3. Prestonsburg
4. Belfry
5. Somerset
6. Lawrence County
7. Letcher Central
8. Sheldon Clark
9. Perry Central
10. Hazard
I don't see how Belfry is ranked ahead of Somerset and Lawrence Co. with both of these teams undefeated and the losses that Belfry has and a struggling win over a WEAK Boyd Co. team.
DEVIL89 Wrote:I don't see how Belfry is ranked ahead of Somerset and Lawrence Co. with both of these teams undefeated and the losses that Belfry has and a struggling win over a WEAK Boyd Co. team.

Well I'd say because of beating Whitley County worse than Bell Co. did might have something to do with. Beating back to back 5A schools on the road aint easy.

Lawrence Country hasn't played anyone but Sheldon Clark. East Ridge, Shelby Valley, & Paintsville aren't much. Somerset doesn't have a very tough schedule.
Yeah I would say Belfry doesn't deserve quite that high of a ranking personally I am a belfry fan but also a realist. They should be tucked in nicely behind Lawrence Co. and Somerset. Also I think P'burg should be 2 IMO. I love what WYMT does for mountain football it really is a great thing, but they seem to leap a little too far sometimes.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:1. Bell County
2. Corbin
3. Prestonsburg
4. Belfry
5. Somerset
6. Lawrence County
7. Letcher Central
8. Sheldon Clark
9. Perry Central
10. Hazard

Looks like the top ten is starting to shape up. But look for the Clay County team jump in soon. They are playing the best defence Ive ever seen them play, and their offence is very explosive. Yes you heard it here first.:Thumbs:
MrFootball03 If Bell Co didnt take a knee on the 1 yard line with 50 sec to go Bell Co would had beaten Whitley Co by more than Belfry would had. It would had made it 41-7. Bell pretty much shut Whitley Co out. Whitley Co scored with a 1:10 left in the game. Defense wins Championships just remember that.
WOW how on earth do leap frog so far and LC hasnt lost a game... Oh well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
I agree that the undefeated Lawrence County squad should be #4 and Somerset #5.
Although Belfry has two quality wins and two quality losses, it doesn't merit leapfrogging teams who have taken care of business every game.

With that said, you do have to ask the question if Bell, Corbin, Pburg, Lawrence County, or Somerset played Belfry's schedule what would ther record be? Bell would probably still be undefeated, the others I am not certain would have a much different record then 3-2.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I agree that the undefeated Lawrence County squad should be #4 and Somerset #5.
Although Belfry has two quality wins and two quality losses, it doesn't merit leapfrogging teams who have taken care of business every game.

With that said, you do have to ask the question if Bell, Corbin, Pburg, Lawrence County, or Somerset played Belfry's schedule what would ther record be? Bell would probably still be undefeated, the others I am not certain would have a much different record then 3-2.

I agree on all accounts. Looks about right to me.

Talking about Clay they played some pretty good defense years ago with Arnett, Hyland and that bunch in the early 90's was playing. They lost to Bell in the Regional Championship.
Bell County has been really good for a long time. Dudley has had a tremendous career.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Well I'd say because of beating Whitley County worse than Bell Co. did might have something to do with. Beating back to back 5A schools on the road aint easy.

Lawrence Country hasn't played anyone but Sheldon Clark. East Ridge, Shelby Valley, & Paintsville aren't much. Somerset doesn't have a very tough schedule.

And you think Bell couldn't beat them worse than they did. Good God.
easyM Wrote:And you think Bell couldn't beat them worse than they did. Good God.
I agree Bell could have easily put more on the board.....Bell could beat Belfry hands down...
I agree with the Somerset, but Lawernce Co has to win better quality games.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
i agree how is belfry ranked # 4 with undefeated teams behind them they should be lower in the rankings.i think Sheldon Clark should be higher then what they are. i think p burg is good where there at but somer set should be higher:flame::argue:
logmountainboy64 Wrote:I agree Bell could have easily put more on the board.....Bell could beat Belfry hands down...

I agree that Bell would beat Belfry I would love to see these two teams work something out or even to have Bell come up for the Pike Co Bowl. That would be the most hyped game in eastern kentucky.
schs_champ2001 Wrote:i agree how is belfry ranked # 4 with undefeated teams behind them they should be lower in the rankings.i think Sheldon Clark should be higher then what they are. i think p burg is good where there at but somer set should be higher:flame::argue:

How so?
SC's signature wins are close game against Johnson Central and Breathitt... Belfry's victories over LCC on the road and the blowout of Whitley certainly hold more water. If SC defeates Pburg then you have a viable arguement.
irishcard16 Wrote:I agree that Bell would beat Belfry I would love to see these two teams work something out or even to have Bell come up for the Pike Co Bowl. That would be the most hyped game in eastern kentucky.

