say 5/2 if it makes you feel better the difference is your olb or d-ends. Inside the ten you have to go even. My favorite d is the 4/6 if you have the talent it does well against the run, and i agree with buddy ryan, ive never seen a qb throw a good pass when he was laying on his back
Real Badman Wrote:I like the Haywood 5-3

Haywood runs a 5-2....2 deep safeties and 2 corners....My personal favorite is the 3-4 blitzing stlye like the late Jim Johnson ran in Philadelphia you never know how many orwhich defenders are coming. Tough to gameplan when you don't really know what they are gonna do.
Most importantly, you should get a defense based on the talent and size of your players.

Secondly, you are to see how your opponents are. Are they more of passing teams that are good against stopping the blitz? Then have good coverage. Do they mostly focus on running? Put four or five people on the defensive line.

Lastly, you are to chose a defense that's easy on your defenders. An example is that a cornerback for the Green Bay Packers was happy when he heard they were switching to a 3-4 defense. This is because he considers it easier to play in a zone defense (where he watches the quarterback) rather than a man to man defense (where he watches the receiver).

Personally, if I could chose any defense, I would chose the 4-3 defense. By controlling the line of scrimmage, you can stop the run and cause trouble for the quarterback.
Any that can draw blood!!!
I havent seen a lot of HS teams run a 3-4..got to have a big noseguard and athletic LBS to run this successfully right??
StrayBullet Wrote:I havent seen a lot of HS teams run a 3-4..got to have a big noseguard and athletic LBS to run this successfully right??

Yes you are Correct.
I personally like the 5-3 Defense with the flexibility of 4-4 and a man floating and scraping to the ball. I think it is the best defensive for any High School Football Team, its very easy to learn and very easy to perrfect and Extremely hard to break threw the Defense.
Tanner Tackett #35 Wrote:Yes you are Correct.
I personally like the 5-3 Defense with the flexibility of 4-4 and a man floating and scraping to the ball. I think it is the best defensive for any High School Football Team, its very easy to learn and very easy to perrfect and Extremely hard to break threw the Defense.

Thanks for the confirmation..see I thought I knew this game they call " football ":popcorn:
StrayBullet Wrote:I havent seen a lot of HS teams run a 3-4..got to have a big noseguard and athletic LBS to run this successfully right??

The majority of teams in high school run a 5-2, but its basically just like a 3-4 with the two outside linebackers walked up to the line of scrimmage.

Personally, I like any D that pitches shutouts.
Tanner Tackett #35 Wrote:Yes you are Correct.

:Thumbs: For all high school teams, I would use the 5-3 defense. You could use a 4-4 defense (maybe against a good passing team), but I would use the 5-3 defense to stop the run (since most eastern kentucky teams are running teams).

If the 5-3 defense is easy to learn, then that's even more reason to go with this defense.
I play a 4-3 or a 3-3 stack. I've seen teams load up the box with the 5-3, 5-2 with a monster, and with a 4-4. It works great against the run, but will get you killed when you play someone that can throw with any efficiency. You have to be able to mix coverages and give different looks to combat those teams, and I think the 4-3 and the 3-3 stack give you those. Plus, it's rare that you find a high school team with the personnel to run a 3-4 and run it well.