Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends of America Rally - Labor Day
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Then you have failed mightily. Learned early as a child that one should not anger at stupidy and ignorance. One should merely consider the source and look over it the best one can.

Just saying something doesn't make it true.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I've done some research myself on forest fragmentation and biomagnification, you know what I learned? I learned that there are plenty of biased sites that give only half of the facts.

You talk a lot about research Coach, how much research have you done about the coal industry, cap-and-trade, and things of that nature? My guess is not so much. So, in responses to your irrational posts, I say some people need to do a little research on the other side of the argument.

Before you say anything, remember that I said this. I know you or no one else that is ignorant of the coal industry now, will ever do a favor for themselves and take time to learn about it. I don't even know why I waste my time with posts like this. It's doing neither of us any good.

For some reason, I smell a response from DW. :biggrin:

Hey DW, I don't know about you but I'm so excited that the economy is back where it needs to be. I just knew that Obama could turn it around. If it were up to people like me, Obama wouldn't even be in office and we wouldn't have our economy in such good shape again. (Don't get all riled up, it's all in good fun)

Careful what you ask for.

Well here's a news flash. New unemployment claims dropped this past week.

That's some good news isn't it?

No one who understands anything about the economy thought it would be an easy mess to clean up. These things take time.
DevilsWin Wrote:Its "interpretation" when Old School and his Coal lovin/Mountain hatin buddies don't get their way.

When they do get their way(Courtesy of guys like Fmr. WV Supreme Court Justice Benjamin) and are allowed to destroy entire ecosystems and communities, it's a fair and balanced judgment.

You see every judge has to interpret the law as they understand it. Haden interpreted the law one way and the judges on the appeals court interpredted the same law another way.
DevilsWin Wrote:Careful what you ask for.

That's some good news isn't it?

No one who understands anything about the economy thought it would be an easy mess to clean up. These things take time.

My stocks, for the first time in a very long time, have made a profit this last quarter. Albeit, it will take time to make up for what I've lost.
DevilsWin Wrote:Careful what you ask for.

That's some good news isn't it?No one who understands anything about the economy thought it would be an easy mess to clean up. These things take time.

Is it still not the worst in history, except for maybe during the Great Depression era and the last prior report?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I've done some research myself on forest fragmentation and biomagnification, you know what I learned? I learned that there are plenty of biased sites that give only half of the facts.

You talk a lot about research Coach, how much research have you done about the coal industry, cap-and-trade, and things of that nature? My guess is not so much. So, in responses to your irrational posts, I say some people need to do a little research on the other side of the argument.

Before you say anything, remember that I said this. I know you or no one else that is ignorant of the coal industry now, will ever do a favor for themselves and take time to learn about it. I don't even know why I waste my time with posts like this. It's doing neither of us any good.

For some reason, I smell a response from DW. :biggrin:

Hey DW, I don't know about you but I'm so excited that the economy is back where it needs to be. I just knew that Obama could turn it around. If it were up to people like me, Obama wouldn't even be in office and we wouldn't have our economy in such good shape again. (Don't get all riled up, it's all in good fun)

I agree that there is plenty of biased sites that present false information from both sites, but the research I have done did not come from a website, but came from classwork and field study, big difference there.

I will admit that I have a lot more knowledge of science and the environment than I do of the coal business, but I know alot, (nearly my entire family works in the mines) and I know enough to compare the pros and cons of both sides of this debate.
I for one am tired of all this right wing and left wing propaganda...Guess what everyone our country is going down the crapper and its not just one or two mans faults...we have been heading in this direction for a while now yes even with Clinton in office it just wasnt as obvious...Get over your I AM A REPUBLICAN DOWN WITH THE DEMOCRATIC GOVERMENT AND VISE VERSA for once back your goverment the worst thing we can do on any side or party right now is argue now is not the time...Remember Vietnam, same situation right now!!!!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I for one am tired of all this right wing and left wing propaganda...Guess what everyone our country is going down the crapper and its not just one or two mans faults...we have been heading in this direction for a while now yes even with Clinton in office it just wasnt as obvious...Get over your I AM A REPUBLICAN DOWN WITH THE DEMOCRATIC GOVERMENT AND VISE VERSA for once back your goverment the worst thing we can do on any side or party right now is argue now is not the time...Remember Vietnam, same situation right now!!!!
:Thumbs:
I am proud to say I have a "friends of coal and Coal keeps the lights on" sticker on the back of my truck.

