Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ready for a change in Commonwealth?
Im not saying Coach Brooks hasnt done a great and outstanding job, but it seems like he chokes when playing a quality team, thats just me, the play calling really becomes messy, we are using timeouts all the time, is it him? the players? and is anyone looking forward to conservative joker phillups?
i really think its the players mainly the offense...the coaches can only give them the knowledge to help them win a game it is up to the players to execute upon that knowledge...Just like Brooks said last week coming out of half time he told them exactly what they were going to do on the 2nd half return and the players did not listen to him and he was correct...
I thought Poppa Brooks was going to have a stroke in the game against Florida. I do believe the time has come for a change because Joker Phillips can only wait so long. Rich Brooks has done a good job, but if Joker is the future coach, let him be the coach before we lose him.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Wildcatk23 Wrote:Im not saying Coach Brooks hasnt done a great and outstanding job, but it seems like he chokes when playing a quality team, thats just me, the play calling really becomes messy, we are using timeouts all the time, is it him? the players? and is anyone looking forward to conservative joker phillups?

1) Joker Phillips calls the plays. He is the offensive coordinator.

2) Joker Phillips is also the recruiting coorinator.
If any of you all think that Kentucky will ever be able to draw the talent that Florida does , you are living in a fantasy world. There are single high schools in the state of Florida that can produce almost as many D1 prospects as the entire state of Kentucky produces. Schools like Kentucky has to rely on the overflow of talent that states such as Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Alabama has no room on their rosters for to even put a competetive team on the field with.

Kentucky is usually able to put a good starting lineup on the field, but they will never be able to have teams year in and year out that can go 3 and 4 deep at every position and never skip a beat. There is a reason why schools in the deep south are able to recruit those kids. Kids in the deep south are no different than what kids in Kentucky are. They would rather play for their home state school if they have the chance. I think that the state of Kentucky has come a long way in the last several years as far as producing talent, but they are still not a football producing factory, such as the deep south states, or an Ohio or a Pennsylvania are.

It aint Brooks.

If you remember , when we got Brooks, nobody else even wanted this job. It was considered professional suicide for any top notch coach to come to Lexington. Wildcat you are way to young to remember or understand the problems that UK has had in luring a coach of the elite category. You better thank your lucky stars that we have Brooks. Nobody else wants this job.

Look no further than how Steve Spurrier has fared since he left Florida, to see what I am talking about. He was just as successful at Florida as Meyer has been. There was no hotter coaching commodity on the market than Steve Spurrier. Now his teams at South Carolina cant compete with Florida either, and he coaches in another state that is rich in homegrown D1 talent.

Florida is Florida is Florida is Florida. Nobody else can beat them either. Better get used to it.
Gotta agree with Kimball on this one. Lucky to have Brooks and we not beat Florida if we had 50 coaches.
I'm not ready for a change. I remember a team that had an immense amount of talent with Coach, Craig Yeast (as far as I know he is still the leading reciever in SEC history), etc... and we didn't do a whole lot then!

Coach Brooks has built this program from the ground up! We have beaten some very good teams since he has been here, Georgia, LSU, ECU (don't laugh they were a pretty good team), Florida State, etc....

I don't think Mumme would have beaten LSU and Florida State :biggrin:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:If any of you all think that Kentucky will ever be able to draw the talent that Florida does , you are living in a fantasy world. There are single high schools in the state of Florida that can produce almost as many D1 prospects as the entire state of Kentucky produces. Schools like Kentucky has to rely on the overflow of talent that states such as Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Alabama has no room on their rosters for to even put a competetive team on the field with.

Kentucky is usually able to put a good starting lineup on the field, but they will never be able to have teams year in and year out that can go 3 and 4 deep at every position and never skip a beat. There is a reason why schools in the deep south are able to recruit those kids. Kids in the deep south are no different than what kids in Kentucky are. They would rather play for their home state school if they have the chance. I think that the state of Kentucky has come a long way in the last several years as far as producing talent, but they are still not a football producing factory, such as the deep south states, or an Ohio or a Pennsylvania are.

It aint Brooks.

If you remember , when we got Brooks, nobody else even wanted this job. It was considered professional suicide for any top notch coach to come to Lexington. Wildcat you are way to young to remember or understand the problems that UK has had in luring a coach of the elite category. You better thank your lucky stars that we have Brooks. Nobody else wants this job.

Look no further than how Steve Spurrier has fared since he left Florida, to see what I am talking about. He was just as successful at Florida as Meyer has been. There was no hotter coaching commodity on the market than Steve Spurrier. Now his teams at South Carolina cant compete with Florida either, and he coaches in another state that is rich in homegrown D1 talent.

