Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State report: Dangerous levels of selenium in water, fish near coal mines
Quote:The state Division of Water stalled for two years before releasing the information, the groups said.

"What makes us the maddest is that the division has had this information for a while now," said Judith Petersen of the Kentucky Waterways Alliance. The main concern with the levels found in Eastern Kentucky is the effect on fish and wildlife, Petersen said. But in higher doses, selenium can be toxic to humans.
Quote:At one mining site and one road cut, it found that water downstream exceeded state water quality standards. Other mining sites showed elevated levels.

At three mining sites, the groups said, tests of fish tissue exceeded the federal Environmental Protection Agency's recommendations for the mineral.

In five other areas, the levels in fish were high enough to be harmful to the fish.

Margaret Janes, with the Appalachian Center for the Economy and the Environment, said the fish tissue results were more telling than the water tests. Selenium accumulates in fish as does mercury, she said, showing chronic exposure.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/917547.html
Forgot to copy the first paragraph......

Quote:State regulators have found dangerous levels of selenium in water and fish near coal mines in Eastern Kentucky, but they have not put restrictions on the mineral, environmental groups charged Tuesday. The state Division of Water stalled for two years before releasing the information, the groups said.
"What makes us the maddest is that the division has had this information for a while now," said Judith Petersen of the Kentucky Waterways Alliance.
The main concern with the levels found in Eastern Kentucky is the effect on fish and wildlife, Petersen said. But in higher doses, selenium can be toxic to humans.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/917547.html
No big surprise. Nothing will be done though because money is more important than human life to the companies.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Wow, more people duped by the Communist-Leader into being scared of yet something else that they have never heard of and don't bother to do 2 minutes of research to dig a little deeper for the real facts. People who will now be scared of selenium are mostly the same people who are scared of their shadow.
jetpilot Wrote:Wow, more people duped by the Communist-Leader into being scared of yet something else that they have never heard of and don't bother to do 2 minutes of research to dig a little deeper for the real facts. People who will now be scared of selenium are mostly the same people who are scared of their shadow.
You can not argue with the fact that the people who work in mines have breathing problems that affect their quality of life as they get older. Also, you can not argue the fact that streams that our children play in are being polluted by these mines and the mines are not cleaning it up. My signature is aimed for people like you that only base their statements on opinions rather than facts and are unwilling to have an open discussion without disrespecting other people.

All I know is that when I have kids I'm not gonna let them play in the creek...
vundy33 Wrote:All I know is that when I have kids I'm not gonna let them play in the creek...
I totally agree with you, but my kids are with their ......... mother and she has no common sense. The creek they play in has been tested and is positive for many pollutants including feces. I have told her not to let them play in the water, but it always gets a fight started. The stream tested runs into Carr Creek Lake, which has also been tested and is "dirty."

I know that I have beat this subject to death, but its good to see that its finally getting some media coverage.

These pollutants don't disappear easily either, look at DDT, due to biomagnification it can still be found in some fish and bird species, even though its production was stopped decades ago.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:You can not argue with the fact that the people who work in mines have breathing problems that affect their quality of life as they get older. Also, you can not argue the fact that streams that our children play in are being polluted by these mines and the mines are not cleaning it up. My signature is aimed for people like you that only base their statements on opinions rather than facts and are unwilling to have an open discussion without disrespecting other people.

Keep getting your "facts" from the Lexington Herald and watch out for that selenium!:thatsfunn