Ban coal..... and we'll let those basterds frezze.
TheRealVille Wrote:No...the one the appeals court turned was in 2001 from his 99 decision, this one was from 2002, it stuck.

This part of the article stuck out to me.

I'm about 99% sure that all of Haden's ruleings were overturned by the 4th Circuit.
baseballfan Wrote:I am proud to say I have a "friends of coal and Coal keeps the lights on" sticker on the back of my truck.

Ban coal..... and we'll let those basterds frezze.

I wonder what would happen if all of the coal producers stopped mining coal for about 3 months? Do you think all of these enviros and anti-coal groups would change their minds?
Old School Wrote:I wonder what would happen if all of the coal producers stopped mining coal for about 3 months? Do you think all of these enviros and anti-coal groups would change their minds?

The burning of fossil fuels is not sustainable for the planet. If I keep feeding a trash can fire in your house, your household environment is, before long, non-inhabitable. If we keep burning "trash can" fires all over the planet, before long, in ecological time, you have non-sustainability. Now that we know this, we are more accountable. By analogy, smokers didn't used to know that smoking could kill them, though a reasoned thought might have led one to believe that. To me, this whole fossil fuels thing isn't an "us" against "them" or a blame game. It's about the survival of this planet as we know it, of the species of this earth as we know them.
thecavemaster Wrote:The burning of fossil fuels is not sustainable for the planet. If I keep feeding a trash can fire in your house, your household environment is, before long, non-inhabitable. If we keep burning "trash can" fires all over the planet, before long, in ecological time, you have non-sustainability. Now that we know this, we are more accountable. By analogy, smokers didn't used to know that smoking could kill them, though a reasoned thought might have led one to believe that. To me, this whole fossil fuels thing isn't an "us" against "them" or a blame game. It's about the survival of this planet as we know it, of the species of this earth as we know them.

The burning of coal is not the same as it was 100 years ago, coal power plants are over 70% cleaner than they were in the 70's. New technologies continue improve in both the porduction and burning of fossil fuels.
Old School Wrote:The burning of coal is not the same as it was 100 years ago, coal power plants are over 70% cleaner than they were in the 70's. New technologies continue improve in both the porduction and burning of fossil fuels.

I hope we are beginning the process of living in a post fossil fuel world. The GM Volt will, I hope, be a huge seller (as one for instance). I have no quarrel with those who broke their backs and bodies in coal mines to provide for themselves and their families. However, there are people who oversaw the rape of the land, the "Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away" aspect. Is there a cigar that can burn clean enough to have no impact on the lungs?
thecavemaster Wrote:I hope we are beginning the process of living in a post fossil fuel world. The GM Volt will, I hope, be a huge seller (as one for instance). I have no quarrel with those who broke their backs and bodies in coal mines to provide for themselves and their families. However, there are people who oversaw the rape of the land, the "Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away" aspect. Is there a cigar that can burn clean enough to have no impact on the lungs?

Where do you think the electricity is going to come from to power the Volt?
NEXT Wrote:Where do you think the electricity is going to come from to power the Volt?

From the wall, silly...:eyeroll:
NEXT Wrote:Where do you think the electricity is going to come from to power the Volt?
From nuclear and gas powered powerhouses.
jetpilot Wrote:From the wall, silly...:eyeroll:

I thought we were discussing the desire to begin the process of weaning off the burning of fossil fuels, with an efficient, practical electric car (made by GM) as an example of more to come. If I was mistaken, you guys carry on with whatever it is your doing.
thecavemaster Wrote:I thought we were discussing the desire to begin the process of weaning off the burning of fossil fuels, with an efficient, practical electric car (made by GM) as an example of more to come. If I was mistaken, you guys carry on with whatever it is your doing.