Florida is Florida is Florida is Florida. Nobody else can beat them either. Better get used to it.
Great post......not to mention this Florida team could probably beat the Lions lol..I agree with you though, Brooks has done a SUPER job bringing UK to respectibility (sp?)..and there was a time, when many of us never thought that would happen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Holly crap lose one game and everyone is flipping out.... Did you honestly think they were going to beat UF.....and wildcatk23 you dont even know what football is.. You were the very one that was in the Lawrence Co and Sheldon Clark thread saying it was the most boring game you have ever been to... If you cant hang with UK when they lose get the f out then we dont need fans like you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:1) Joker Phillips calls the plays. He is the offensive coordinator.

2) Joker Phillips is also the recruiting coorinator.

Joker Phillips' main title is "coach in waiting"
Choke to me is when you lose a close game. Not when you get routed. Routed is a result of not having the players to compete. Now, if anyone truly believes UK will ever be able to recruit 5*'s and compete with the big boys, Keep Dreaming! Not going to happen if we had Bear Bryant here!
Stardust Wrote:Choke to me is when you lose a close game. Not when you get routed. Routed is a result of not having the players to compete. Now, if anyone truly believes UK will ever be able to recruit 5*'s and compete with the big boys, Keep Dreaming! Not going to happen if we had Bear Bryant here!
:Thumbs: Another excellent post! This is definitely TidesHoss32 approved lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
People, Kentucky played the #1 team in the country, not just in the SEC, but in the COUNTRY and probably the team that will win the National Championship, let's not throw Coach Brooks to the wolves like our little brother is doing in Looserville......
Stardust Wrote:Choke to me is when you lose a close game. Not when you get routed. Routed is a result of not having the players to compete. Now, if anyone truly believes UK will ever be able to recruit 5*'s and compete with the big boys, Keep Dreaming! Not going to happen if we had Bear Bryant here!
I even heard last night on the news some of the UK players saying they were just so fast (that being UF).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:I even heard last night on the news some of the UK players saying they were just so fast (that being UF).

It didn't take hearing that from UK for people to realize it, UF is the fastest team in the country, and that's what Meyer wanted, UK's punt was blocked and recovered for a TD by a running back. That's speed for ya, usually it's only the bigger guys who can get through the line and block punts like linebackers or safetys, Florida throws their running backs at you on punt blocks and bet you can't stop them.
we was Def. out matched
Batpuff Wrote:Holly crap lose one game and everyone is flipping out.... Did you honestly think they were going to beat UF.....and wildcatk23 you dont even know what football is.. You were the very one that was in the Lawrence Co and Sheldon Clark thread saying it was the most boring game you have ever been to... If you cant hang with UK when they lose get the f out then we dont need fans like you.

Well said
Batpuff Wrote:Holly crap lose one game and everyone is flipping out.... Did you honestly think they were going to beat UF.....and wildcatk23 you dont even know what football is.. You were the very one that was in the Lawrence Co and Sheldon Clark thread saying it was the most boring game you have ever been to... If you cant hang with UK when they lose get the f out then we dont need fans like you.

Are u kidding me? what does this have to do with the high school football? did i say i didnt cheer every play of the game? did i say that they was a disgrace? no! im saying that its time brooks hands it over to phillups, no i didnt think they was going to beat florida, im saying that brooks has been on the mike hartline bandwagon and he son it all by himself, he has great players in cobb, locke, and many others and wont use them effectively, why not run the wildcat with cobb and Morgan Newton, these guys have got some potential, we knew florida was going to score and what do we do? we go 3 and out every play just killing are defensive effort. dont tell me im not a uk fan, im saying when something is wrong fix it, and im not just talking about this game, we barely beat UL a horrible team, u think its going to get better? we need a change of direction on offense, we cant stick with hartline. someone needs to realize that, the guys on the radio sure do. are defense pays the price for are offense going 3 and out, we shouldnt do that to them
Mr.Kimball Wrote:If any of you all think that Kentucky will ever be able to draw the talent that Florida does , you are living in a fantasy world. There are single high schools in the state of Florida that can produce almost as many D1 prospects as the entire state of Kentucky produces. Schools like Kentucky has to rely on the overflow of talent that states such as Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Alabama has no room on their rosters for to even put a competetive team on the field with.

It aint Brooks.