I agree.:Thumbs:
logmountainboy64 Wrote:I agree Bell could have easily put more on the board.....Bell could beat Belfry hands down...

Right now....yes.

At this point in the season I think it is pretty clear Bell would be the prohibitive favorite against any team they played in the mountains. There are a couple mountain teams though who are steadily improving each week that I wouldn't want to see later in the year (Pburg and Belfry), but even then I think Bell is the class of the mountains this year until proven otherwise.
Lawrence County should be ranked ahead of Belfry. I don't understand how a 3-2 team is ranked ahead of a 4-0 team with wins over Sheldon Clark, and a 49-14 win over Shelby Valley.
WildDawg Wrote:Lawrence County should be ranked ahead of Belfry. I don't understand how a 3-2 team is ranked ahead of a 4-0 team with wins over Sheldon Clark, and a 49-14 win over Shelby Valley.

Look at the teams Belfry has played. Top 5 team in 2A Prestonsburg, Top 15 teams in 5A, Ashland, Letcher Central and Whitley County. They've been competitive in each and have won 2 of them.
WildDawg Wrote:Lawrence County should be ranked ahead of Belfry. I don't understand how a 3-2 team is ranked ahead of a 4-0 team with wins over Sheldon Clark, and a 49-14 win over Shelby Valley.

I understand the win over SC being brought up but no Valley not yet anyway because the themselves haven't proved much, but I do agree they should be ranked higher. If they switched schedules what do you really think LC's record would look like?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Look at the teams Belfry has played. Top 5 team in 2A Prestonsburg, Top 15 teams in 5A, Ashland, Letcher Central and Whitley County. They've been competitive in each and have won 2 of them.

Lawrence County played a top 10 2A team (8th in AP Poll) and won big, but got jumped because Belfry beat a 1-3 Whitley County team that is overrated.
lawrence county should be 3 or 4

wow....belfry
irishcard16 Wrote:I understand the win over SC being brought up but no Valley not yet anyway because the themselves haven't proved much, but I do agree they should be ranked higher. If they switched schedules what do you really think LC's record would look like?
Hard to say. I think Lawrence County could beat anyone on Belfrys schedule though. Anywhere from 3-2 to 5-0.
WildDawg Wrote:Hard to say. I think Lawrence County could beat anyone on Belfrys schedule though. Anywhere from 3-2 to 5-0.

Confidence in your team....it's not a bad thing. You all shouldn't lose the rest of the way. Good Luck.
irishcard16 Wrote:Confidence in your team....it's not a bad thing. You all shouldn't lose the rest of the way. Good Luck.
I have a ton of confidence in this Lawrence County team. LC added a VERY good RB in Larry West against Shelby Valley. He is one of the quickest/fastest players I have ever seen play at Lawrence County. On top of that, he has great field vision and playmaking ability. Lawrence County is for real this year, and the rest of the state will find out sooner than later. This is how I see it, LC put 36points on the board against a very good Sheldon Clark defense without West. Think about that.
I think it's a pretty solid list...
Belfry does look a little high, but hey, they're winning big games...

9 - Perry Central
10 - Hazard
When was the last time you saw Perry ahead of Hazard on the mountain top 10 ?
I'd say never lol
WildDawg Wrote:Hard to say. I think Lawrence County could beat anyone on Belfrys schedule though. Anywhere from 3-2 to 5-0.

I would say anywhere between 1-4 and 4-1 msyelf. Don't think the Bulldogs could hang with Ashland this year. Whitley may be "Overrated" but keep in mind who they have lost to to give them that record.
Massey says Belfry - 39 vs. Lawrence - 22..........
LC will beat Boyd County easily. LC would run the ball all over WC, so I don't think that score would be close either. LCC, solid team but they have lost to the only good team they played. Prestonsburg and Ashland are the two teams that would give LC the best game. LC could beat either of those with Larry West. I'd imagine you haven't seen LC play yet, otherwise you wouldn't be thinking that LC couldn't hang with them. LC beat Sheldon Clark without in my opinion their best player. We will see how Pburg does this week against the Cardinals. I'm not saying LC is the best team in the mountains, but they can play with any of them.