Is natural gas not a fossil fuel?

Is nuclear power not potentially more devastating to the environment and to human safety than what any fossil fuel could ever become?

Opps , you are not the one that mentioned those choices. Sorry, that was TheRealville.
thecavemaster Wrote:I hope we are beginning the process of living in a post fossil fuel world. The GM Volt will, I hope, be a huge seller (as one for instance). I have no quarrel with those who broke their backs and bodies in coal mines to provide for themselves and their families. However, there are people who oversaw the rape of the land, the "Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away" aspect. Is there a cigar that can burn clean enough to have no impact on the lungs?

What do you advocate as the option?

As seen in West Virginia, If you build wind powered, you risk getting the "CoachOwens" type nuts all in an uproar over some bat's habitat.

If you build hydroelectric plants you again get the other tree hugger/bat lover types, stirred up because you change the natural enviroment and alter the landscape.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:What do you advocate as the option?

As seen in West Virginia, If you build wind powered, you risk getting the "CoachOwens" type nuts all in an uproar over some bat's habitat.

If you build hydroelectric plants you again get the other tree hugger/bat lover types, stirred up because you change the natural enviroment and alter the landscape.

Well thank you for the compliment!

Im all for new sources of renewable energy, but if you cant do it without harming the environment also, then whats the point? And just what did I say that was so "nutty" about the indiana bat? Is studying the species a crime?

And the indiana bat is an endangered species according to the US fish and Wildlife service, so it falls under protection from the law.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Well thank you for the compliment!

Im all for new sources of renewable energy, but if you cant do it without harming the environment also, then whats the point? And just what did I say that was so "nutty" about the indiana bat? Is studying the species a crime?

And the indiana bat is an endangered species according to the US fish and Wildlife service, so it falls under protection from the law.

And good morning to you too!!!

lol!!!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:What do you advocate as the option?

Wind, solar, lithium (extracted from great salt flats)... I'm not believing in instant change, rather over the course of decades... I would expect a lot of hiccups, big and small, in the movement away from fossil fuels toward more sustainable forms of energy. I also think the whole field of bio-mimicry could provide, in years to come, some fascinating alternatives. Again, it won't happen overnight, and it won't happen without trials and tribulations.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Well thank you for the compliment!

Have you been keeping up with the fight between the farmers in Califorinia and the delta smelt. The delta smelt is a small fish that is caught in the pumps that are used to pump water to the farms.

Nobody doubts the economic devastation to the Central Valley. The unemployment rate in agriculture communities ranges from 20 percent to 40 percent, while 250,000 acres of farmland are lying fallow or dying. The region's agricultural output is expected to decline by between $1 billion and $3 billion this year over last, according to estimates by agricultural and business groups.

The situation for farmers is likely to get worse before it gets better. Federal regulators are poised to enact more water restrictions to protect the chinook salmon, the steelhead and other fish. Estimates are that the cutbacks could result in the removal of 500,000 acre-feet of water.
Scaling back the Central Valley agriculture industry, also known as America's fruit basket, would have an economic impact that stretches beyond California. Americans undoubtedly would find themselves buying more fruits, vegetables and nuts from foreign sources, Mr. Rivett said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009...nia-water/
TheRealVille Wrote:From nuclear and gas powered powerhouses.

Today coal produces about 50% of the nations electricity, the remainder is produced by nuclear, gas, wind, solar and hydroelectric. Alternative energy experts, say it will be at least 25 years or more, before sources other than coal will be able to produce enough electricity to replace the electricity produced by coal.

The problem is that anti-coal groups and enviros are wanting to shut down the coal industry not 25 years from now but today. What will be used to replace coal today?