Great Post, Understand, I just really hate that he starts hartline. A kentucky fan never settles, we always want more wins, more championships, thats why we are kentucky fans,
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions after a game like this.. It was a game you should have lost and you did.. You've won your other games, which were games you should win. Usually the between games, that could go either way, are the games that make or break a season. Until the talent level gets better, I don't know how much more you should expect. Thats no disrespect to the talent you have, but its true.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Great Post, Understand, I just really hate that he starts hartline. A kentucky fan never settles, we always want more wins, more championships, thats why we are kentucky fans,
I agree with what you're saying...to an extent. Kentucky fans need to remember what it was like not even a decade ago when we were on probation, getting beat by Ohio and embarrassed by Louisville. Yes, we've won three straight bowl games for the time in school history, and although our overall recruiting classes are being ranked higher each year it seems, we're still only recruiting well enough to rank 10th or 11th in the CONFERENCE. Think about that...UK has a top 35/top 40 recruiting class in the entire United States out of 119 teams, but still only ranks 11th in its own conference. UK simply doesn't have the talent or depth to compete with Florida...never has, probably never will. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening. I remember a few years, Rich Brooks made a very good point when talking about recruiting. I believe it was 2006, when UK started having solid recruiting classes (by UK standards). He said something along the lines of, "Sure, Kentucky is beginning to recruit better, but that doesn't mean the Floridas and the Georgias and the LSUs of the world are going to recruit worse." Kentucky has a long way to go in recruiting. I'm like everyone else on this board...I'd love to win 9, 10, 11 games a season, but to be completely honest, with the very recent history of this program, I'd be content with 7-8 win seasons and a bowl appearance every year.

You make a valid point, and if this were basketball, demanding more wins and better play would be fine, but I think we're still living in 2007 with Woodson, Little, Tamme, Burton, and Johnson. This offense is still VERY young and still somewhat inexperienced. They will get better! but expecting more from an offense against the BEST defense in the entire country would be asking a little much.
**** no Rich Brooks is my hero.
The Gators may have drilled us Saturday but you can bet your a## Tebow wont forget Lexington Kentucky any time soon. That hit was worth the price of admission.
I love Rich Brooks to death, but some changes need to be made in the staff. Brown just cannot cut it on defense. Joker needs to either let Randy Sanders make some offensive play calls or let him just completely go ahead and take over the play calling, because they are bogus sometimes and that's what makes Hartline look so bad IMO.

We undoubtedly have the talent to play with anyone in the country, but our play calling on offense and defense is terrible and if some of you cannot see it then you need to watch more closely.
Some coaches are very good at building programs and helping them to compete against teams they normally wouldn't have. Others however can step in and take those teams to the next level. Brooks has done an excellent job making UK competitive. When Mumme was here they really weren't very good even though they had some very talented players. I believe that UK needs to change the head man and maybe pass over Phillips and bring Leach back to the Bluegrass.
launchpad4 Wrote:Some coaches are very good at building programs and helping them to compete against teams they normally wouldn't have. Others however can step in and take those teams to the next level. Brooks has done an excellent job making UK competitive. When Mumme was here they really weren't very good even though they had some very talented players. I believe that UK needs to change the head man and maybe pass over Phillips and bring Leach back to the Bluegrass.

The things UK could have done with Woodson & comp. if Leach where still the offensive coordinator.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I love Rich Brooks to death, but some changes need to be made in the staff. Brown just cannot cut it on defense. Joker needs to either let Randy Sanders make some offensive play calls or let him just completely go ahead and take over the play calling, because they are bogus sometimes and that's what makes Hartline look so bad IMO.

We undoubtedly have the talent to play with anyone in the country, but our play calling on offense and defense is terrible and if some of you cannot see it then you need to watch more closely.
I agree. having 2 guys call plays is crazy! I don't understand having a Head Coach, Head Coach of the Offense, and an Offensive Coordinator. You can't 2-3 people do the same job on game day. There is too much confusion and friction. Like you, I feel the playcalling hurts Hartline more than what people think.
I agree. Too Many Chiefs and not enough Indians.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:I agree. Too Many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

You are both Young And Wise Grasshopper Smile
They may be fast, but there was no excuse for our "seasoned" qb to throw the ball into outer space above, past, beneath, wherever, but to a place where it is catchable. Set his butt, and let's bring out the five star qb and let's get them started for next year. If Kentucky really wants to hire a really good head coach look no further than Charlie Strong, Florida's defensive coach. For other people looking for coaches, he doesn't fit, but he'll fit fine right here in Kentucky. He'd leave in a heartbeat to get a team in the Sec to compete with his master. Please sit Hartline down, if he can't get a ball to a player, what difference does it mean how well the defense is doing. Plus as far as Meyer goes, he is a selfish coach, I don't care if Tebow wanted for him to stay in, he comes in on a different plane for health reasons, he's getting i.v. during halftime, and it's the third quarter and it's 31-7 and your about to score, in the name of what good reason, besides we can't stand him, would you leave your star qb in the game? Now his brains are just a little more scrambled. Thanks coach.